FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Africa

smcdmc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Africa

I know photos from Africa are all about big game and sunsets, but has anybody here gone to Africa and used their macro equipment? I may be going in the next several months and just curious as to what photo opportunities there might be for a macro lens in addition to the usual lenses. Crazy insects, small reptiles, amphibians, flowers, etc. I will be near the Masii Mara in Kenya. This will not be a dedicated photo safari, just don't want to miss an opportunity but also don't want to bring the 180mm if it will be dead weight.

Shane

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM
tfish

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Africa

While I typically focus just on smaller subjects I have used my 180mm macro with a 1.4x teleconverter for some bird shots of close subjects. But with that said it is possible to get good macro photos out of the same lenses used for sunsets and big game. Wide-angle macro shots can be very intriguing and taken with your usual wide-angle lens. You can also use a long lens with a teleconverter and extension tubes to get closer shots of smaller subjects, though this set up is a bit heavier and more cumbersome than the 180 macro. But it might be handy for some snakes you could encounter. And I for one would love to see some of the smaller less photograhed inhabitants of Africa.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Africa

I've done Madagascar, but that's pretty different from continental Africa. Alex Wild has been to a few places in Africa and Piotr Naskrecki is a regular visitor to Mozambique and parts further afield. You can check out their blogs which are very well illustrated.

Paul

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:49 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Africa

smcdmc wrote:
I know photos from Africa are all about big game and sunsets, but has anybody here gone to Africa and used their macro equipment? I may be going in the next several months and just curious

If you use a guide make sure to brief them well in advance, as they will have a default of featuring big game. It is advisable to research websites which cover the smaller fauna.

Harold

Mar 14, 2014 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.