New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Since this seems to be Fuji month on the Alt forum, I'm curious about the inconsistent feel/ action with Fuji aperture rings on their various lenses. I recently bought the 23/1.4 and, to me, that ring feels really nice and silky in it's action. Not tight, not overly loose but about perfect.

The 60 Macro I bought is alright in this respect but not nearly as nice feeling as the 23. Then there is the 14mm lens, which I keep reading has a loose/ wobbly aperture ring. I read somewhere that perhaps it was made a little too big. So, what's up with this inconsistency and, does anyone own a Fuji 14 that is not loose and wobbly? I'm just curious if it's an early production issue or just a poorly designed ring overall with regard to that lens.

I know to some this might seem a silly question but, for me, the tactile feel of moving the aperture ring plays a role in my enjoyment of shooting.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:21 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji Aperture Rings

I find the 14 and 23mm aperture rings equally loose. Maybe the 23mm is a bit tighter, but still too loose. 56mm is a little better, but also still too loose. It's ridiculously easy for me to bump them accidentally and change aperture.

My favorites for Fuji lenses are the rings on the 18-55 and 55-200, which are less loose but unmarked.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji Aperture Rings

My bugbear is that I can't figure out how to change aperture rotation 'direction' (i.e. big to small CW or CCW)...

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji Aperture Rings

itai195 wrote:
I find the 14 and 23mm aperture rings equally loose. Maybe the 23mm is a bit tighter, but still too loose. 56mm is a little better, but also still too loose. It's ridiculously easy for me to bump them accidentally and change aperture.

My favorites for Fuji lenses are the rings on the 18-55 and 55-200, which are less loose but unmarked.

Interesting. Now I'm wondering if there is sample variation at work or if it's just a purely subjective thing. The 23 ring on my copy is looser than say the RX1 aperture ring but I have not moved it accidentally yet. Some of the older, Minolta MF lenses I have feel similar for instance, in ease of movement from one click to the next as the Fuji 23. It's certainly on the lighter side though.

Edited on Mar 11, 2014 at 03:30 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:27 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji Aperture Rings

jcolwell wrote:
My bugbear is that I can't figure out how to change aperture rotation 'direction' (i.e. big to small CW or CCW)...

Why would you want to do that? They already rotate in the only possible correct direction

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:28 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Interesting. Now I'm wondering if there is sample variation at work or if it's just a purely subjective thing. The 23 ring on my copy is looser than say the RX1 aperture ring but I have not moved it accidentally yet. Some of the older, Minolta MF lenses I have feel similar for instance.

It was the same at least on the two 23mm lenses that I've tried. But there certainly may be sample variation. It's not an aperture ring, but I've had my hands on two X-T1 bodies and some of the dials are noticeably looser on one of them.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji Aperture Rings

itai195 wrote:
Why would you want to do that? They already rotate in the only possible correct direction

Tell that to Mamiya.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji Aperture Rings

itai195 wrote:
It was the same at least on the two 23mm lenses that I've tried. But there certainly may be sample variation. It's not an aperture ring, but I've had my hands on two X-T1 bodies and some of the dials are noticeably looser on one of them.

I have mentioned it before but on the multiple X100's I have owned, the feel of the dials has varied. In fact, the first one I owned (not an early sample) had a decently firm exp. comp dial and I had no idea what everyone was going on about with regard to accidentally moving it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Check this out. This guy was determined to "fix" the looseness of his Fuji 14 ring that he partially disassembled it to add some friction.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:38 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji Aperture Rings

I think the feel is about just right on them, not as solid as a nice M mount lens, but nice to be able to quickly change it with just the touch of a finger while shooting.

Not in a location where I really have to worry about accidentally bumping it so the feel feels fine lol

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji Aperture Rings

millsart wrote:
I think the feel is about just right on them,

You don't notice a difference in the action/ feel between the various Fuji lenses you have used?

