Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I sent in a few cameras to nikon last week and never got a response from nikon. I finally decided to call them up only to be told that it would be over a week just for them to acknowledge that they received the shipment!!!!

Is this sort of crud normal? How do pro's tolerate this?

(and yes, I am an NPS member)

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:07 PM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

There are probably thousands of people sending their cameras in. It's a lot to manage.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:17 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

swoop wrote:
There are probably thousands of people sending their cameras in. It's a lot to manage.

Canon seems to manage just fine.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:25 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

Inku Yo wrote:
Canon seems to manage just fine.

Doesn't Canon charge for CPS?

NPS if it helps service timing has to be part of the submission for repair. As for how we tolerate it? Easy, NPS gives free loaner gear. All you do is pay for shipping.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:53 PM
loosetrucks

p.1 #5 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

They may be backed up because of the free repair they've extended to all D600 owners in response to the dust/oil issue.

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:07 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

SGallant wrote:

NPS if it helps service timing has to be part of the submission for repair. As for how we tolerate it? Easy, NPS gives free loaner gear. All you do is pay for shipping.

I am not even looking for free loaner gear. I would not even want a loaner body as I would have to check for MA adjustments on my lenses. Hell, I am not even expecting fast total turnaround, just let me know that the package got there ok! That should take one barcode scan.

If I were a higher volume shooter, this would make me jump back to canon.

Edited on Mar 14, 2014 at 08:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:15 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

loosetrucks wrote:
They may be backed up because of the free repair they've extended to all D600 owners in response to the dust/oil issue.

NPS should be a different queue though, I would gladly pay if that is what it took to have NPS really meet the needs for "pro service".

I have gotten better service from canon even without CPS.

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:19 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I'm assuming you filled out the requisite repair request before sending it etc right?

Just sent my first repair in to NPS earlier this week. 24-70 focus developing a squeak and lack of smoothness when focused manually.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:50 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

TTLKurtis wrote:
I'm assuming you filled out the requisite repair request before sending it etc right?

Just sent my first repair in to NPS earlier this week. 24-70 focus developing a squeak and lack of smoothness when focused manually.

Yup, every i dotted and every t crossed

The lady on the phone barely let me finish my question before she responded "yes we are backlogged, it is normal for it to take over a week" (to acknowledge receipt). This is the LA facility

My box had over 5k worth of equipment in it (2x d800, plus a d600), so it is not unfair for me to want to know things arrived safely.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:51 AM
Phyl
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I usually send to NY, but I've never had them not acknowledge receipt right away.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

SGallant wrote:

Nominal fee, but their service is excellent. Turnaround is fast. We get free demo equipment, too. You just have to time it right.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:45 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I used NPS once, and that was that. The people at CPS knew me by name - my Canon gear was in there nearly once a month (that was a whole debacle...), but their service was fantastic. The one time I dropped my gear off at Nikon I had nearly a two week wait. Thankfully, that was the only time in 4 years that I had an issue with my Nikons. If they were problem-cameras, that would be a serious issue for me.

As a side note, Leica gets my vote for best camera service. They replaced an entire sensor, no questions asked , did it as a rush job, and overnighted it to a friend of mine to get it to me in time for a shoot. And only charged labor (expensive, but not as much as you'd think). Granted, for what you pay for their cameras they better have great service. But I was surprised to see such a small company putting the big two to shame.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:47 AM
bthatton
• • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I've sent things to Nikon for repair on Long Island many times. I usually have the item back within a week. Longer if they're waiting on a part.

I always get a loaner sent next day so it really doesn't bother me how long it is. The loaner dept is really on top of things.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:43 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I sent to NY - we'll see how it pans out.

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:25 AM
leethecam
• •
p.1 #15 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

In the UK CPS membership is free - although based on how much qualifying kit you own, which also dictates the level of CPS (silver, gold, platinum).

I must be a triple platinum by now - ha... But when I take it in to Elstree, (nr London) in person, I can often get kit back in less than 3 days. It's been known for them to look after me whilst I pop out for a coffee.

Sounds a bit lame with the Nikon treatment, but not the first time I've heard of it. (Mind you, people complain about Canon so nothing's perfect).

Mar 15, 2014 at 09:26 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #16 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I'm an NPS member, and have had good experiences with them. But I know countless people who have had equipment lost for over 4 weeks before it was found and still unrepaired.

Super unprofessional, and I think Nikon's market share is so wrapped up in D3200 and D5200's that they just kinda' don't really care about anyone who isn't Cliff Mautner.

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:30 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

1) NPS is very slow to respond to emails
2) NPS is pretty hard to talk to on the phone. Most everyone I've talked to on the phone have no idea what I'm talking about.
3) Anything you do with them takes 2 weeks. Occasionally 4.
4) They've always done a fantastic job.
5) It's free.

Right now they're handling the biggest recall, maybe in the history of the company. Every single D600 is being sent in for the recall, even if it doesn't have the problem. I would send my D600 if I owned one!

The first notification I get that they've received my gear is usually an invoice about 10 days after I shipped it, ha!

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

SloPhoto wrote:
...I am not even expecting fast total turnaround, just let me know that the package got there ok!

I feel your pain. But I assume it was shipped insured with a courier that requires a signature. Can't you track the package?

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

NPS is mainly concerned with a few dozen "superstar" photographers that they are heavily invested in, including stooges like Doug Gordon (who was an ardent Canon user until a couple years ago, and quite publicly slammed Nikon at his workshops). There is a sizable NPS staff in the US, but it's a big secret who they are, and how helpful they might be. If you're Joe McNally, you probably have the cell phone number of the director of NPS. If you're just a working professional photographer, who may be a loyal Nikon user for decades, but you don't have any name recognition, you're outta luck with NPS. Yes, it's a free service, but you get what you pay for.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Jack Brinn

p.1 #20 · Nikon/NPS ridiculousness

I've sent lenses and bodies to Nikon several times, both LA and NY, and always used the UPS tracking numbers to keep me informed of deliveries and times. No problems.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password