New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Camera Profiles in LR

Jason_Brook
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Profiles in LR

Just curious to see what folks use. I've been chasing matching the jpeg straight out of camera, I get it close, but the colors never match up quite right. I lived with "camera standard" for a while, but I'm just not happy with it. Last night I switched a bunch of pictures to D2X Mode 1 v4 and I'm really liking the tones/contrast, but there seems to be a cast of some sort thrown on some of the pictures; a slight golden/metallic look on skin tones. For 75% of my pictures, I could live with the jpeg, but I shoot raw so I have the ability to play if I want. I just want the raw to come into lightroom, have the default applied, and be done

One of the things I've wondered about is....camera standard, landscape, portrait; are they D600/700/800/7000/etc standard, landscape, portrait as in unique to each body or are they global?

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:11 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Profiles in LR

Technically, every sensor made is individual in and of itself.

If you're having noticeable issues within Lightroom and feel that more control is needed.

The simplistic answer is in a passport color checker. This provides a 'base' level of continuity and adjustment based on a particular camera body, lens, lighting scenario and provides the simplest way of making those adjustments in a factor or means that is quantifiable, and not just willy-nilly.

The added time to workflow is minimal vs. benefit. And adding control PAST that point to monitor and printer (if needed) is the completion of that whole "profile" thing, adding what I believe you are after.

I've used the X-Rite color checker here for a couple years instead of a huge card. The packaged software is pretty slick and incorporates into Lightroom as though it was written as a part of the software. No complaints whatsoever.

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:24 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Profiles in LR

Why not shoot RAW + jpeg? Or use Capture NX2 or the new NX-D to convert your RAWs, which should give you a pretty dead-on match for the jpeg?

I use Camera Neutral because I prefer to add my own contrast and saturation based on the image. The best I can tell, Camera Neutral is pretty much the same for files from my D800 and D600. When I had the D7100, I noticed the files had a slight, but consistent, magenta cast compared to those from my other two bodies.

Josh

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:33 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Profiles in LR

I also cussed the x-rite color checker and created a dual illuminated profile for my camera. It made a noticeable difference, not huge but worth the effort. I have never tried to match the Jpeg so do not know if it would help that particular issue.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:01 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Profiles in LR

I use the colorchecker, or the Portrait profile

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Profiles in LR

Is the color checker once and done? Or is it one of those deals where I need a color card in every group of shots to reference off of?

D2X Mode 1 v4 on top
Camera Standard on bottom

Mar 13, 2014 at 06:16 PM
Mohun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Profiles in LR

My personal, completely subjective and preferred color palette has been based on the venerable Nikon D2X Mode II after some experimentation with various Nikon color palette alternatives starting with Lightroom 2.X and my D80, and progressing through LR 5.3 and Nikons D200, D300, d700 and my current D610 (a bit of NAS at work here). LR 5.3 does not provide D2X Mode II for the D610 but I use a so-called "cross camera" LR plug-in from PS Kiss which provides what to my eyes and calibrated monitor is an impressive emulation of the Nikon D2X Mode II "look". I've even used the PS Kiss versions which have been separately designed for my Canon S100 and my Panasonics GF1 and GX1, which have been my travel cameras.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Profiles in LR

I almost always start with Camera Neutral (wildlife, natural light) and adjust to taste. The only jpeg involved is the file I upload to Flickr and then delete from my computer.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Profiles in LR

After playing around more, camera portrait AND neutral seem to be very similar to D2X mode 1, minus the color cast.

This is something that has frustrated me for years

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:59 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Profiles in LR

The colorChecker is used two different ways. The first step is to create a custom profile that will calibrate your camera. When you import images, you use that instead of camera standard/adobe standard/d2x, etc. This is a one time event. You can still use those others on selected images but I rarely do. The second way to use it is in an individual shot to allow correction of the specific lighting. For this you could use a simple grey card or the other side of the color checker, which is a neutral white.I also rarely do that now, but it is used as needed. It is more important for color critical work such as commercial photography. In pictures like you posted, "correct" color balance is not always most pleasing to the eye.

You could put it in a single test shot of a session, use the eyedropper to get the neutral color balance for the set and then correct to taste for each picture. I used it in the shots more often when I first got it, but not so much now. It can help to train you to see what true neutral looks like. You will eventually be able to judge by eye.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:20 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Profiles in LR

I use custom profiles from the ColorChecker but find that they tend to over-saturate blues and reds especially in low light shots. Typically -10 to -15 adjustment - for both colours - in the LR calibration panel takes care of that for me.

Mar 14, 2014 at 09:42 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Profiles in LR

I find colorchecker over saturates the greens and I have to haul them back in. Its great once tweaked

Mar 14, 2014 at 09:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.