Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

Wow, this is sad, though not wholly unexpected.

The ironic thing is that in my area (Washington D.C.), the most reputable local dealer was Penn Camera, which closed a couple of years ago, then Calumet bought/took over their stores. I only managed to visit them once and they were still restocking their shelves. Now they will close too.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

P.S. I agree that it's sad to see Calumet go. I've been a customer in New York, Chicago, and London. I guess London's shops will remain.

Mar 14, 2014 at 01:20 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

henryp wrote:
Best Buy, Staples, CompUSA, Ritz, Radio Shack, now Calumet. All multi-site retailers, all struggling or gone.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

And this is just the beginning. The entire retail landscape is changing and has already changed over the past decade or so. I took this photograph in Seattle on the very day that Sharper Image announced the closing of all its stores.

- Steve

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:17 PM
tuttlejr
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

To be fair, state sales taxes should be collected for all internet sales. Then the
playing field would take care of most sales.

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:39 PM
you2
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

Not sure; amazon collects sales tax but i still use them.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:07 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

I heard they locked out employees from the stores indefinitely, not to mention that they still have their personal belongings in there (as well as camera bodies that were scheduled to get their sensors cleaned). Also an interesting note is what is going to happen to all the rentals that are still out and/or pending to go out that are paid?

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:24 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

In addition to the market forces making things difficult, it sounds like there was a fair amount of mis-management and poor decision-making going on as well.
http://petapixel.com/2014/03/13/exclusive-calumet-employee-reveals-happening-behind-scenes/

The total and utter disregard for customers and employees that is evident in how they handled this bankruptcy makes it hard to NOT believe that it was being run like crap. Customers with their cleaning/repair orders locked in shuttered buildings? Employees who left their job one evening can't come in the next morning to get their personal effects? Come on. Just a total and utter disregard for EVERYONE. I worked at a restaurant once that went out of business because the manager turned all the revenue into white nose candy and snorted it, and even that guy had the decency to let us collect our personal effects and collect our last paycheck. Their handling of this is just incredible and inexcusable IMHO.

I'm dying to know how much the people in charge have been getting paid for the last few years, but can't find anything so far.

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:17 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

you2 wrote:
Henry are you at liberty to comment on B&H status (struggling, prospering ....) ?

A little yucky isn't this query? Are we at liberty, to ask you, and your house its financial, now, and say, 100 years? This person has commented on a public situation, and despite their own dealings being public, it is not our concern, nor business, to entrap them with such a question, besides, isn't that being a bit tackier than I?

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

The SF store took down it's web site , I never was happy with it's service people , but once in a while they had good sales .

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

I also noticed Canoga closed or was closing. Just to make sure my post has "Canon content" I have purchased a bunch of Canon equipment there.

Jim

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jvphotos
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

Cord Camera (midwestern chain) also closed their last store this week (Wednesday).

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:01 PM
ronno
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

I posted this prior in the Nikon section, but probably should have posted it here first:

While I liked Calumet for a lot of things (their delivery service was great. We could schedule them to drop off equipment for a shoot on location, and they were always there either on time, or early. Well done there.)

HOWEVER: I remember at one time purchasing $60K worth of Mac computers, cameras, lighting equipment to expand a studio (we had had an account with Calumet for years) and the "Medium Format" guy who sold us the stuff would not come to the studio to support the connectivity/tethering issues we were having!!

[the issue ended up being that the Canon software was not yet able to support dual CPUs, so one CPU had to be turned off in order for tethering to work. This solution took me many days to figure out, and many hours on the line with Chuck Westfall, Apple, etc. Even Chuck didn't know the answer, I stumbled across it by simple trial and error...but not before a week of frustration had passed decreased productivity...)
So yeah, we had spent thousands of dollars more than we needed to in order to have a local "value-added" dealer and a SUPPORT SYSTEM in place, and they failed us big time - no support! After a $60K purchase!

So it's really no wonder that a store which touts it's "Support" as a reason to buy from them instead of mail ordering from B&H, Amazon, etc. and then does not provide even mediocre support, would fail. This was a real farce, and I never forgot it.

Another thing: I probably ordered a $400,000 worth of gear from Calumrt for the various studios I've managed over the years. Some of the sales people were great, and some of them not so much.
I think they should have done a much better job with their website. When everyone knows that everything is going online, how could they have an almost unusable web presence!?!
Searching for a camera by name would not yield the camera. And they typically had announcements such "Announcing the new Canon 5D Mark 3" and keep it there for close to two year after it was launched.
I really don't know how a photo business could put their website on the back burner, when its web sales which are eating their lunch.

