Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Best way to go about selling an item

ergosyn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to go about selling an item

Any advice on selling an item on here? Is paypal the best way to do payment? Does the payer usually pay first or does the buyer ship the item first? Any tips would be appreciated!

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to go about selling an item

Generally, the buyer pays and then the seller ships. I prefer PayPal, but you're free to use anything. The PayPal transaction is very fast, and so there's virtually no delay in shipping the item to the buyer. The buyer should not use PayPal "gift" (for their own protection), and so the seller will have the fee deducted from the amount they receive (about 3%).

You can save on fees if the buyer pays by personal cheque, but it adds at least a couple of weeks to the transaction processing time, unless you trust the buyer and are prepared to cross-ship (i.e. send the item before the payment arrives or is verified). I've done this on B&S, but only for members that I've "known" for some time. I wouldn't do this for 'expensive' items, because, well just because.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
ergosyn

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to go about selling an item

Thanks for the info. Another question what's a good way fairly value gear the you want to sell on here? I see them selling on ebay with a lot more use. Can I go off that number.
Is it appropriate to just straight up ask on the forums what people think it's worth before I post it?

Again I really appreciate the advice.

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:33 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to go about selling an item

One way to do it is to go to eBay, look up the "completed sales" for an item like yours, tally up the prices for which each of them sold, take the median $ amount and record that. Then come over here to FM, do the same thing. then compare the two median $ amounts, adjust accordingly. I also have found it useful to go to KEH.com and do two things: pretend that I'm going to sell it to them, enter in the appropriate information on the Buy Gear section and there you will get a $ amount KEH will pay you for your gear. then go to their For sale section, look up the same item to see what they are asking for the same item as yours in the same condition. At that point you'll have four $ amounts, one from eBay, one from FM and one from KEH. You can decide which one to use. As jcolwell has correctly noted, when you post a price make sure that it includes shipping, insurance for full value and PP fees if that's how you intend to do the transaction. HTH, tony

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to go about selling an item

You can get used price information for Canon, Fuji X, and Alt lenses in the Lens Price Database,

Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:25 PM
mbrace

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to go about selling an item

New to the site and first time selling camera gear. Thanks for the info guys

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bkool

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to go about selling an item

anthonysemone wrote:
One way to do it is to go to eBay, look up the "completed sales" for an item like yours, tally up the prices for which each of them sold, take the median $ amount and record that. Then come over here to FM, do the same thing. then compare the two median $ amounts, adjust accordingly. I also have found it useful to go to KEH.com and do two things: pretend that I'm going to sell it to them, enter in the appropriate information on the Buy Gear section and there you will get a $ amount KEH will
...Show more

This is a good strategy.

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:09 AM
ergosyn

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to go about selling an item

How much does shutter count effect the price? The 1d mark IV I'm seeing for sale seem to all have around 50,000 actuations. The one I want to sell has a little under 7,000. Does that really change anything? Also does not having the box or manuals effect the price much?

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to go about selling an item

Shutter count usually doesn't mean much, unless it's low or high. Yours is low, which should make it easier to sell the camera, but probably won't affect price very much. Similar for boxes and manuals. If you have them, it'll probably sell faster. If you have low shutter count and no box/manual, it'll probably just about even out, and you'll have no problem selling, if the price is right.

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:47 AM
ergosyn

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best way to go about selling an item

Well I bought it for 3200 to help out a friend who's photography business wasn't doing to well and who thought he could buy it back later. Unfortunately that doesn't look likes it's happening so I'm just hoping not to take an overly hard hit on it.

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:56 AM
yonnliu

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best way to go about selling an item

learned sth. here!

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password