Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

CanadaMark
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

workerdrone wrote:
Not having ever shot with a 1 series, how would this get along with something like a 200/2 or 500/4?

What's the recommended F mount adapter run you and would you still get 20fps in focus? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

They will get along very well, but at 540mm and 1350mm respectively, all the shutter speed and long lens rules still apply. You keep the F2 & F4 of those lenses though, and you will be using only the very center glass of those lenses to cover the CX image circle, which are as good as it gets.

The adapter you need is the Nikon FT-1. The latest firmware update allowed for AF-C using the center AF point with this adapter (Note you need to update the firmware of the FT-1 itself via the camera).

The V1/V2 could do 10/15 FPS respectively with AF with the FT-1, so I see no reason why the V3 won't be able to. If anything, I'd think those pro lenses would keep up to those AF speeds better than the kit lens.

Another thing to note with the FT-1 adapter is that VR does work, however it is on the entire time. The VR on/off switch on the side of the lens is how you turn it on and off, not via half press of the shutter. Again, that may change with the V3, but that is how it works with the V1/V2.

They are great little cameras, I love my V1, and it is the best underwater camera I've used for the price (the Polaroid/Meike housings are excellent and only $125, rated to 140ft). I suspect they will make one for the V3 as well, given the similar size & shape to the V1.

No catches with the adapter other than that you are limited to the center AF point only, unless the V3 allows for more.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:27 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Pity about the battery and the memory card.

With a D800 and a D7100 in my bag, a mini camera that also takes the EN-EL15 and SD cards would be nice. Too bad only the V1 appears to have done that. Maybe I'll pick one up used and give it a whirl. Still looking for a camera for my wife, the last Canon S100 I got her jammed up with the lens out and I fear repair will be cost prohibitive.

I'd think a lot of people would be thinking like this - they're invested in the Nikon system, make it irresistible to keep on going and collect them all - like with Apple. You buy one product, you start buying them all, since they just work so well together.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM
DWOfPaul

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Does any one know if this camera can do bracketing?

If this camera can do bracketing I may get one. The price isn't to bad when you consider the lens alone goes for 300 on it's own.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:37 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Wow! 20fps continuous auto-focus and 60fps full 18megapixel resolution? I wonder how they pulled it off with such a small body? Sony could learn a lot from Nikon and Aptina on this.

The lack of proper hotshoe, lack of integrated EVF and the use of the silly micro-sd cards are the only big downers with this camera. Don't really understand why folks put micro-sd cards in devices much larger than a phone such as 10" tablets.

Mar 14, 2014 at 03:12 AM
kdrk888
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
Could have been if it was DX and had the full set of manual DSLR controls. See my post above.

For me, if Nikon makes something like the new Sony A6000 which has the 24 MP APS-C sensor, I will be the first in line. 11 fps in the A6000 is plenty fast for me but Sony doesn't have a native E-mount 80-400mm lens.

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:37 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

This is another Fail for Nikon in the Mirrorless department. I bet in a few months they will reduce the price significantly. Nikon is blatantly crippling their mirror less offerings so that they don't compete with their DSLRs. Its pathetic.

MircroSD? Fail
No Built-In EVF like the V1? Fail
New Battery. Fail
No standard Hot Shoe. Fail

It's not rocket science Nikon.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

If it weren't for interchangeable lenses, I'd rather have the Sony RX 100/ II

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Wow! 20fps continuous auto-focus and 60fps full 18megapixel resolution? I wonder how they pulled it off with such a small body? Sony could learn a lot from Nikon and Aptina on this.

The lack of proper hotshoe, lack of integrated EVF and the use of the silly micro-sd cards are the only big downers with this camera. Don't really understand why folks put micro-sd cards in devices much larger than a phone such as 10" tablets.

Well, I looked at official ISO 800 sample earlier today and it looked very, very bad. That's probably why they got million FPS and 2 million MPs.

Mar 14, 2014 at 01:09 PM
2of9
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Hmm. Interesting. I would love to lug this guy around at smaller parties. Hopefully the price of the body does come down. I am really digging the Nikon's 1 series though.

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:06 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Is there an easy flash trigger solution to hook up a pocket wizard or something to get around the non standard hotshoe and weak/expensive accessory 'speedlight'?

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Quick impressions review of the V3 here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v3/nikon-v3A.HTM

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:31 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

60FPS is called video.

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

CanadaMark wrote:
Quick impressions review of the V3 here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v3/nikon-v3A.HTM

Sounds good, this hands-on makes the V3 (and 70-300) higher on my wish-list.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:03 PM
CanadaMark
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

DWOfPaul wrote:
Does any one know if this camera can do bracketing?

