New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · FX wide zoom advice?

MitchSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FX wide zoom advice?

I recently purchased a D600. I shoot my own residential real estate listings. I have been using the D7100 with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and am satisfied with it's performance. I would like to get an equivalent focal length for the D600. I am considering the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 as it is 1/3 the cost of the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 and I don't shoot much landscape. I know there is a reason for the cost difference. Has anyone had experience with the Tokina. If it is as good as the 11-16 it would be fine for my use.

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FX wide zoom advice?

The 16-28 is very sharp and has very low distortion, just lacks the knockout punch of color and contrast of the Nikon equivalents. For real estate, it should work great.

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:56 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FX wide zoom advice?

true on tokina 16-28 - very nice lens.

You can also consider:
-Nikon 18-35 AFS ( new version )
-Nikon 16-34 F4 ( a little more money )
-Nikon 17-35 f2.8 ( older but build like a tank - poor corner sharpness performer )

In FX UWA world it is tough going with lens selection. You have limited zoom range zooms, zooms, and primes. Prices are all over the board and since you arent doing much in landscapes I will not venture into exotic zeiss lenses

My suggestion for you is 18-35G

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:04 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FX wide zoom advice?

I've been shooting a Tokina 16-28/2.8 on my D800 and D600 for a few weeks now. It's sharp in the center at 2.8 on both ends. It really needs f5.6 for the corners though, especially at 16mm. Distortion and CA are well controlled (even into the corners). I do occasionally see some odd flare with point light sources.

I compared it to the 16-35/4, 14-24/2.8, and the Zeiss 21/2.8 before I bought it. It's not as good wide open as the 14-24/2.8 or the 21/2.8. But at f4 it's as good or better than the 16-35/4 with less distortion at the wide end and a little less CA in the corners. I have a strong preference for the look of the 21/2.8 over the other lenses I tested, including the 14-24/2.8, so I am in the market for the Zeiss for my landscape needs. But, I picked up the Tokina to complement the Zeiss for outdoor sports. It's no slouch as a landscape lens either, though.

D600, 16-28/2.8 @ f13

Fort Fisher, North Carolina

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:57 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FX wide zoom advice?

you might want an option to use a polarizer for reflections doing real estate work.

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:05 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FX wide zoom advice?

Jason_Brook wrote:
The 16-28 is very sharp and has very low distortion, just lacks the knockout punch of color and contrast of the Nikon equivalents. For real estate, it should work great.

Thanks Jason, That verifies what I was thinking.

euua wrote:
true on tokina 16-28 - very nice lens.
You can also consider:
-Nikon 17-35 f2.8 ( older but build like a tank - poor corner sharpness performer )

Thanks Oleg, I'm going to consider a used 17-35 because sometimes 16mm is a little wide on the crop body for exterior shots and since the shots are resized to 640 x 640 for the MLS, 17mm on FX is probably wide enough for interior. However, $1000 used is still a little pricey.

JoshI wrote:
I've been shooting a Tokina 16-28/2.8 on my D800 and D600 for a few weeks now. It's sharp in the center at 2.8 on both ends. It really needs f5.6 for the corners though, especially at 16mm. Distortion and CA are well controlled (even into the corners). I do occasionally see some odd flare with point light sources.

Thanks Josh for detailed description, Nice photo. Glad to know it will also be a good landscape lens. I'm going to be in Wilmington for a day in a few weeks, I may PM you for some suggestions on Wildlife/BIF photo opts. once I have a chance to do some research.

MikeW wrote:
you might want an option to use a polarizer for reflections doing real estate work.

Thanks Mike, I'll have to look in to that. Normally I can use other methods.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.