Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Agreed. I had a friend in university who had to worry about dying if he mistakenly consumed too large a quantity of peanuts from some insufficiently labelled product, and in those days, this was not uncommon.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

I'm an MD and remember having a conversation with some pediatricians about why nut allergies are so much more common today (my son has them and stops breathing if we don't get him to the ER when it happens).

A lot of reasons were tossed around, until one of the older docs said: It's a lethal condition unless the sufferer is educated and prepared. 30 years ago no one knew about nut allergies so no one was educated or prepared. The logical conclusion as to why you didn't see a lot of teenage nut allergy sufferers 30 years ago is pretty obvious.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

People were less nutty?

I'll be here all week folks.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.2 #4 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

RCicala wrote:
I guess this means you guys don't think I'm going to make a fortune selling my patented self-adhesive lens-release button light seals?? Come on, only $19.95

Have you considered selling the license to Sony? Then you would get the money without having to worry about distribution and customer support

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

It seems you really can get any thing you want at Alice's Restaurant.
I just wonder if Barney Fife was using an A7r while taking photos of that infamous trash dumping escapade if they would have turned out well enough to obtain a conviction and allow our friend Arlo to avoid the draft or if the whole soiree would have ended with Arlo setting in a wet hole in SE Asia, eating Peanuts.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Delatant
• •
p.2 #6 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Well, that was good DLP!!!

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:05 PM
JCDoss
• • •
p.2 #7 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

If it lets light leak, it probably lets water leak. That's a bigger issue in my mind, since this was marketed as a weatherproof camera.

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Giving credit for confirming this stated issue. I don't see it as a big deal - I always carry a bigger microfiber cloth with me anyways, so just wrapping it around the lens or adapter connection a few times should resolve the issue, too.

Out of curiousity: does the light leak issue remain in case the Metabones III adapter is attached to the A7(R) body, too? I didn't test this yet myself.

I wonder if Sony might do an expensive recall to fix this.....

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

JCDoss wrote:
If it lets light leak, it probably lets water leak. That's a bigger issue in my mind, since this was marketed as a weatherproof camera.

Someone else mentioned this in another thread a while back. It's also curious that, at least in the U.S., all mention about the weather resistance of the Sony A7/A7r is gone in item descriptions at major retailers and on the Sony website. When the cameras were released, this was touted as a feature. hmm.

To be fair, I don't think even upon release these cameras were claimed to be "weather proof" (at least by Sony), which is a higher bar than just claiming weather resistance...but, do we really know what any of these terms mean? I think Roger has some insight about that.

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:20 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.2 #10 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Someone else mentioned this in another thread a while back. It's also curious that, at least in the U.S., all mention about the weather resistance of the Sony A7/A7r is gone in item descriptions at major retailers and on the Sony website. When the cameras were released, this was touted as a feature. hmm.

There is still a "resistance" claim at the end of this page:
http://store.sony.com/a7-full-frame-mirrorless-dslr-camera-zid27-ILCE7/B/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-Cameras?_t=pfm%3Drecently_viewed

"Carefree shooting in tough environments is yours thanks to comprehensive dust and moisture resistance measures that enhance reliability by helping to prevent water and dust from entering the body. These measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components."

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JCDoss
• • •
p.2 #11 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Tariq Gibran wrote:
To be fair, I don't think even upon release these cameras were claimed to be "weather proof" (at least by Sony), which is a higher bar than just claiming weather resistance...but, do we really know what any of these terms mean? I think Roger has some insight about that.

Indeed, I overstated the claim. My mistake... I should have said "weather resistant."

Mar 12, 2014 at 03:43 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d800+light+leak

Hmm . . . seems the first couple of hits on this are due to people not using the eyepiece shutter.
I've done very long exposures with my D800 and noticed no problems at all. Sometimes the lens can have a light leak.

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:47 PM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #13 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

johnvanr wrote:
Wrong analogy. My kids have nut allergies. I've seen them choke up, I've taken them to the ER. I've seen the full ER staff scrambling around my daughter to get her right. Nut allergies have nothing to do with hyper-obsessivity or any imagined behavior. It's very real and extremely scary.

Sorry, wasn't saying it's not a real issue. Just the prevalence of reporting seems to have increased.

My sense about it is very similar to what Roger posted above about the allergies. I'm guessing light leaks have been an issue for years, but until people became educated about them and the internet echo chamber took over, they were simply not talked about as much.

Edited on Mar 12, 2014 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:51 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

One thing I do know is a while back when the Phoblographer wanted to put his loaner Pentax under running water, they said fine. I know one reviewer who asked to do the same thing with an A7 loaner and the response was buy one if you want to do that. Probably just corporate policy, Nikon or Canon won't let you either. Or maybe not.

Anyway, the more I take apart cameras and lenses, the more I put baggies over every bit of my gear if the humidity is over 80% Even the ones that are robustly weather sealed with gaskets everywhere - well, you should see what button gaskets look like after a few months of rental use.

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:54 PM
azenis
• •
p.2 #15 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Thanks for the test..

However, my first impression of reading the article was... long shutter and high iso simultaneously doesn't make sense... you either do one or the other. I can't think of any sort of photography would involve such setting.

I am not saying it's not a design flaw, but in order to replicate such problem, one actually has to push the camera to a limit that one never uses. So much so that I think it's silly to even bring it up.

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

azenis wrote:
Thanks for the test..

However, my first impression of reading the article was... long shutter and high iso simultaneously doesn't make sense... you either do one or the other. I can't think of any sort of photography would involve such setting.

I am not saying it's not a design flaw, but in order to replicate such problem, one actually has to push the camera to a limit that one never uses. So much so that I think it's silly to even bring it up.

I think Roger was satirical about having to point a light source so close to the mount during high ISO and long exposures. This is something photographers wouldn't usually do in real world situations. It could happen when shooting in studio with strobes but then the exposure and ISO would be much smaller.

With the A7R, I can shoot at ISO 25000 and 30 seconds (or higher) with the cap or FE 35mm f/2.8 lens without getting a single light streak. However, pointing a flash light towards the mount brings the issue.

Something else I noticed:
If I press the A7R mount (Without a lens) on the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions, I get a slight movement up/down from it. This could be another source of the light leak issue.

Any A7/A7R users noticed that well?
Fred

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:08 PM
RonR2
• •
p.2 #17 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

A tube of RTV will solve the light leak problem, may cause other problems.

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:43 PM
chrisgibbs

p.2 #18 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think Roger was satirical about having to point a light source so close to the mount during high ISO and long exposures. This is something photographers wouldn't usually do in real world situations. It could happen when shooting in studio with strobes but then the exposure and ISO would be much smaller.

With the A7R, I can shoot at ISO 25000 and 30 seconds (or higher) with the cap or FE 35mm f/2.8 lens without getting a single light streak. However, pointing a flash light towards the mount brings the issue.

Something else I noticed:
If I press the A7R mount
...Show more

I noticed my A7R's mount will flex left & right but not up & down with a mounted lens.

Mar 12, 2014 at 08:47 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

Fred Miranda wrote:

Fred

i imagine it might show up using a strong ND filter and long exposure in direct sunlight too.

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Roger at Lensrentals tested Sony A7R Light Leak

sebboh wrote:
i imagine it might show up using a strong ND filter and long exposure in direct sunlight too.

Scroll halfway down this page and you can see an example of how it indeed does - but it's a pretty extreme use of ND filters. It is notable though that this example is from how this person normally shoots so, in his case, its a big deal.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/10/sony-a7-light-leak-round-II-of-III

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:30 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password