New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

mattdoebler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Here's a macro shot I really worked hard to get. I was concentrating on nailing both my composition and my focus (no tripod). I considered cleaning up some of the rough edges in post, but I liked the organic feel of having the imperfections. CC welcome. Please and thank you.

http://500px.com/photo/63825563

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Looks washed-out to me because of the gray shadows. Consider adding a Levels layer and trimming the ends of the Levels scale to expand the gray scale to a more full range.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Thanks, the "washed out" post treatment is intentional.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

mattdoebler wrote:
Thanks, the "washed out" post treatment is intentional.

Not sure I follow the rationale for intentionally doing so. Maybe you could expand your intent / thought process as it pertains / relates to strengthening your desired message / goal for the image to convey to your viewer(s).

The Fibonacci is pretty clear, but I'm not understanding how/why a "washed out" treatment would help the viewer see it more clearly. Not saying it isn't potentially viable to do so, I'm just not understanding why you wanted to go that route with this piece, atm.

Maybe a before/after comp would help illustrate also.

Mar 15, 2014 at 08:42 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

"In the Fibonacci sequence of numbers, each number is the sum of the previous two numbers. Fibonacci began the sequence not with 0, 1, 1, 2, as modern mathematicians do but with 1,1, 2, etc. " Wikipedia.com

Not including a "full black" in my photo is my way of connecting with Fibonacci's decision to begin his number sequence at 1(substance) rather than 0 (complete nothingness). Full black, the absence of detail in a photo, is the photographic equivalent of beginning a number sequence at 0. Therefore, I made an editing choice that began with total substance (shades of gray), rather than nothingness (full black).

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:09 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

mattdoebler wrote:
"In the Fibonacci sequence of numbers, each number is the sum of the previous two numbers. Fibonacci began the sequence not with 0, 1, 1, 2, as modern mathematicians do but with 1,1, 2, etc. " Wikipedia.com

Not including a "full black" in my photo is my way of connecting with Fibonacci's decision to begin his number sequence at 1(substance) rather than 0 (complete nothingness). Full black, the absence of detail in a photo, is the photographic equivalent of beginning a number sequence at 0. Therefore, I made an editing choice that began with total substance (shades of gray), rather than
...Show more

Interesting explanation. I think this makes sense in terms of illustrating a concept. Aesthetically, it lacks punch IMO.
Scott

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:49 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Interesting critique, Scott. Thank you.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

In the zone system, zone zero is pure black and zone one would be slight tonality but no detail. As an old zone system user I just couldn't visually connect using zone III or so as the density base.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM
mattdoebler

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Very intriguing auntipode! Thank you!

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

I dig the explanation ... I always appreciate when someone does something with intent that actually has conceptual intent tied to the image.

As one who frequently does things that are too sublime for others to make the connection, I can appreciate it how the meaning for you has merit to the piece. Even as a math geek, I didn't make the connection on that one. Kudo's at the depth of thought in connecting the two ... although, it likely will be lost on most nearly everyone else (sans explanation) ... and yet, I appreciate it too (once explained).

Will have to digest it a bit, now that you've presented that perspective ... pretty deep thinking ... I'm diggin' the thought/concept, but still a bit "hmmmm" @ how to render.

My question would then become ... "Okay, so we are NOT starting the sequence @ 0 ... but, why start it at 44?"

If we are on a system of 2^8=256, then starting @ 2^1=2 would be the first step in the sequence. Starting @ 44 is starting more like 2^5=32.

In that regard, I think you can start with present your tonal values differently and still be true to the Fibonoacci.

In a similar, yet diff approach, you might look at the Zone system as Karen has mentioned, also not starting @ "0".

While I recognize the mathematical variance between Fibonacci, stops and Zones, I think you've got more latitude in creativity to still be aligned philosophically than you've exercised in your concept shot. If you really compare the summation of Fibonnacci to the exponential they of course won't mimick each other, but they may correlate better than one might otherwise initially think.

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:09 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finding Fibonacci CC Welcome

Looks fine to me. Just enough DOF. FWIW

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.