Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

CanadaMark
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I think everyone with sticker shock will be more happy with the body-only price, when it comes. In fact, Nikon may be gauging response to the kit price before they finalize the body-only pricing. A lot of people will want this body to use with their existing 1-series kit and also with the FT-1 and F-mount lenses.

The Kit lens is $299 separately, and it's safe to assume the viewfinder and grip both are approximately $200 each. Subtract that from the kit price and you get $500, which IMO would be very competitive for this body. I realize you usually get a discount with kit bundles, so maybe $549 or $599. Still OK IMO.

For those of you saying it needs a bigger sensor, that would require them to abandon their entire line of lenses, the mount, and accessories like the FT-1. The sensor size works well. When the V1 came out, the 1" sensor had the same image quality as the M43 competition. The Sony RX100 II and it's 1" sensor is also selling very well at $750, and it's just a P&S. Larger sensors also mean larger, heavier, and less compact glass especially as you get in the mid-tele range. There is also no large sensor mirrorless camera that has even close to the same AF, FPS, or buffer. That is likely an advantage of the smaller sensor as well, and one area Nikon maintains a huge one-up over the competition.

I think V1 --> V3 is a nice upgrade path, skipping over the V2.

Edited on Mar 13, 2014 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:27 PM
myam203
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

VinnieJ wrote:
They would have to change the mount otherwise it will end up looking like the Pentax K-01. In other words it would probably be at least twice as thick.

I understand the technical limitations of the existing design, but putting that aside, Sony made the A7, Fuji has the X-series and Olympus/Panasonic have Micro Four Thirds. The big complaint about those mirrorless cameras if AF speed and tracking, yet Nikon has seemed to work that out very well in these cameras. Why have they chosen not to compete, when it seems like they could easily dominate that market?

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:28 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

myam203 wrote:
I understand the technical limitations of the existing design, but putting that aside, Sony made the A7, Fuji has the X-series and Olympus/Panasonic have Micro Four Thirds. The big complaint about those mirrorless cameras if AF speed and tracking, yet Nikon has seemed to work that out very well in these cameras. Why have they chosen not to compete, when it seems like they could easily dominate that market?

Then two different mounts for their DX line? Not to mention a whole new lineup of DX lenses. They already have issues supporting their current DX lens lineup.

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:43 PM
dannywkyang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

myam203 wrote:

I don't shoot wildlife but I think Nikon found a nice, little niche market in wildlife shooters not able to shell out $10,000+ on a long tele-prime. This kinda explains (at least to me) why Nikon is still making the V series despite not being competitive at all with the rest of the market.

With the features provided (naturally high crop, good image quality, unbeatable mirrorless AF performance) in the V series, you get a very good wildlife camera without breaking the bank (or your back). One can even say as a wildlife shooter, you're most versatile with the V series since you don't have to carry huge gear to get your shot and you're not limited anymore as to where you can setup to take your shot.

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:48 PM
myam203
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

VinnieJ wrote:
Then two different mounts for their DX line? Not to mention a whole new lineup of DX lenses. They already have issues supporting their current DX lens lineup.

I don't know if they have issues or not, but they certainly seem to choose to ignore serious DX shooters with their 1,001 variations of 18-XXXmm lenses and no pro bodies.

dannywkyang wrote:
I don't shoot wildlife but I think Nikon found a nice, little niche market in wildlife shooters not able to shell out $10,000+ on a long tele-prime. This kinda explains (at least to me) why Nikon is still making the V series despite not being competitive at all with the rest of the market.

With the features provided (naturally high crop, good image quality, unbeatable mirrorless AF performance) in the V series, you get a very good wildlife camera without breaking the bank (or your back). One can even say as a wildlife shooter, you're most versatile with the V series
...Show more

This is true, and I'm not saying these aren't great cameras, but I just think Nikon is missing the big boat here. I know someone will say "go buy a Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic then, you have plenty of options", but I want the Nikon version, because I think they could do it better.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this any further. Sorry all!

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:55 PM
Trevorma
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

www.nikon.ca has the body only listed at $899 Canadian

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/Nikon-1-V3/Nikon-1-V3.html

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Nikon's CX system seems pretty cool and they keep improving the V# level body in good ways. The lens line-up is slowly filling out too. Kudo to Nikon for that.