If this camera can do bracketing I may get one. The price isn't to bad when you consider the lens alone goes for 300 on it's own.

Unfortunately it cannot, however it does have a built in HDR mode. You can also bracket manually very easily, though I agree it isn't as convenient as AEB.

Body only price is $899 CAD, $1299 full kit. Likely to be $799 USD (since the kit is $1199 USD).

Compare that to the RX100 II and it actually seems like quite the bargain, given that $750 RX100 II sales are high. Nikon is obviously trying to capitalize on being the only useful mirrorless camera around from a fps/AF/buffer standpoint. They could not charge what they are charging if they had the usual CDAF-only AF that most other mirrorless cameras use.

The Sony A6000 seems promising, but the buffer is fairly small at 11 frames and AF performance between frames has yet to be discovered as far as I know. All their promo videos showcasing the 11FPS have subjects whose distance from the camera doesn't change, so it's tough to tell how well it works. You need fast moving subjects toward/away from the camera to tell. Sony is the only other manufacturer bothering to put useful AF for moving subjects in their mirrorless cameras, so good on them.

Edited on Mar 14, 2014 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM
CanadaMark
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Chris Dees wrote:
Sounds good, this hands-on makes the V3 (and 70-300) higher on my wish-list.

Yeah, I admit I originally scoffed at $1000 for that 70-300VR however it appears built extremely well, and it has super ED elements in it (only other lens to have that is the 200/2 VRII). The MTF charts for that lens looks excellent as well. If it can provide pro-lens image quality out to 810mm for $1000 without having to strap on a FT-1 and a 300mm F-mount lens, that is actually a bargain.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:06 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I continue to be baffled by Nikon's mirrorless body strategy. First you had the v1, a really nice first effort. Some warts including controls and price. The market wouldn't pay the price so nikon, which seemingly made tons of them, had to dump them at the end. Then the v2...ugly, but seems to have fixed many of the v1 issues, but again way overpriced. This time, it doesn't seem that nikon made that many of them so prices have held up better, but volumes are much lower. Now the v3....I just don't get it. You have to strap on the evf, and if you do you can't use an external flash. Use of micro sd cards is just silly and will keep people from buying the camera all by itself. Lastly, on price, once again nikon is radically over estimating what that market will bear. If they don't make many of the v3 like they did with the v2, prices will hold up, but they will not sell many of these cameras regardless. I'm thinking of upgrading our v1, but have zero interest in the v3. Might look for a v2, missed one on the bay that went for a good price...time to keep looking.

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 07:50 PM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2014 at 08:17 PM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

why is everyone bashing a memory card? memory cards are cheap and become obsolete in a year or 2 anyways. some people bash fps, some buffer, some iso, some mp, I just dont understand how all the bashing of a new product not released yet but on paper looks to beat the d4s in every department for 1/4 the price. what am I missing?

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:51 AM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Can't answer for all, but for me (as with a lot of people), I have a ton of sd cards already as there are so many devices that already use them, they are probably faster than the micro cards as well. So added cost (not major) to have a special card for this camera. It just doesn't seem like it adds anything to me, and in fact detracts a bit. As for the d4s analogy, no way any of the v cameras come close except in fps...certainly not in dynamic range, high iso iq, controls, etc....But hopefully the v3 performs well.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:40 AM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

JeffAUSTIN wrote:
....I just dont understand how all the bashing of a new product not released yet but on paper looks to beat the d4s in every department for 1/4 the price. what am I missing?

Yeah, Nikon really missed the boat by not releasing this one in time for the Sochi Olympics!

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:45 AM
jwpstl

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Sneakyracer wrote:
This is another Fail for Nikon in the Mirrorless department. I bet in a few months they will reduce the price significantly. Nikon is blatantly crippling their mirror less offerings so that they don't compete with their DSLRs. Its pathetic.

MircroSD? Fail
No Built-In EVF like the V1? Fail
New Battery. Fail
No standard Hot Shoe. Fail

It's not rocket science Nikon.

You give Nikon too much credit. They aren't "blatantly crippling" mirrorless to protect DSLRs...they really have no idea what they are doing in any phase. The DX line is a mess in pro bodies and in lenses, the FX bodies are stagnant and when they do release a good one they have serious issues they ignore until the din is so loud they can't ignore it any longer. Can you say "class action suit"? I'm a very loyal Nikon user but I don't have much respect for the way they are runnng their business these days.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:21 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password