Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

m.sommers00 wrote:
Bingo. Not only will ISO performance be compromised, but I feel like shooting 600mm equiv. on a system this small will be very difficult.

I'd love to be proved wrong but my gut feeling is that there have to be serious compromises somewhere with a system at such a reduced weight, size and price vs. their FX counterparts.

I agree - I'm sure there will be inevitable compromises, especially in terms of ISO and per-pixel sharpness.

I'm not sure anyone shooting with a 500mm f/4 on a D800 with a full Gitzo/Wimberly setup is going to find satisfaction in this kind of camera. I guarantee there's going to be a minimum of a 2-stop disadvantage for ISO performance, and I've never found the color and clarity out of the 1-series cameras to be particularly stellar. I'd think someone who had dropped the better part of $10k on their equipment would be looking for those details.

All that said... this could ride in a pretty small backpack on short business trips, go hiking with me to places I'd never bring my full setup, maybe even free me up to stop compromising on some lenses. I also see a tremendous amount of utility in this setup for birders or other wildlife buffs looking to simply capture their sightings. No idea if I'll actually buy any of it, it's just appealing to think about.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

binary visions wrote:
Focal length is a physical property of the lens, and aperture is a function of that focal length.

300mm & f/5.6 are actual, real numbers that are the same whether your sensor is 1" across, 2" across, or 10' across. A FX lens, DX lens, CX lens or an all-in-one P&S lens have a real focal length with a real aperture.

People are so used to the 35mm/FX field of view - the view of a lens on a 35mm camera - it has become the frame of reference for everything. If you have an 18mp FX camera and put
...Show more

Well explained sir!

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Gary Irwin wrote:
Nice idea, but as the owner of a V1 -- trust me -- it won't. I know on paper the V3 looks good but packing 18MP into a 1 inch sensor comes with some serious useability trade offs...as anyone used to FX or even DX performance will quickly find out. CX has it's place, but for serious wildlife or low-light work? Forget it.

An thus it comes back to price ... the CX system looks great on paper, but is over-priced given that similar M4/3 systems are the same or lower price. The M4/3 systems have better ISO performance than CX though it does seem the CX system is the best of the bunch for AF.

Now if Nikon would sell us the body with the EVF & Grip without the kit lens for the price of a D5300 body only, I would be interested ... VERY interested and would likely be getting a new camera body to compliment my D300. Or even better, sell the kit with a kit lens that has a filter ring for the same price as the D5300 + kit lens ... oh, that's only $900 not $1200 for the kit with a gimped lens.

Edited on Mar 16, 2014 at 08:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

binary visions wrote:
I'm not sure anyone shooting with a 500mm f/4 on a D800 with a full Gitzo/Wimberly setup is going to find satisfaction in this kind of camera. I guarantee there's going to be a minimum of a 2-stop disadvantage for ISO performance, and I've never found the color and clarity out of the 1-series cameras to be particularly stellar. I'd think someone who had dropped the better part of $10k on their equipment would be looking for those details.

But it's worth giving it a try.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Chris Dees wrote:

I will grant you that if you have the money ... and with a decent tripod set-up in good light, it may just work for you.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Chris Dees wrote:

No doubt about it - like I said, I am tempted myself. Though for me, I'm more tempted that it would let me unload, say, my 80-400mm and some other lenses to shift to a "big rig" (500mm f/4 etc.) and then have a small rig for more casual shooting.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

The 80-400G is already (almost) enough money to fund the V3 + 70-300. :-)

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:12 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Yep... I'm just afraid of commitment

Don't want to sell off the 80-400mm, which I like very much, only to find out the V3 + 70-300mm isn't sufficient for what I want to do.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:15 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I would never sell off my gear to replace it with a CX series, but I would certainly look at adding to the collection, complimenting it if you will.

The CX to me is the best compromise format for this segment (I'm sure many know why), though a bit higher on the price tree than I would like. Nothing new with Nikon there though. Maybe my exceptions need to be reset, I don't know.

Mar 17, 2014 at 03:46 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

The more i think about this system, more i am convinced about the possibilities. And forgive the long post as youbwill see that i am trying to convince myself more than the others. Right now i am faced with the choice of buying a Tamron 150-600 or "may be" this.

