Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

sundevilstorm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Fun evening walkabout with the kids at Lost Dutchman State Park with a passing spring storm. Was hoping for more blooms due to recent rain, but only the Brittlebush was showing. Fun with the Fuji Xt1... had the Canon 5DM2 in the bag and never took it out!

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM
matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Number 1 and 2 are real nice

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

I also like pic 1 and 2.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Hey Norm,

These are all great shots. They sure look really nice here. Not sure on a favorite as they all look good. But I have to say I cringed a bit with your leaving your good camera in the bag. For me, if a shot is worth taking, it's worth taking on my good camera's... Now it works for you, and I know it works for others, but for me... I just couldn't do it... my brain, body and heart would revolt!

Jim

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM
sundevilstorm
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

JimFox wrote:
... good camera....

Well Jim, it's a brave new world..

The Fuji sensor sensitivity beats Canon hands down....

As an Example:

shooting the Xt1 direct into the sun, underexposed, SOOC:

same image in Lightroom: Exposure +1 and Fill Light slider cranked to 100%

Canon5DM2 (similar image)

SOOC

Exposure +1, Fill light to 100%

Canon 5DM2: 100% crop - lots of noise

XT1 tweaked frame at 100%, not as much noise?

I'll do some side by side shooting this weekend.

And I must say, I'm not looking to replace the 5DM2 with the Xt1, but I did get the X-mount adapter to be able to use our L lenses on my Xt1

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:32 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Indeed the X-T1 is setting a few folks on their ear and making them take a hard look at what that sensor has brought to the table. I have no intention of replacing my former DSLR bodies. The X-T1 is rocking everything from portraits to landscapes.

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:36 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Why is this quoting bothering me?
I think I figured it out, Jim's was partially quoted, and also turned 180 degrees from what he said.

What Jim wrote:
JimFox wrote:
Hey Norm,

These are all great shots. They sure look really nice here. Not sure on a favorite as they all look good. But I have to say I cringed a bit with your leaving your good camera in the bag. For me, if a shot is worth taking, it's worth taking on my good camera's... Now it works for you, and I know it works for others, but for me... I just couldn't do it... my brain, body and heart would revolt!
Jim

But the re-quote was:
JimFox wrote:
... good camera....

As if he was endorsing this camera, which he wasn't. As a matter of fact, he was referring to a different camera entirely.

Also, now I see this was edited with some comparative shots to a different camera. But, this isn't the forum for that, the Canon forum would be. The image, standing alone as a landscape, should be proof enough. If your happy, then that's what counts. One thing I have observed on this particular landscape board over the years is that when photographers begin to downsize their gear, too big, too heavy, don't want to carry a tripod, don't use filters, etc. they also start posting less and less, and eventually disappear entirely from this genre.

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

I'm totally with Jim on this one. If I am out with photography as my main objective, I pack the best equipment I have for the session. I just don't see why I would compromise anything. Now when I am out on business or doing other activities such as biking or skiing, I'll take along my X100 and have some great photos that I would never have taken otherwise. Going to Kauai this fall you can put money on it that my 5d2 will be attached to my tripod 99% of the time.

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:22 AM
jmorris88

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Very nice set.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Nice work on the photos. I think you and your kids walked right through my scene as I was wrapping up for the night. It was my first visit to Lost Dutchman S.P. and I must say it was a great place to create a photo or two. I particularly enjoyed watching the clouds come and go behind the mountains as sunset approached.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Yeaaa.... Jim... Having used a canon 5d2 for quite some time i can tell you that yes, its a good camera, but the image quality has some real issues. The biggest being noise and banding in the shadows, even at base iso. So yea its a good camera but the canon 5d2 is almost 7 years old at this point. Almost every camera released last year has better noise and shadow response than the 5d2

JimFox wrote:
Hey Norm,

Jim

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

The images look great. Really love number 4. What lense are you shooting on the xt1?

