New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family trade for more than 90 years

We are traveling around Germany this weekend, near the Black Forest Region. We love to go look for castles and found one where it was nicely restored and had shops around it that were functional. In this shop we found a man that was carrying on the family business of making brushes. Not just any kind, really nice. In the first photo is a photo of his dad, more than 90 years ago when he started the business in Berlin.

This gentleman had since moved the business 24 years ago to its present location just next to the castle. I ask him what was the most difficult brush to make and he showed me a brush that was silver and over 400 years old. He said people will bring these kinds of brushes to him to redo the brush itself. I can only imagine the pressure of not screwing it up!

Here are the photos of some of what he makes and tools of his trade! Shot with Canon 1Dx and 24-105 f4

Enjoy!

© Herb 2014

Photo 1, His dad, 90 years ago

© Herb 2014

Photo 2, Just some of the brushes he makes

© Herb 2014

Photo 3, Tools of the trade, some of which were his dads

© Herb 2014

Photo 4, more tools of his trade

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:19 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Very well captured. Photographically, the story works together... and it is helped by the verbal story. Nicely done.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:48 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Good stuff, Herb. I lived in Germany for 6 years while with the military, writing for The Stars and Stripes -- so photos from Germany always have a special place for me. Bought my cuckoo clock in the Black Forest. If you make over to the Bavaria region, you should stop by and say hello to Jim Rickards!

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family trade for more than 90 years

We have been previously to the Bavarian Mountains. Neuschwanstein Castle is very interesting. We climbed the mountain next to it to get this photo on a previous trip to Germany.
friscoron wrote:
Good stuff, Herb. I lived in Germany for 6 years while with the military, writing for The Stars and Stripes -- so photos from Germany always have a special place for me. Bought my cuckoo clock in the Black Forest. If you make over to the Bavaria region, you should stop by and say hello to Jim Rickards!

© Herb 2014

Neuschwanstein Castle

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:57 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Been to Neuschwanstein four or five times, really enjoyed it. That's quite a hike up there, great job! I like this in b&w, but I think I might like it better in color.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Seanpowellfoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Family trade for more than 90 years

aLove the B&W

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:24 PM
KayakerChuck

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Nice pics & story.

Did you buy a brush?

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Beautiful shots, Herb. The last one is in my neck of the woods. I often bike to Schloss Linderhof, another of King Ludwig II's castles. Look me up if you are still in the area.

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:42 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Thanks Jim. We are up near Dusseldorf this trip. Good ole Crazy King Ludwig!

Jim Rickards wrote:
Beautiful shots, Herb. The last one is in my neck of the woods. I often bike to Schloss Linderhof, another of King Ludwig II's castles. Look me up if you are still in the area.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:40 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Yes, my wife bought two. The hair in them is cashmere goat from China. He said there is more fat in them and will grab the dust and hold it. All I can say is that it is the softest hair I have ever felt.

KayakerChuck wrote:
Nice pics & story.

Did you buy a brush?

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:16 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Climb back up the hill and take a color picture of the castle.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:09 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Lol.....I actually have color photos but they are not on my iPad and with me....I will post some after we get home. Next time, we will go further up the mountain to see what other kinds of views we can get......certainly is beautiful.
DaveOls wrote:
Climb back up the hill and take a color picture of the castle.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Family trade for more than 90 years

My mom wrote for Stars and Stripes in World War II. After the fall of Berlin she was there and her driver and her wandered off into the Russian zone and were captured. They were stuck in a small bathroom where they were able to climb out a window and made it to the British zone where they were taken back to the US zone......she does not talk fondly of the Russians at all.

My dad's brother was a pilot in WW II and flew B25 bombers. Got shot down over the Belgian oil fields and captured along with his crew. They escaped and made it back to allied lines. He flew again and made several more flights over Germany and North Africa only to get shot down again 4 months later, but this time went down in the North Sea. No one survived the North Sea.

My dad also took the pilots test in WW II and fortunately did not make it, and ended up becoming a mechanic for the planes in Europe, primarily England.

I am grateful for all veterans, for without them one could only imagine the world that we live in, how much more different it would be.
friscoron wrote:

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:40 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Family trade for more than 90 years

Herb,
A very interesting documentary set, and well photographed and processed.
There must be thousands of specialized "jobs" that a person would never think of.
And hand-made hair brushes is sure one of them.
Charlie

Mar 16, 2014 at 06:11 PM
Damianshaw

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Family trade for more than 90 years

excellent work

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.