Assuming the 70-300 is steller, in the same league as Nikon's latest offerings like 70-200/4, 80-400 etc..the price point certainly gives a clue...

And assuming the V3 is good..by which i mean optimum for the sensor size...say 2 stops below the latest APSC sensor...and 3 stops below D600..so that you can use ISO 800 without any problems...(on my RX100MII i could use 1600, so its possible).

And assuming the VR is of latest gen...4 stops..so that you can pull off 1/125 instead of 1/2000 for a moving animal..and 1/250 instead of 1/4000 for action...

Assuming that there is no mirror or shutter slap to account for and there will be 1 stop gain in this regard...my experience with DP Merrill says that it really helps get sharp shots at ridiculous speeds...

And assuming i can fire off a series of shots because the AF and burst rate is incredible..and pull off at least 1 sharp shot as a result of that...(which is a normal practice with DSLRs)...

Then suddenly it starts looking exciting...

With my D800 i am at 1600-6400 if i want shutter speeds like 1/500 to 1/1000 in the evening, and i am talking about my recently sold 300/4 which doesnt even have VR...

I have tried Tamron 150-600 and i own 70-200/4 and people who own 80-400 will testify that the VR is really helpfull in bringing down the shutter speeds considerably. I have taken a tack sharp still shot with Tammy at 600 1/60.

We use speeds like 1/500 to 1/1250-2000 for action shots because of the nature of the gear...long lens/mirror etc...but really even 1/250 to 1/500 max can nail it if there is no slap of any kind and VR is good the way it is nowadays...

So with this system, you will be shooting at 1/250-1/500, ISO 160 to 800 in evening for action...daylight is not a problem in any case...

Only fly in the ointment, and this is a big one.."the look"...if i am a documentary guy and happy taking the mug shots of birds etc..fine. But this cant compete with the kind of backgrounds/foliage look that i get with the big primes...and i am not talking about the creamy background only...i will get that if i am near the subject..i recently took a shot with my 300/4 and compared it with the same shot taken by a guy with 500/4..its a black buck jump crossing the road...there is a huge difference...with the 500/4 background is beautiful and with 300/4 (at that distance) the highlights are pointed and coarse...they dont melt away in a dreamy way...

We can not do this with a 300/5.6 as far as creating art is concerned...unless we are at a right distance...from a distance, the foliage will look coarse, and the brown/black gaps beteeen the branches/trees will stick out and spoil my mood Also that typical shot of a beautiful bird on a branch with creamy background...not possible from a distance.

But for majority of shots where DOF is required and scenery etc...looks like this system is as good as any. Bottomline is good light in any case, irrespective of the lens, for such shots. Like a herd of sheep/cows, where i have to stop down heavily to keep the last one in focus.

So, this may really be a replacement for FF and 300/4 or 80-400 type lenses (which incidently is equally slow in terms of light/speeds)...both for near and far shots...but not for a FF+big prime rig (which is obvious )

One last point, and i am thinking aloud, is about DR/bracketing. At 20 frames per second we can even bracket the action shots So the DR should not be much of an issue.

Benefits: Small system/All the benefits of (silently) machine gunning your subject/ focus accuracy (this is a potential hazard and insomnia generator in dslr's, i am always nervous buying a lens for them), and focus speed of course, and lastly, the incredible reach. Now that its 18mp, that's also covered nicely.

Above is basis my experience with a similar sized sensor camera (RX100MII), a similarly specified lens (Pana 100-300) and a short experience with 300/4 on a FF body.

Of these, RX100MII was fabulous but fiddly and difficult to use. Pana 100-300: i have taken some lovely shots with it, but optics not great at long end and forget about tracking on EM-5. Then, 300/4: front focussing, i don't have patience for this thing now.

You can see that V3 addresses all the limitations of the above, assuming the IQ is at least as good as RX100.