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

If you can use GND filters or merge a few images so you don't need to fiddle with shadows, the 5d2 still produces some great images. I tried the 5d3 and saw zero improvements over the 5d2. Now personally I'm getting an A7r more for the pixels but the increased dynamic range will be a welcome.

killersnowman wrote:
Yeaaa.... Jim... Having used a canon 5d2 for quite some time i can tell you that yes, its a good camera, but the image quality has some real issues. The biggest being noise and banding in the shadows, even at base iso. So yea its a good camera but the canon 5d2 is almost 7 years old at this point. Almost every camera released last year has better noise and shadow response than the 5d2

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

killersnowman wrote:

Ha ha Tyler, well... I was trying to be nice to the Canon camera... personally, I would rather use a pencil and a piece of paper to capture a scene with than use a Canon camera... But like Craig said, this really isn't the forum for it.

Norm has some reasons why he likes the Xt-1, and if it works for him, that's great. Being comfortable with whatever we shoot with is key. But for me, maybe because I am not shooting with an old camera, but instead with the D800 and D800E, I would never chose a small format sensor camera in place of those two. I take those two, or the D600 where ever I go. I have the D600 with the 24-85mm in a small little case, and so even if the weather looks horrible with blue skies as I run to a local park, I just toss that in the back seat.

Jim

Mar 17, 2014 at 02:37 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Yea the comparison of using a 5D2 vs the xt1 is not the same as comparing the D800 to the xt1. The D800 is a relatively new camera compared to the aging 5D2. You say you would rather use the "good" camera... In this case the xt1 is the good camera

Cheers!

JimFox wrote:
Ha ha Tyler, well... I was trying to be nice to the Canon camera... personally, I would rather use a pencil and a piece of paper to capture a scene with than use a Canon camera... But like Craig said, this really isn't the forum for it.

Norm has some reasons why he likes the Xt-1, and if it works for him, that's great. Being comfortable with whatever we shoot with is key. But for me, maybe because I am not shooting with an old camera, but instead with the D800 and D800E, I would never chose a small format
...Show more

Mar 17, 2014 at 02:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Yep, all good points. And I guess I shouldn't have said anything in the beginning in regards to the camera, as I really don't want to take away from the fact that Norm got some really cool shots here. It's an area I have read about for years but haven't shot.

The compositions, the working of the light all show the work here of someone (Norm) who knows what they are doing, regardless of the camera used.

Jim

killersnowman wrote:
Yea the comparison of using a 5D2 vs the xt1 is not the same as comparing the D800 to the xt1. The D800 is a relatively new camera compared to the aging 5D2. You say you would rather use the "good" camera... In this case the xt1 is the good camera

Cheers!

Mar 17, 2014 at 04:53 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

Love the first 3!
Well done!

Mar 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

I'll disagree with some here and say a nice photo is a nice photo no matter what camera took it. Now if you are going to be doing some critical enlargement prints, that is another story. I would certainly use the best camera possible. But not a lot of people even do critical printing much less gallery work.

I remember getting a some flack here when I lived in Vegas and posted one of my favorite photos I have taken. I said something to the extent that I took my "junker" camera (the old 20D) and went out to just for fun. As an artist you do whatever works for you to produce whatever you are after, or whatever inspires you. Keep breaking the rules if it works for your own personal vision.

I enjoy #1 and 3 the most. Wish the moon was sized up a bit in #3 to look more like what the eye/brain connection sees.

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:01 PM
sundevilstorm
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

thanks all for chiming in! Sorry if I stirred the pot a bit... I truly appreciated Jim's comments, and everyone input. It caused me to look more closely at the capabilities of each of my cameras...

and looking back at the shots I took... I did find one Mark might like...

see you out there shooting folks!
(now where'd I put that Brownie)

Edited on Mar 17, 2014 at 09:33 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:06 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arizona Lost Dutchman park walkabout - Fuji Xt1

I saw a big moon like that once in Tempe!
It was awesome...

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.