Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

PS Bridge Corruption

Odyssey1812

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PS Bridge Corruption

Has anyone seen PS Bridge CS6 corrupt NEF files on Windows 7, while trying to write metadata into them (XML files)?

I purchased a Nikkor 16-35 f4G ED AF-S VR lens to use with my Nikon D600. It seemed like only this combination created NEFs that PS Bridge would corrupt (about 10-40% of the files). After the NEFs were corrupted, I could not open them in ACR! I couldn't reproduce this with the D600 and any other lens. However, when I downloaded the NEFs into my Mac Mini (OS X 10.8.5) with PS Bridge CS6, those same NEF files were viewed fine, and I entered metadata into them and could open them in ACR. When I copied them back over to the Toshiba Qosmio, it was able to properly view them in PS Bridge. I should also add that I have a cheap Toshiba Satellite U945 with Windows 8.1 with PS CS6, and it exhibited the exact same behavior as the Toshiba Qosmio with WIndows 7 on it. It would appear to me that Adobe PS Bridge CS6 for Windows is causing this corruption?

Thanks,
Wing.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · PS Bridge Corruption

Seems highly unlikely.

Bridge/ACR and Lightroom never modify camera manufacturer raw files (NEFs, CR2s, etc.). Raw development settings for those files are either kept in a central database or in separate XML files.

The only source files potentially modified by those programs are DNGs, Jpgs, TIFs, and PSDs.

I would suggest looking elsewhere in your workflow and try to exclude potential culprits (camera, memory card, card reader, disk drive, etc.) very carefully, step-by-step.

What can cause confusion sometimes is that raw developers and viewers can be showing you the Jpeg preview that is embedded inside the raw file and that preview may display correctly even if the rest of the raw file is actually corrupt. That can give you the impression that the corruption is occurring later in your work flow than it actually is.

If you see truly convincing evidence that the files are becoming corrupted after being copied to your PC, I would still consider general disk degradation or malware as more likely culprits than Bridge/ACR.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password