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Check this out. This guy was determined to "fix" the looseness of his Fuji 14 ring that he partially disassembled it to add some friction.

Judging by the knuckles on his right hand, he's lost the battle against some big glass.

The aperture ring on my 14/2.8 is a bit "light", but I've never had problems with it.

OTOH, I've done similar things (and much worse) in the past to old-school manual focus lenses - where did that f*%!&$g ball bearing go

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:49 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji Aperture Rings

The 23mm is definitely the loosest out of the 3 lenses I own (18, 23, 35). I prefer a little more resistance. I think the 23mm was just designed that way. Fortunately for some, unfortunately for me.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:51 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji Aperture Rings

I think I am holding my camera wrong again, because I seem to bump mine constantly. Not usually huge changes, but I frequently will find my 14 or 23mm aperture set about one or two thirds of a stop from where I had last set it without having intentionally moved it.

I much prefer the feel of a nice M or ZF lens, but I know that's probably asking for a lot here. That said, IMO the aperture rings are much bigger usability issue than the 'loose' EC dials, which I never had an issue with.

Edited on Mar 11, 2014 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:53 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Tariq Gibran wrote:
You don't notice a difference in the action/ feel between the various Fuji lenses you have used?

Mine feel pretty similar, at least the 14 and 23 feel about identical. One lens having a larger diameter than another may account for some differences in feel. I do recall the 18 and 35 feeling a little less precise, but didn't feel like something was broken etc.

Its an electronic connection so I guess it doesn't/won't have too much of a physical aperture feel.

Really nothing I've though about too much though, its just like different lens weight different amounts, is what it is, and if the aperture ring on a 2 year old model feels slightly different than a brand new lens, not really sure what I could do to change it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji Aperture Rings

The aperture dial on the 3 X100 and 1 X100s cameras that I've owned is relatively stiff. For whatever reason, the exp. comp. dial on my first X100 was pretty loose, but my X100 LEs and X100s had stiffer exp. comp. dials. I think Fuji may have improved the exp. comp. dial sometime during the X100's life cycle.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji Aperture Rings

millsart wrote:
Its an electronic connection so I guess it doesn't/won't have too much of a physical aperture feel.

Fuji actually uses a ball bearing just like the older MF lenses, which is what gives the ring it's feel. In the end, it is an electronic connection but it's this mechanical aspect (the ball bearing) that gives it it's feel.

I did notice in that take apart YouTube video of the 14 that the ball bearing looked really small in diameter. The ball bearings from the classic, older lenses I have taken apart were definitely larger.

It's nice to hear that the 14 has a similar feel to the 23. I got the idea from reading around that the ring on the 14 was wobbly and looser. I can see how even the looseness of the 23 might be an issue for some. I like the feel myself as I can move it easily with one finger when holding the camera from underneath.

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Tariq Gibran wrote:

I know to some this might seem a silly question but, for me, the tactile feel of moving the aperture ring plays a role in my enjoyment of shooting.

I know how you feel. I was an original user of the X100 and was very used to (and happy with) the feel of the aperture ring on that camera. When I got the chance to try the X Pro 1 and the 3 launch lenses, the aperture rings on those felt just awful in comparison. Loose, flimsy, a totally different experience. I was not impressed with the build quality of those lenses! The 14mm lens ring is particularly loose!

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:23 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji Aperture Rings

I think it all wears off, no matter how good it feels

I mean on the RX1 for example that highly machined precession with which you could twist the lens into its macro setting sure felt great, but after a few hundred times sitting there playing with it was it as fun ?

Dont want to go blind....

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:43 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji Aperture Rings

Two 14/2.8 - both too loose (I can actually "rock" the ring). Spins if I look at it wrong. By far the worst.
Two 23/1.4. Both very good. Tight. Well damped.
18/2 and 35/1.4. OK. Tight. But a bit "dry" feeling.
Two 60/2.4 - first was perfect. Very well damped. Nice resistance. Second one is a bit "mushier."

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.