Does anyone know why they didn't bother to make it usable e-commerce site?

I guess what I am saying is that you cannot just point fingers at other companies (B&H, Amazon, etc.) and proclaim that the lowest price ruled the day. Because even when customers were willing to pay the "value-added" premium, this company failed to deliver. This is their fault and no one else's.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:54 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
A little yucky isn't this query? Are we at liberty, to ask you, and your house its financial, now, and say, 100 years? This person has commented on a public situation, and despite their own dealings being public, it is not our concern, nor business, to entrap them with such a question, besides, isn't that being a bit tackier than I?

Yeah He won't be able to say. Only as outsiders we can only surmise that most of the former discount camera stores should of made the transition to internet sales fine.

Camulet's problem is they weren't competitive in prices and relied on the old school. "Industry sales will support us" The problem, Industry moved out of hollywood and all the other locations they had. They bought a Retail operation Ritz when retail sales for camera equipment was already going down the tubes. Sure its nice to have a physical place to pick up things in an emergency. But if you don't have the local population to support it or the logistical reasons to have more than one warehouse. Having multiple heads doesn't help.

The industry for lowend/volume based camera sales for the most part is dead. You don't need a specialized camera store to sell those. You can buy those at your local gas station.

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:32 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

tuttlejr wrote:
To be fair, state sales taxes should be collected for all internet sales. Then the

With all due respect - collected by whom?

The state that the item is shipped to>? If so, then its giving the state a windfall. What did the state supply? There was no "brick" and no "mortar" as internet sales tax proponents like to throw around.

The reason why there was no Internet sales tax is because of the US Supreme Court decision regarding a total lack of nexus between the state and the seller in the case.

Why should a state that provides nor adds anything to the sale be allowed to collect sales tax? If anything, the selling store state should collect sales tax because they provide police, fire and other government services to facilitate the sale and delivery of the goods.

Collecting Internet sales tax is nothing more than a phoney-baloney way to get more tax dollars for states that like to tax and spend. It will do nothing whatsoever to help local merchants - and that's what the snake oil proponents of Internet tax use as their justification.

More lying politicians.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:18 AM
jvphotos
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

If I order something online, in order for it to get to me the delivery guy uses the government's roads, and the driver's safety and safety of the cargo is (mostly) ensured by the city's police. If theres a fire at the delivery hub, you still need firefighters. And where i live, city salt trucks and plows are necessary for me getting packages much of the year. I hate taxes as much as the next guy but even if you don't have a problem with giving e-stores an advantage over brick and mortar stores, I think we can agree that the infrastructure is getting used to get that package to my door.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:11 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

tuttlejr wrote:

Probably they should. But even with taxes online stores for the most part are still significantly less expensive than B&M.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

I gotta admit - while in theory I liked the idea of having a major local retailer I only went to Calumet once and never cared to repeat the trip.

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

tuttlejr wrote:

I disagree with that sentiment.

Here in New York State, I buy from B&H and Amazon and pay sales tax. I’ve bought but a few times out of state to save on sales tax, but found the sense of uneasiness and unappealing terms imposed by those retailers a sufficient turn-off that I returned and continue to buy from B&H and Amazon. In that case, the playing field is weighted towards excellent service and consumer-oriented policies … as it should be in an American free-market society with “fair & field-leveling” government overreach kept in check.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:17 PM
zenengr

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

At the risk of this devolving too much into politics +1 on keeping the government out of as much as possible. It is sad that we're losing B&M stores, but with the shifting trends in consumerism, businesses have to adapt or fail. Calumet's online presence was poor and they had almost 15-20 years to create it depending on when they started to pay attention.

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:45 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Calumet Announces Immediate Closing in the US

I am very sad to hear this news... My favorite local camera store was Penn Camera in Tyson's Corner, VA. Bought my first SLR there in 1995 (a Nikon F50) , must've bought and developed hundreds (maybe thousands?) of rolls of film there since the mid-90's, and I regularly count on them for my odds 'n' ends items like tripod plates, gear bags, flash gels, seamless paper backdrop rolls, bulbs for my video lighting fixtures, etc.

Penn went belly-up in 2012 and Calumet saved them, keeping most of their larger DC area locations up and running, including the Tyson's Corner store. It even seemed that they were doing much better since the takeover, and they were always busy when I popped by, including two weeks ago, my last time there Didn't seem like there was anything amiss.

I hope Penn/Calumet's Tyson's Corner store figures out another miracle, because I really count on them. If any of the Calumet/Penn employees read this, know that you guys do a great job, and I hope you guys can keep on keeping on.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password