Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lr5 vs Capture nx2

M_J_Helin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

So, I 'm currently using nx2. I have been thinking about lr5.

What are the differences between these two considering:
-noise reduction
-shadow and highlight recovery
-black and white conversion
-colours
-local adjustments
Etc

Thanks for any responses

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:16 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

I run both and I personally think that CNX2 does a better job with the camera profiles

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:29 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

I used to use both, primarily because the older versions of LR were not great on colors in the Raw conversion. That was fixed several versions ago and I dropped NX2. For me, the LR workflow and feature set is vastly superior. The U-point feature in NX is definitely a plus, but the rest of it seems lacking for me. The current LR has selective editing that works quite differently but allows similar end results. It has been a long time since I compared the features you listed, but I think LR competes well for each of them.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:02 AM
M_J_Helin
• •
p.1 #4 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

Ok, so there is apparently no need for me to get the lr5..

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

I would say there is a strong reason to get LR5, but not for the features you listed

Mar 16, 2014 at 03:05 PM
T Smalls

p.1 #6 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

I personally don't like the way LR renders images shot on Nikon cameras. CNX2 makes the images look like they look on your viewfinder. For me that makes my workflow simpler. I hate having to shoot an image, getting it how I want, then looking at it on a computer only to see it completely washed out.

Maybe I've been using LR wrong, but Camera Raw is pretty crappy in handling Nikon Raw images, in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

If I'm developing an image for real - to print large, for long-term portfolio, etc. - I ALWAYS start it out in CNX2, doing original conversion and base adjustments (including U-Point) and then move it to PS for final adjustments. There is just something about CNX2 that gets it right that CR misses. That said, I use LR5 for DAM and batch conversions of images that I really don't care about.

Peace,

Todd

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

Even if you were to start using Lr you should still keep at least View NX 2 on hand for extracting more information such as which focus sensors were used. Lr cannot do that.

Also, be aware that before long Nikon will abandon Capture NX 2 and replace it with Capture NX-D, which does not have the U-point interface. You can read Thom Hogan's take on this idea at this address. I'm guessing that future cameras will not be supported by Capture NX 2.

- Alan

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

Although I use CS6, it shares the same ACR as LR. Starting with CS5 and now especially CS6 the noise control and sharpening are far superior to what I could get out of NX2. ISO 3200 from my D300 was barely useable with NX2. Now it's like I have a new camera.

Granted the colors from NX2 are WYSIWIG, but shadow recovery is far superior in today's ACR. With NX2 I always found I ended up with a lot of blocking in the blacks.

Also today's ACR doesn't have U point technology, but you can still do local edits.

The interface is much more limited in NX2 as well. You can't push exposure more than 2 stops and there are limitations in other tools I find too restrictive.

When I used NX2 I still did my final processing in PS. As Alan mentioned, you can keep the free View NX2 to show where your focus points are. With landscapes at f20, that's not too critical.

I also keep View NX2 on my laptop just to verify my transferred images when I'm on the road.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:59 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

T Smalls wrote:
CNX2 makes the images look like they look on your viewfinder.

Green?

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lr5 vs Capture nx2

molson wrote:
Green?

Ha ha...

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:43 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register