New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Archive Creator

colorchange2

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Archive Creator

I loved archive creator for backing up my images on DVD or bluray. I am trying to download version 3 and can't find it anywhere. I'm a licensed user and have the codes but can't find the source code anywhere. Cnet and others only have version 2.

Can anyone help with version 3 or is there another product that works as well, especially splitting and spanning disks.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Archive Creator

that software was discontinued about 3+ years ago by pictureflow software. yep it was pretty darn useful.
originating author: Michael Tapes
http://michaeltapesdesign.com/index.html

he has left it all behind

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Archive Creator

Have you checked out 7-Zip? I have used it for years and I believe it will take care of your needs. Check it out and it's free:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Archive Creator

not the same type of product. this was a photo-centric product that created an archive with neat thumbnails and pretty good disc spanning abilities
a nice catalog program

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM
colorchange2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Archive Creator

I do wish he would let someone host the program. Does anyone happen to have it?

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Archive Creator

I think I tossed mine after it no longer worked with my OS and drives

Mar 14, 2014 at 01:17 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Archive Creator

Backing up to DVD's? I guess if you don't shoot much or are very selective on what is being archived. A word of caution, make sure the DVD's are stored correctly and not near destroying items like sunlight or ventilation registers etc... While not exactly the same, this method is more reminiscent of the floppy being used to backup a computer, ie many small ones to equal the capacity of something larger for the sake of portability and archival storage. At some point that model breaks down under its own weight.

Actually used Archive Creator for a short time. It was good for what it did and might still be if its capability were to also support hard drives. Once I reached 75+ DVD's it just started to make less sense and was too cumbersome to effectively manage. BTW: this was before Blu-Rays were available, which was probably a blessing in that I learned early on to find a better way.

IMHO its time to consider a change. A simple toaster dock ie external dock that allows a hard drive to be push in it. 1 or 2 Tb sized drives are dirt cheap.

Then of course, there's the matter of developing a backup strategy to accompany it.

JMTC

Mar 15, 2014 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.