Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

I wanted to get some advice for Crater lake. I waited too long to book our summer holidays this year and am now considering Oregon for our August holidays. How is Crater lake in August? I've seen amazing shots from the winter, but wanted to know if August is a good time to make the trip

If it is, I'd appreciate some advice on other locations in Oregon for kid friendly hikes (ages 4 and 6).

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 07:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Ryan_Dyar

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

I've shot there many times in winter and summer. Although in August you won't have the snow that so many iconic Crater Lake images feature, it is still a beautiful location and MUCH more child-friendly than having to snowshoe/ski miles out to get to the good views.

Here's one of mine from the summer. Hope this helps!

http://i.imgur.com/nTB9lIb.jpg

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

thanks for the reply Ryan and beautiful photo!

Mar 12, 2014 at 07:19 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Oregon is full of wonderful scenic spots; you won't want for hikes. One particularly magical spot is the Metolius River in the Camp Sherman area, up into the mountains from the small town of Sisters, a bit north of Bend.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

I've got a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere on the internet, but can you stay at Crater Lake at night? I know there are places to camp, but since I see night shots w/ stars often, just curious how late you can be there.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Orphoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Consider being up there for the Perseid meteor showers in mid august. It is an amazing vantage point. Wildflowers are blooming along Annie Creek. The not too long trail to Garfield Peak is well worth it for sunrise or sunset (bring a light).

Side1Cincy - There is a lodge at the rim. You can be up there crazy late or amazingly early.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM
RRay

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

awesome mood to this photo

Mar 14, 2014 at 03:17 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

thanks everyone for the information!

If we also wanted to see the Columbia river gorge, would mid-August be a good time? If so, where would be the best place to stay (i.e. should we stay in Portland, or somewhere else)?'

Any other suggestions, if we had a total of 5 or 6 days to in Oregon for Crater lake and 1 or 2 other locations?

Would it be a lot of driving around in too short of a period to get to the coastal region (i.e. Thor's well is on the bucket list)?

I'm also thinking of finally getting out to Palhouse falls on the way back home. Is that a good choice for August What is a good place to stay for sunrise/sunset I'm having trouble of figuring out from web searches. Wala Wala should up, but on map quest, the only town i see close by is Sperry.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for the help!!!

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Raven Falls
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

For tourism, August would be O.K. for the Gorge. For waterfall photography purposes, though, you'd likely have mostly clear and sunny days, with ensuing horrible contrast conditions.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:10 AM
Dave R.
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Other locations that may be of interest are Bandon on the coast and then inland to the Willamette valley for Silver Creek Falls. SCF has plenty of hiking trails and most are fine for youngsters. I took my daughter there when she was 6 and she did fine. I only had to carry her a short distance once she tired. You can Google both and gather more information if you think you may want to visit these two areas.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:51 AM
MTguy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Crater lake, coast, and the Columbia would be a lot for 6 days with kids. IMO you would be better off picking 2 of them. I think the town of Hood River is a cool place to stay on the Columbia. Would put you closer to the falls than Portland would.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:05 AM
Raven Falls
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Dave R. -- By "Silver Creek Falls," do you mean Silver Falls State Park?

Mar 17, 2014 at 06:05 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Raven Falls wrote:
Dave R. -- By "Silver Creek Falls," do you mean Silver Falls State Park?

Yes that is what he meant.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · crater lake & Columbia River Gorge in august?

Silver falls SP is nice !

http://www.fototime.com/DE9788C4B3F749B/orig.jpg;

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.