Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

Herb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

My son is taking part in the Triatholon, "Escape from Alcatraz". I am going to watch and hopefully gets some photos. Biggest question, what lenses do I take?

I have everything available (just about).......so what should I take with me?

Camera 1Dx - mine, 7D - wife's
Lenses available, 800L, 500L, 400DOL, 300L II, 100-400, 70-200, 1.4x, 2x plus a bunch of other lenses.....

Anyone gone and shot there before?

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Herb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

Anyone?

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:46 PM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

Herb wrote:
My son is taking part in the Triatholon, "Escape from Alcatraz". I am going to watch and hopefully gets some photos. Biggest question, what lenses do I take?

I have everything available (just about).......so what should I take with me?

Camera 1Dx - mine, 7D - wife's
Lenses available, 800L, 500L, 400DOL, 300L II, 100-400, 70-200, 1.4x, 2x plus a bunch of other lenses.....

Anyone gone and shot there before?

Herb wrote:
Anyone?

I've never shot a triathlon but the choice of lens would depend on how close you are to the runners

if you bring all those lens (including the 800L) then you're covered

otherwise the 300L, 70-200 and the 24-105 should be enough for most situations

Mar 14, 2014 at 09:46 PM
IonCannon

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

It largely depends on where you plan to be when taking pictures. I think something like a 24-105 and a 100-400 would cover a lot of options though.

I think if I was going without knowing much planning/knowledge of the course I would just take the 70-200 and find a friendly location.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Escape from Alcatraz, what lenses do I need?

I have not raced Alcatraz before, but I've done many other triathlons, and unfortunately, they are not a spectator-friendly sport...this one in particular.

The race site has this to say about watching it:

Where is the best place to watch the race?
A: Marina Green is a great place to watch the swim start and swim. Marina Green Beach just west of St. Francis Yacht Club is a great place to watch the swim and swim exit. Marina Green is the best place to watch transition. Marina Blvd is a great place to watch a portion of the bike and run portion of the race. There will be grandstands along both sides of the finish chute to watch participants finish the race.

I can't tell you what lenses to use because I don't know the crowds and access on this one...however, I do have a couple of suggestions...

- Know his bib number, swim cap color and brand of wetsuit....they will all look alike coming out of the swim
- Near the transition area is probably your best shot at getting him coming/going on the swim, bike and run.
- Do a google search of images from this race to find out what the spectator areas look like...this is a big enough race, you may need a tall monopod to get above the heads in front of you to get a shot.
- The 'sand-ladder' on this one is iconic, but it is out on the course and I don't know how close you can get.

If you choose to try to get a shot of him out on the course, it will probably be only one and you may not make it back in time for the finish....these races usually have an army of photographers out on the course and at the finish anyway.

Good luck to him!

-David

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password