What I don't get is the price. We have all-in-one super-zoom P&S cameras for <$500 and similarly you can purchase an entry level DSLR for ~ $500 with a kit lens. Yet somehow the CS system is so much more expensive. I thought the whole point of mirrorless was that it reduces cost. If Nikon would use that model, they would slaughter the competition ... but instead they are going for Cadillac prices. And it's not just the bodies, but the lenses too; e.g. a $100 70-300 when the DSLR version is $100 less? I don't get it.

Too bad, because the V3 looks very interesting as a compliment to my DSLR system.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:02 PM
kdrk888
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Andre, could the V3 be your D400?

Can't wait to see the IQ of the sensor.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

VinnieJ wrote:

The larger idea that Nikon missed completely was that mirrorless allows two things:

1) smaller for the same sensor
2) lower cost for the same sensor

Nikon seems to have gotten the smaller bit ... unfortunately with a small sensor. And they completely missed the "lower cost" part of the equation. Someone at Nikon is getting greedy and going for high margins but at the cost of being competitive in an over-all shrinking camera market.

What Nikon should have done in introduced a consumer-level mirrorless DX F-mount body nearly identical to the D3XXX to reduced costs ... split the cost savings with consumers thus improving margin and lower prices at the same time. Then follow up that winning position with a similar smaller body with a new mount but still DX sensor size and the corresponding lens line-up ... in other words, CX with a DX sensor and prices similar to the corresponding DSLR. At the same time, scrap most of the P&S business.

Get lean and mean and don't worry about self-scavenging as either way it's a sale ... but the low prices with high performance will eat at the competition.

As for the V3 .. if you are going to charge that price, make it slightly larger (F-mount & DX) and use it to replace the D5XXX series.

That would rock the photography world.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

kdrk888 wrote:
Andre, could the V3 be your D400?

Can't wait to see the IQ of the sensor.

Could have been if it was DX and had the full set of manual DSLR controls. See my post above.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

According to Nikon Canada the body is 900, kit is 1299 CAD. Kit is the only way this is worth it IMHO. http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/27695/Nikon-1-V3.html

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:27 PM
euua
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I agree

I will have to look into maybe getting one of those for my brother hiking trips next year in Arizona.

Vern Dewit wrote:
According to Nikon Canada the body is 900, kit is 1299 CAD. Kit is the only way this is worth it IMHO. http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/27695/Nikon-1-V3.html

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:40 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

dannywkyang wrote:
Interesting ... so when you add the grip, you have TWO shutter buttons in the same orientation? Or am I missing something here?

they said it's a grip, not a vertical grip

it looks like a NEX-6

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:41 PM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I just pre ordered, i made a nice 20x30 print with my nikon J1 so I am gambling that this new sensor will be almost twice as good actually the adjustable viewing screen is all i really wanted for an upgrade...everything else is just a bonus. thank you nikon.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:40 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

"At the same time, scrap most of the P&S business."

That is likely their most profitable segment.

Rarely is a consumer business's most profitable segment/products their best and most expensive products. How many P&S do they build and sell for every DSLR? My guess is that their total margin on each P&S is a higher percentage than for each top end DSLR camera or pro level lens.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

kzoockof wrote:
"At the same time, scrap most of the P&S business."

That is likely their most profitable segment.

Rarely is a consumer business's most profitable segment/products their best and most expensive products. How many P&S do they build and sell for every DSLR? My guess is that their total margin on each P&S is a higher percentage than for each top end DSLR camera or pro level lens.

Most profitable and quickly shrinking. They need to reduce the number of models they offer to reduce R&D and production costs ... the more proper statement is "scrap most of the P&S line-up" and focus on a few bodies that give people what they want.

Long term, the P&S is going extinct except as an accessory to a smart phone.

Mar 13, 2014 at 06:01 PM
thebrianking

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I'm interested in it's features but not interest in this price… so disappoint about the price…

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:08 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

thebrianking wrote:
I'm interested in it's features but not interest in this price… so disappoint about the price…

You know this is a package price with two optional accessories and a lens, right?

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I thought the Dutch were famous about whining about prices.
Too much whining and bashing from people who never tried a N1.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:19 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

Not having ever shot with a 1 series, how would this get along with something like a 200/2 or 500/4?

What's the recommended F mount adapter run you and would you still get 20fps in focus? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password