Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Lab sharpening;

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lab sharpening;

Here is a thing I am using to see what the A and B channel is doing. While in either A or B, I anchor the center point and click the line half way between middle and corner and drag it around. This shows the most effected color for that leg. There are four such lines in each channel.

If I have already adjusted the end point, dragging the point that lies half way to the center on that particular line segment also shows what additional effect I can get with a more complex curve.

Also by anchoring the center I can move the line more at the top and less at the bottom.

Of course I may not want the line to cross the center if I have a cast, but this technique is mostly to help a memory challenged guy visualize the relationships of each line in each space before proceeding.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lab sharpening;

Ben - when you're starting out with Lab, you should probably, for the sake of simplicity and not getting confused, stick with straight line curves. They are immensely powerful and while you *can* do more with a more complicated curve, it's also all too easy to totally screw your image when you didn't intend that.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lab sharpening;

You could try the different approaches - choose 3 - applied to the same image and print them all on 24x36, then inspect the prints.

What do your eyes tell you?

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lab sharpening;

Peter Figen wrote:
Ben - when you're starting out with Lab, you should probably, for the sake of simplicity and not getting confused, stick with straight line curves. They are immensely powerful and while you *can* do more with a more complicated curve, it's also all too easy to totally screw your image when you didn't intend that.

I am just using this approach to see which color is affected by each of the A and B lines. I know the author and all of you folks can memorize these relationships, but not me. So far all the images I have done use straight lines or at most more adjustment on the top than the bottom or visa versa.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lab sharpening;

Paul Mo wrote:
You could try the different approaches - choose 3 - applied to the same image and print them all on 24x36, then inspect the prints.

What do your eyes tell you?

I processed over a dozen images from a recent trip to Zion, Grand Canyon and Valley of Fire using my standard work flow. I have redone all of them using LAB and in every case with better results.

But I also find that after each chapter, I go back and do it again using new info and mostly get more improvements.

I can't print until the Canson paper I just ordered arrives and 16x24 is my limit.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lab sharpening;

I posted my first Lab processed image here.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1280567/0#12205821

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:02 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lab sharpening;

One thing I think LAB allows you to do pretty well is to accentuate subtle color differences and that image seems to illustrate that.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lab sharpening;

Eyeball wrote:
One thing I think LAB allows you to do pretty well is to accentuate subtle color differences and that image seems to illustrate that.

Yes, it was an easy image to process and looked pretty good with just ACR stuff. The LAB versions are just subtly different at this stage. I expect a more challenging image will offer more advantage for lab.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password