Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

ergosyn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

This is probably a dumb question but what are the 3 flange things on the end of the barrel of my 2 kit lenses (13-55 & 55-250). My 50mm doesn't have them so I was just curious?

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

Those would be lens hood flanges.

By 50 mm, do you mean f/2.5 compact macro, f/1.8, f/1.4, f1.2, or f/1.0? I suspect you mean f/1.8.

There is no 13-55 mm lens (photography is a detail-oriented technical art).

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:42 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

I'd hazard a guess that those 'flange thingys' help secure a lens hood, most lenses have these, most hoods have the same kind of tab/flange arrangement, you simply match things up and twist on the hood...

Hope this helps
Jerry

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:47 PM
ergosyn

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

Thanks. Yeah I meant 18-55. And yes 50mm f1.8. You really know your camera stuff!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM
ergosyn

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

The two cheapy hoods I have both thread on.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

A hood that bayonets on is much faster and easier to attach than a screw on hood, and that is standard way that Canon provides for attaching most hoods on their lenses. Bayonet hoods also can usually be attached backwards for storage of the lens and hood together. And a bayonet hood still allows for the use the lens cap while the hood is reversed, or even with the hood forward in many cases. You can also put a filter on or off of the lens without extra issues of removing a screw on hood. The Canon hoods also are custom sized for the lens, so they give maximum protection from flare for a full frame camera.

For Canon's higher end lenses, they provide a hood with the purchase of the lens, but for the mid and lower end lenses, they do not. If you don't have a hood, you can order the Canon hood from a dealer, but they at times seem expensive. An alternative is to get a non Canon hood from a dealer or off of eBay at a lower price, but their fit and function is not always perfect.

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:35 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

Roland W wrote:
For Canon's higher end lenses, they provide a hood with the purchase of the lens, but for the mid and lower end lenses, they do not. If you don't have a hood, you can order the Canon hood from a dealer, but they at times seem expensive. An alternative is to get a non Canon hood from a dealer or off of eBay at a lower price, but their fit and function is not always perfect.

I got a Marumi hood for my Canon 100 mm macro and it is very good. I have lens hoods on all my lenses except the 40 mm (well, I have a rubber lens hood for that one but I don't use it).

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

I got a Vello hood from B&H with my EF 85/1.8 and a JJC hood from eBay for my EF 24/2.8 IS. They both work about as well as the Canon hoods I have on my L lenses.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question: What are the 3 flange things on the front of my 18-55 and 55-250

Ebay hoods are cheaper / not as strong and most of the time don't fit as well .
Most Canon hoods have a felt like stuff inside - cheaper hoods don't .
The felt can hold water / pollen / dust and be hard to clean . Cheapee ones , just a quick wipe-
but can cause flare [ shinny inside of hood after wiping ]
A reversed Canon hood can support camera and lens if set on table - an ebay one might pop off .
At a party , wedding event - canon hoods [ and lens caps ] - sight seeing , hiking - cheap ones - all hoods [ and lens caps ] like to roll down hills / slopes and hide .
I like plastic petal and rubber screw on hoods . I don't like metal screw on hoods or lens caps [ screw on or metal ]

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.