Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite

HDR

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:16 AM
matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite

Sorry buddy but this is a bit overboard for me.. I don't think automated HDR gives good results, but if you are going to use it try and keep yourself from overdoing it or things become completely unrealistic.

Sorry I hope I don't sound mean but just giving my personal opinion and advice.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite

thank you Matthewh, by now that all I can do, don't know much about PS.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM
briangg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite

Ton,

Your image has a lot of potential. Your composition is really good.

Basic PS is really easy, and just a little can go a long way. Photoshop Elements has a guided section on the right side of the edit screen. Step by step on basic editing, color and lighting. You are fully in control with each step. It's a lot of fun

Brian

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:23 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite

I agree with Brian. Ton, you image does have potential and if you shot in RAW, with a few hours on youtube you can get better and more realistic results. It's really worth the effort to learn PS and you don't even have to go too advance. There are many folks on here who have tutorials on their website or even for sale. Check our Mark Metternich's video tutorials on his blend-if technique here or just search for "layer mask blending".

The image is just too HDR for my tastes but if it floats your boat that's cool.

Jason

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:31 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite

Hey Ton,

I agree with the rest, the HDR is overly done. Brians suggestion of getting Photoshop Elements is a great one. You can buy it for about $80 at Costco or Sam's Club. It's pretty easy to use. And if you really don't know how to do post processing, I would say that since you have these images from Yosemite, that should be a great motivation for your to start learning.

Start again with this, take just one shot, and process it. If you need help, we can help, but if you really have no idea on where to start, go pick up a help book on Photoshop Elements and follow it's directions. Very easy.

Jim

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:33 AM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite

thank you all, I will try.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:34 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite

Actually, I like the scene rendered here in HDR very much - because I know it is HDR.

I am thinking of your interpretation as I would think of looking at two paintings in a museum of the same scene from two different artists - one painting in the "expressionist" style (your HDR) and one painting from the school of "realism" or the "Hudson River" school for example.

Both can be pleasing, evocative and interesting in different ways and for different reasons.

So, as you undertake to master the techniques of Photoshop, don't discard your use of HDR entirely as you present your artistic interpretation of a scene. There is room for both visions.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite

Ton, it is a fantastic shots in so many ways, and you may even get a very good response from the general public. HDR is a matter of taste for many. I love your shot. I dont like the HDR treatment. I think with respect to composition, and the general condition, you really nailed it. the scene is overcast, so I doubt HDR is even necessary. would be very interested to see your middle exposure posted.
Now as to why there are issues with HDR, and as HDR goes, this is actually not too bad,
1. there is a shift in colors. the strong warm yellows of foreground, dont work with the very cool of the sky, and greens are somewhere in between.
2. You ended with a foreground which is brighter than the sky.
3. You have a halo following the line of mountains.
4. You also have a pronounced dust spot on the top left, just above the mountain.

What I really like about your HDR treatment.
1. You have maintained very good contrast. the image does not look washed out the ways many of these do.
2. Detail is fantastic.

I think you have a potential wall hanger here with proper treatment.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:12 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite

great composition, not a fan of any hdr shots but this one to over the top, easy for me to say as I could never get a shot similar to this one, I think you kidd when you say you do not PS

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite

Patsy, I don't Know PS, this picture I did with Photomatix free download from the web, how are you doing Pasty? Thank you for all your comments, I will learn a lot from this one

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM
free92

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yosemite

Beautiful pic. :-)

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM
RRay

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yosemite

looks like a painting

Mar 14, 2014 at 03:21 PM
jkjod
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yosemite

i agree very painterly, beautiful!

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.