Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.

Hi.

So I have been having issues with metal prints coming back from the lab with poor results. The same exact file prints up beautifully on Fuji Pearl.. but every time I get a file printed on metal my files looks as shown.

Aspen Creek said that it's the way the ROES software is collaborating with the sharpening I applied. So they asked me to resubmit the order (still through ROES) and they would reprint it. Just got the test print back and it looks the same.

I have also had the same issue with Bay Photo.. but the only thing they told me was to look at my file at 100% to see how it would print. Ummm.. yeah.

Here are some shots of what I'm talking about. Has anyone run into this? It's very frustrating and I have had someone waiting on a large print for some time now because this can't be figured out. Don't mind the color cast. This was taken under fluorescent light.

Fuji Pearl

Same file on metal

Fuji Pearl

Same file on metal

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:46 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.

Oh.. and my sharpening workflow goes like this:

1. Deconvolution in lightroom.
2. Slight highpass after resizing
3. Unsharp mask

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:47 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.

I don't know much about printing on metal but that looks like a print profile problem to me. A couple of suggestions;

Send them an un-sharpened image, or perhaps better yet, 1/2 sharp, 1/2 not sharpened to examine the difference.
Ask them to send one of the standard colour images to check their profile.
Can they send a profile so that you can preview? Not sure if a profile in ROES is compatible with LR or PS.

Mike

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.