New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Terms and conditions for selling stock/royalty free photos

sumtiw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Terms and conditions for selling stock/royalty free photos

Hello FM'ers,

I hope you all are liking the slow transition from winter to spring. We are loving it here in CO.
So, I am planning to make a website to sell my pictures. I want to sell them as Stock photos or Royalty free photos. I forgot to add that I take pictures of aquarium fishes.
So now the big question is, in my website, how would I write the terms and conditions about buying my photos?
I'm sure you have to get the user agreement on the terms and condition before letting them download the photo right?
I am going to use photodeck to host my website. Would they have a set of terms and conditions?
Many of you have websites right? How did you get your set of terms and conditions?
Can I just copy it from some website? Or the terms are conditions are also protected by copyright? Just asking..

Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated.
Also, anything else that I need to know while starting my website? Right now it seems pretty simple to me. Buy the domain, make the website on photodeck.com and publish it. I am getting a feeling that this cannot be this easy. There must be something that I am missing out. Any pointers on that?

Thanks,
Sumer.

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:43 AM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Terms and conditions for selling stock/royalty free photos

Anyone?

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:02 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Terms and conditions for selling stock/royalty free photos

How are you going to get people to visit your website once it's built? Do you have a promotion or marketing plan? Do you have any kind of a business plan?

Does Photodeck offer the ability to sell files, i.e., allowing downloads only after payment has been verified? You will need heavily watermarked images on the site for preview so customers can't just grab the preview without paying. I suggest you look at some of the established stock photo sites to understand the mechanics of stock photo sales.

I would suggest reading John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" to find typical contract and license terms. Remember you are not selling the photo, you're just licensing it.

Have you registered your copyright for all your files? If not, do it now. You want all those files registered before putting them up.

<Chas>

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:24 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.