Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

brockwhittaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

For many years I've absolutely loved the photograph "Los Angeles" by Andreas Gursky. Unfortunately, if you google the image, you'll find 0 results that yield a version more than about 800px wide. I decided to take it into my own hands and reshoot the image for myself because I loved the scene so much.

On Saturday friends and I drove out to San Diego for vacation, and on Sunday I went up to Griffith Observatory on the most smog-free day possibly ever in Los Angeles. After the sun went down I got the panorama of shots, and after a bit of time in PS, I replicated the look of my favourite photograph.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3440/13094611364_70cab8c671_h.jpg

So I guess the question is whether it is fair to do. I'm happy that I finally have a version of the photograph that has more than 800x400px, but I feel like it may have been a morally questionable thing to do? I guess it just feels awfully weird, since my photo is literally the only other photo that I've found of LA that is near to Gursky's. The rest either don't encompass the whole city or weren't taken in the dark of night.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

Why feel weird...you liked the shot, wanted one of your own, you made it happen...what's wrong with that...I don't see it as any different than shooting any of the icons in landscape photography...at least you didn't try to steal the original from somewhere...

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

"Morally questionable"? Not a bit of it! Photograph what you want, as long as you don't trespass on private property - or even then, if you're willing to accept the consequences if you're caught.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
brockwhittaker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

Alright, thank you guys! I feel a lot better about it now.

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:06 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

What landscape/cityscape photographer hasn't shot a cookie cutter photo of an iconic place at least once in their life? Nothing wrong to have your own version. It may not satisfied your creative side or challenged or eyes, but if you enjoyed the process and the final outcome who really cares.

In terms of the photo I enjoy the vast negative space. The only thing I would try at least for comparison reasons is straightening the horizon a bit. On the otherhand the curved horizon sort of gives you a larger sense of scale such as earth.

Mar 12, 2014 at 05:36 PM
chronoserge456

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

Beautiful! May I ask what lens you used?

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:37 PM
brockwhittaker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A shot from Griffith Observatory.. and a question.

Thanks! The lens used was the Olympus 28mm f/2.8 on a Canon 6D.

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:40 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.