1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon 1 V3

Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Nikon 1 V3

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
It's always possible to find areas where the V3 doesn't work as well as some of the alternatives, but you can't put a D300 in the your pocket and you can't change lenses on an RX100. The RX100 is f/1.8 only at wide angles. When it's needed the most, and longer focal lengths, the maximum aperture becomes tiny The V3 is a modular, pocketable system camera. The only cameras that compare to that are the Pentax Q and the smallest m4/3 models.

I agree with everything you said, but I still think it's too bad that Nikon wasn't able to improve the DR and higher ISO performance of their 1 inch sensor to be closer to the sensor in Sony's original RX100, which would not be considered new tech now.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Nikon 1 V3

Jeff Kott wrote:
I agree with everything you said, but I still think it's too bad that Nikon wasn't able to improve the DR and higher ISO performance of their 1 inch sensor to be closer to the sensor in Sony's original RX100, which would not be considered new tech now.

It's a pity, but they probably chose that sensor to be able to offer the unique AF capabilities. You gain some, you lose some

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Nikon 1 V3

itai195 wrote:
If this was about $600 I would buy one. $1200? No way.

It is about $600.

Add an EVF ($300) a grip ($200) and a lens ($200) - now you're over $1200! Do the same with the Olympus E-P5 and you get an even higher price tag...

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Nikon 1 V3

I don't care about the grip or the kit lens, so where can I buy a V3 with the EVF for $900? I can buy an A6000 with a built in grip and EVF for $650 or an E-M10 for $700. The E-P5 is overpriced as well.

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Nikon 1 V3

itai195 wrote:
I don't care about the grip or the kit lens, so where can I buy a V3 with the EVF for $900? I can buy an A6000 with a built in grip and EVF for $650 or an E-M10 for $700. The E-P5 is overpriced as well.

Lol. Who cares? Don't buy it if you don't want to. That's the beauty of first world problems. They don't really matter!

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:27 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Nikon 1 V3

itai195 wrote:

Do you or anyone really buy a camera based on price though ? If you want want the Sony NEX offers, then I'd think you'd buy one regardless of price, same as if you wanted something like an OVF, you'd go with a Fuji offering. If you want 40 FPS at full rez, native AF using any Nikon G mount lens etc, you'd get a V3.

It's not like someone would have zero interest in the A6000 but suddenly because its a mere $300 cheaper they choose to buy it instead.

Granted, V3 isn't cheap, and priced above many cameras in the market, which maybe isn't the best strategy, but then again, I don't think its something you buy instead of a Fuji etc, its something you buy in addition.

I think of it just as an expensive photography accessory/tool, and like most photographic tools, its darn expensive, but if it helps do a job, then its worth the money.

If your not specifically interested/have a need for very high frame rates, and a stable of Nikon G glass you want to get a 2.7x TC for, or the need for the above along with a silent shutter, I can't really see anyone buying it.

At the same time, anyone who covers sports like the PGA tour (or any level of golf) I would consider it a must have purchase

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Nikon 1 V3

millsart wrote:
Do you or anyone really buy a camera based on price though ?

On the spectrum of being price sensitive to price insensitive for photo equipment, I'm pretty far towards the insensitive end of the range. Having said that, if the V3 was $600 with EVF plus extra for the lenses I'd really want for the system, I'd be much more likely to consider it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:00 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Nikon 1 V3

Vern Dewit wrote:
Lol. Who cares? Don't buy it if you don't want to. That's the beauty of first world problems. They don't really matter!

Sorry for expressing an opinion

I am somewhat price insensitive, but I am sensitive to pricing that I perceive to be a ripoff. The V3 hits that standard easily.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:21 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Nikon 1 V3

itai195 wrote:
I am somewhat price insensitive, but I am sensitive to pricing that I perceive to be a ripoff. The V3 hits that standard easily.

That's what I meant to say.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:31 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Nikon 1 V3

I'd add that everyone is price sensitive at some level. If the V3 cost $10k, even if it filled a need, how many people would buy it?

The V3 does fill a need for me. I've decided I value the solution it provides at $600. I'll get by with my other cameras for the time being. It absolutely is a first world problem, but isn't everything we discuss on here?

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Nikon 1 V3

itai195 wrote:
I'd add that everyone is price sensitive at some level. If the V3 cost $10k, even if it filled a need, how many people would buy it?

Enough people buy the "Leica" versions of Panny cameras for a premium - exact same hardware with a Leica logo. I guess enough people are willing to try it anyway! And I didn't mean to be snarky, I just get tired of all the complaining over the price. IMHO, if I can get an 800mm stabilized lens on a small body that's easily worth the 2k - provided it actually works (i.e. the lens is good enough and the setup allows shooting at those extreme focal lengths).

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:25 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Nikon 1 V3

millsart wrote:
Do you or anyone really buy a camera based on price though ? If you want want the Sony NEX offers, then I'd think you'd buy one regardless of price, same as if you wanted something like an OVF, you'd go with a Fuji offering. If you want 40 FPS at full rez, native AF using any Nikon G mount lens etc, you'd get a V3.

It's not like someone would have zero interest in the A6000 but suddenly because its a mere $300 cheaper they choose to buy it instead.

Granted, V3 isn't cheap, and priced above many cameras in
...Show more

Actually that's what I think everyone who bought the Canon EOS M did. At the full retail price, it's full of fail and the worst camera in the world. They fire sale it at $300 and suddenly it became such a vital tool that people couldn't live without it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Bill Hollinger
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Nikon 1 V3

I’m intrigued by the possibility the v3 might be as good as a D3s for tracking fast moving animals running straight toward the camera. The Nikon D3s does a good job with this, but I’d love to have an alternative to lugging the D3s and lenses with me. The fact it apparently shoots good video is a plus - especially if it will keep fast moving subjects in focus.

The 70-300 f5.6 sounds good, but I find I am almost always using apertures of f4.0 and faster (mostly faster) to get fast shutter speeds. I think I’ve seen posts saying that using the adapter with, for example, a 70-200 f2.8 lens, limits you to a center focus point. If so, doesn’t this limit the usefulness of the camera for AFC tracking?

Thanks,

Bill

Ummm this makes no sense on several counts...

1) Having owned a D300 before, and also having several V1's, I can assure you that the V1 AF is hand downs better than the D300.

V1 AF is right on par with my D3s, if not even slightly faster

2) The V3, with the FT1 adapter, can have access to any and all Nikon G mount glass that the D300 could use, and you still have AF etc.

On top of that, some of the CX glass ,like the 32mm f1.2, are fantastic lenses

3) What other camera can give me 60 FPS at full 18meg resolution ?

I've owned plenty of compacts that might do a fast burst mode, but its a silly web resolution. Whole reason I order the V3 is because I had some client complaints with images from the V1, asking if I didn't give them the full size file.

To each his own, but the Nikon One series is a pretty unique professional tool and I can easily justify the price

May 10, 2014 at 06:41 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.