Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Colorbyte Software

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorbyte Software

Anybody print with this software? If so, do you find this program adds value to your printing workflow.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:59 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorbyte Software

A lot of fine art printers use ImagePrint. It's a great piece of software and one of the best features if they support your model of printer is a huge collection of profiles for almost every paper imaginable. Very very good black and white as well.

Mar 13, 2014 at 07:41 AM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorbyte Software

I used Imageprint for about 4 years on a windows XP system driving an Epson 2200 printer. The main reason I bought it was that it nailed B&W (perfectly neutral) when no other method I tried on the Epson 2200 could do that. Color prints were good too, but not significantly different from color prints produced by printing with Photoshop using Epson drivers and canned profiles.

Two years ago I upgraded to a Windows 7 machine and got an Espon 3880 printer. Colorbyte would not sell an upgrade, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Epson 3880 produced very good B&W using Epson driver and canned profiles. Excellent color prints too.

At about the same time, a member of my photo club also bought an Epson 3880 and Imageprint to drive it. He produced a set of 11x14 comparison prints using Imageprint vs. Epson driver and profiles. He brought them to a club meeting and several members reviewed them.

Bottom line - most people had trouble seeing any differences in the color prints at normal viewing distances. Only when the prints were layed one on top of the other and inspected very close could differences be seen. And even then, opinions on which was better were mixed. The B&W prints were virtually identical.

The color prints were all on Epson Premium Luster paper. There were two sets of B&W, one set on Premium Luster and one on an Epson Matte (with matt black ink, but I can’t remember which paper. I think it was plain old Epson Enhanced Matte).

The conclusion was that Imageprint was not worth the additional investment, at least on the Epson 3880. In my opinion, Imageprint got its good reputation and had value 5+ years ago when printers were not as good as they are now. But the current offerings from Epson, Canon, and maybe HP are vastly improved over old technology. Imageprint may still offer an advantage, but you have to decide if that advantage justifies the significant cost.

The Imageprint advantage is probably greater if you print on a wide variety of papers from different 3rd party suppliers. But in the example of Epson printers on Epson paper, I don’t think Imageprint is needed.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:21 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorbyte Software

As redcrown said, if you just want to make good prints, it doesn't bring much value to the table in 2014. The printer manufacturers have long since improved their drivers and ink sets. Paper manufacturers have also largely seen the value in providing good profiles.

It's the other stuff that's where the value lies.

If you need to make longer prints than the driver allows, ImagePrint will go to 100 feet.
If you need to lay out multiple images on a page or roll, ImagePrint does that. (But today, so does Lightroom—albeit with less flexibility and more waste—and so do some free manufacturer plug-ins and utilities.)
If you need to do some fancy automation, it supports scripting with Tcl.

If you're just looking at a Hahnemühle profile (to pick a frequently guilty party) and thinking "man, I wish this made better prints," you can buy a lot of custom profiles for the cost of one ImagePrint license. ImagePrint's profile library tends to invoke the same false economy as the HP Z-series printers; yes, it comes with hundreds of profiles, but how many papers do you actually print on?

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:39 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorbyte Software

Great responses from everybody. Thanks a lot. For the moment you have saved me a lot of money.

Mar 13, 2014 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password