New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

My workflow is essentially a view and quick edit of RAW in DPP then I will do the complete edit in CS6 Photoshop.

However............Canon DPP does IMO a very favorable job on many files that don't require local adjustments or clone work but I just can't find a way to save the file to the level of sharpness that I can with CS6. Am I missing something? File quality set to 6-8, using either regular sharpness or using USM sharpening when I save the file it loses sharpness when viewed

I work the RAW then 'Convert and Save As' command to save as a jpeg. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.......
Thanks
Karl

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:13 PM
ebiggs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

I have tried DPP a few times and just decided it is much easier to start with and end with CS6.

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:45 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

Karl,

I suspect what is happening is that you are viewing the sharpening in DPP at less than 100% zoom. The sharpening available in DPP is pretty basic and I suspect that the way DPP interpolates for screen viewing is even more crude. In other words, when you are viewing the image within DPP at less than 100% zoom, DPP is giving you an exagerated impression of the sharpening being applied.

If you haven't already, I suggest you compare the pre-convert and post-convert versions making sure you are comparing both at 100%. Viewing sharpening at 100% is usually the best technique anyway, since even in Photoshop the interpolation for screen is not completely perfect.

As I said earlier, I always found the sharpening in DPP to be pretty basic. The original sharpening was essentially USM with a Threshold of around 4 or 5. It would only sharpen fairly contrasty edges and apply no sharpening at all to textures and more subtle edges. It was pretty easy to over-sharpen and not really notice unless you were checking carefully at 100% zoom.

Then they added the complete USM method, which is really the same type of sharpening - just with more control.

If you normally go to CS6 anyway, I would recommend doing your sharpening there.

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:07 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

It used to be - and perhaps still is - that DPP did not filter out the tiny problems in an image such as stuck pixels and so on, whereas Adobe software and others would. This may also carry over to the results of sharpening. Just a hunch.

- Alan

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM
elluDe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

Now that DDP 4.0 is out, I wonder if the sharpening is improved in it. I haven't tried it yet as my older camera isn't compatible.

It's interesting to learn about the sharpening in DDP 3.x though. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the USM sharpening was mainly for finished images (ie, those that are exported for printing without any further adjustments being made in photoshop or whatever), and the original sharpening, with a simple slider, was more for images likely to get further processing. The point being that USM is really only intended for a final sharpen, and that images sharpened this way shouldn't really receive much more in the way of adjustments.

Although I should add that this is an assumption rather than being based on anything I've read about it

Aug 06, 2014 at 03:55 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

Karl Witt wrote:
My workflow is essentially a view and quick edit of RAW in DPP then I will do the complete edit in CS6 Photoshop.

However............Canon DPP does IMO a very favorable job on many files that don't require local adjustments or clone work but I just can't find a way to save the file to the level of sharpness that I can with CS6. Am I missing something? File quality set to 6-8, using either regular sharpness or using USM sharpening when I save the file it loses sharpness when viewed

I work the RAW then 'Convert and Save As' command
...Show more

Perhaps you need to convert to jpeg and then sharpen the jpeg rather than lose the sharpening in the conversion process - especially if you are downsizing too.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:44 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon DPP sharpening results questions

I just use DPP to cull images, adjust white balance if needed and convert the keepers to TIFF. Further adjustments are made in CS6 with sharpening performed last.

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.