Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Banff in March

gooutside
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff in March

Hello,

Any suggestions for good wildlife areas this time of year in Banff, Alberta? I will be heading there next week.

thanks for any suggestions!

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff in March

I posted 3 good spots last week:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1277925/0

Elk are usually found near or above the wide open area on the drive to Lake Minnewanka in the early morning. Drive immediately north of Banff and it forces you to turn on the road to Johnson Lake and Minnewanka. There is a wide open area about 3-4 km from the turn. In the link above they were between the big wide open area and Johnson Lake turn off.

Big male elk can sometimes be found on the bow valley parkway. Most will have lost their antlers. The drive from Banff to Lake Louise can yield wolf, elk, and an early male grizzly bear checking out the season (the railway accidently spills grain on track and it attracks them. In addition deer die crossing and they eat the unfrozen one).. Grizzly bear are most prevalent between Castle Junction and Lake Louise. Wolves are more likely near the old burn area - their den is in this area. Sometimes there are lynx on this drive nearer Lake Louise. However, your chances are about 20% for something early and then 10% later. The road opens at 8am so shooting Vermillion for sunrise and then driving the road is a good plan. Odds of success are better on weekdays than weekends.

The bighorn sheep, in my post were taken on the road between Canmore and Exshaw. There is a 50% chance you will find them near the big hill just east of Exshaw. Mid day is usually good but late is good too.

The raven is 90% chance near Bow Lake. People (not me) feed them crumbs and as soon as you stop, they will fly to you in a pull out along the lake.

There is a 10% chance of seeing wolves if you drive the highway between Castle Junction and Radium Hot Springs. They have a den near Animal Lick which is about mid way near simpson River. You have a 20% or so chance of seeing moose near animal lick area too. It is likely that you will find bighorn hanging out on the golf course in Radium and up the hill to the Red Streak campground.

There is a good 20% chance of finding moose on the smith doraine highway that conects Canmore and Kananaskis near Burstall Pass parking and beond. 1 hour after sunrise is best or 1 hour leading to sunset.

All my percentages are very rough. All of the linked pictures were taken from 8am to 2PM on the same day. I drove the Minniwanka first, then down Bow Valley Parkway, then to Bow Lake, then back down Bow Valley Parkway to Banff.

If I see any animals I will update this post. PM me with your cell and I will text you as you get closer. CanadaJim (FM member) is a good guy to pm and ask.

Mar 12, 2014 at 05:48 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff in March

Scott your posts always make me want to hop in the car and head north. Maybe I'll do a little roadtripping soon.

Mar 12, 2014 at 07:59 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Banff in March

ScottHM wrote:
Scott your posts always make me want to hop in the car and head north. Maybe I'll do a little roadtripping soon.

Let me know if/when you are coming and maybe we can catch a coffee or pictures together.

Mar 13, 2014 at 07:39 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.