Edited on Mar 19, 2014 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2014 at 05:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TMaG82
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I'll be honest, I'm very intrigued by what I see, so much so that I'm considering placing a preorder and giving it a try. I know most of you guys are main Nikon shooters and would be considering this as a 2nd system but not me. My main is a Fuji X-T1 which I really enjoy, shooting it with the 18-55, 14, and 35. Previously shot a Olympus E-M1 and 12-40, 25 prime. I really like the output from my Fuji. So here is why I am thinking the V3.

- I rarely, if ever print.
- Lately, I rarely, if ever PP. That's why I like the Fuji, the OOC jpegs are fantastic.
- reason for not PP, is between a full time job and a 12 month old, I don't have the free time.
- I'm anticipating my daughter being quick on her feet and I need fast AF. I need a small package due to having to carry so much other stuff.
- I would like better than average video quality. The Fuji has some pretty crappy video, the Olympus was better but still subpar. I heard the N1's have better than average video.
- I like the modular approach. My wife who liked using the Oly but hates using the Fuji is a cellphone camera user, meaning she frames using the LCD. Never uses the viewfinder. So can use the EVF for me but pop it off for her.
- I tried the whole 2 camera approach, but she considers it a waste. I've gotten her at least 4 different cameras in the past year (RX100m2, Canon EOS M, GX7, etc) and they all end up on the B&S here.
- She likes something small she can carry in her purse.
- at the end of the day, when is enough IQ enough? Obviously there is a trade off between sensor size, lens size, price, etc. I know that this will not have the DR, clean ISO performance, etc of a aps-c sensor or Ff. It'll lag behind even a m4/3.

Im pretty sure I'll get it and if it's adequate enough I think I'll make it my primary. I don't shoot enough to warrant having a drawer full of bodies and lenses.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

You sound like a perfect candidate for the V3 and the Nikon 1 system. Hope it pans out for you in every respect.

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:19 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Exactly how fast is the AF of this system, judging by V1...?
Is it faster than a D4? A D7100?
Like OMD EM5 in single shot mode?
Someone knows?

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

there is no exactly how fast scenario. it depends on many variables. like lighting and optics used.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

There are two things that will keep me from buying a V3:

1. 29 minute recording limit.
This could be overcome by a firmware upgrade of hack.
Panasonic now offers unlimited continuos recording of 4GB segments.

2. Micro SD cards are so easy to loose and hard to handle with big hands.
Might as well get used to it. These are the future, especially in smaller cameras.
They already have 64GB class 3 (sustained 30MBs for Video) cards available.

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:32 PM
bgbs
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

RRRoger wrote:
There are two things that will keep me from buying a V3:

1. 29 minute recording limit.
This could be overcome by a firmware upgrade of hack.
Panasonic now offers unlimited continuos recording of 4GB segments.

What do you need to record for 29 minutes?
I never record anything past 5 minutes.

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:50 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

IIRC it's 40 frames RAW

You can now get a 64GB class 3 (sustained 30MBs) card to extend that.

Mar 19, 2014 at 04:33 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

binary visions wrote:
Yep... I'm just afraid of commitment
Don't want to sell off the 80-400mm, which I like very much, only to find out the V3 + 70-300mm isn't sufficient for what I want to do.[/quote

If at all possible, get "Hands On" first.

Otherwise buy from someone with a "No Quivel" return policy.

You should be able to sell the 80-400 G quick enough to pay off the Credit Card when due.

Mar 19, 2014 at 04:45 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

TMaG82 wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm very intrigued by what I see, so much so that I'm considering placing a preorder and giving it a try.

1.- I would like better than average video quality.
The V1 has better than average Video, this promises to be better.

2.- I like the modular approach. My wife is a cellphone camera user, meaning she frames using the LCD. Never uses the viewfinder. So can use the EVF for me but pop it off for her.
This approach apeals to me as well.

3.- She likes something small she can carry in her purse.
I can carry the
...Show more

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:04 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

bgbs wrote:
What do you need to record for 29 minutes?
I never record anything past 5 minutes.

I record the Church Sevice for about 70 minutes
and unattended Bowling for about 90 minutes.

I do not have to be behind the GH3 to record unlimited (4GB segment) Video
nor do I have to worry about hitting the (re) record button in time.
Nor is there any noticeable gap between segments.

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:11 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password