Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

I just got my Markins L-bracket. I'm a fan of the 2-piece designs, properly constructed. I use the plate as an attachment for anchors for my shoulder strap, and this has a low profile loop to attach one to. At this point quality is on par with RRS products I've used in the past, though the RRS products are finished with a little more rounding of edges. The bracket is lightweight and doesn't significantly impede movement of the LCD. For my needs, I'm never using a cabled shutter release, I just use the IR remote or timer.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Anyone have good luck with camera L plate *plus* hejnar L plate on the metabones?

With my Acratech clamps at least, RRS L + Hejnar L is a non-starter for clamping the camera on anything on the bottom edge. I got the RRS one because it could adjust outward on the vertical side, but the horizontal side is just too close to the Hejnar on the metabones to allow me to attach either.

What do people have that works? I will eventually have the remote cable release, which it seemed RRS was the only option? I'm really confused now and probably going to have to send the RRS one back. Sigh.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

As the maker of the PalmGrip for the NEX cameras, I would like to chime in on this subject.

I just recently sold out of the grips for the NEX6 and NEX7 cameras and because of difficulties with production and other projects taking my time, I had decided to cease production. This also included plans for a new version for the a7R cameras. I figured I had a good run with the grips and should just move on.

Well, I bought the RRS grip for my a7R and after a recent day long event, I woke up the next morning with a blister on my hand from use.

I have not seen any grip for the a7 cameras that appear to solve the usability function of the grip that I was producing. They all got it wrong as far as comfort and secure grip is concerned. So, I am going ahead with my plans to produce a new grip for the a7 cameras. Even with 3 or 4 grip options out there, the need for a best solution has not been met, in my opinion.

As far as Arca Swiss compatibility is concerned, there is variability in the size of the dovetail. For example, the RRS quick clamp will cause slippage with a undersized dovetail.

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:23 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

pixelreaper wrote:
Also I don't usually have any cables coming out the side of the camera, so the extension of the L-plate on the RRS is not entirely critical and I can imagine it adds more weight also.

You may not use HDMI cables for monitors or anything like that, but due to Sony's cheapness you do have to open one of those side doors to charge the camera and it's almost impossible without that extension. It's well designed; it's not any heavier than a single-piece design would be.

pixelreaper wrote:
I would love feed back for anyone who has used the RRS regarding if it made the camera grip more comfortable by extending it and anyone who has used both and may have insight on the weight differences

Absolutely. The grip is too small for my hands without it. This L-plate saved me having to buy the Sony Vertical Grip.

robsonj wrote:
I ordered the ebay version also, again as others, all of my stuff is RRS, but to be frank I think their pricing is verging on extortion, hence looking else where.

I'm starting a business making plates and grips and accessories along the lines of Really Right Stuff, Zacuto, etc and I can assure you the pricing is fair.

Yeah, a production run of 500 of those A7/r plates might be $18 per plate.But the individual prototypes that have to be made when you're actually designing such a plate can be literally 30-50 times that. Not to mention tons of man-hours designing and FEA analyzing (computerized stress analysis) and fit testing.

The eBay guys who just copy Markins/RRS/etc designs get to skip those steps; the only overhead they have is the $18/plate. So in fact, they're charging way higher profit margins than RRS! Way more!!

Also, keep in mind that these things sell in the hundreds or even dozens. They're not iPhones. Making a lot of money per plate is the only way to stay in business. Last month I bought a RRS Mamiya 645 plate which I could tell was made last decade because it had their phone number engraved on it (which they haven't done for years). I bet they've only ever ordered one batch of those, for all the hours of work it took to design it.

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:40 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Jim,

I love your NEX-6 L-bracket design. The added height of the base required for total clearance of the LCD for full downward tilt is fantastic, and you used this to enhance the handling of the grip with room for an extra finger, exactly where one naturally wants it to rest. I only have two tiny complaints. First, the anodization shows wear more than other manufacturers, and it has a very fine texture rather than the smooth finish that others offer. Second, the size of the small screws that hold the vertical component in place is unusual, and the screws themselves are tiny, so in the end I never took it off for fear of losing small and difficult to replace items, or because I misplaced the unique sized allen wrench. I look forward to your design for the A7.

Lee, you're right about the side door access. It's pretty much impossible to open either door with the vertical piece of the Markins bracket in place with just a fingernail. Fortunately you can get a charger and spare batteries, but this doesn't make life any easier for those using wired remotes. I look forward to your design as well!

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:05 AM
kroyston
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

I personally like thw grip extension on the RRS bracket. It adds lust enough extension that using heavier lenses feels more balanced. I don't use the downward tilt often so this is not much of an issue for me. Too bad I didn't have a chance to evaluate a palm grip.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Jim, if you make a non L plate that gives me downwards tilt and fits the old RRS lever release, I'm in.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:02 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

carstenw wrote:
I haven't used the RRS plate, so please ignore this post.

I am normally a huge RRS fan, but their A7/A7r plate seems to be really half-baked, to be generous, and so for the first time ever I have bought another brand of L-plate. The generic RRS plate works, but isn't ideal, and does block downward tilting of the screen slightly, so I went for the generic one offered here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Holder-Bracket-Grip-for-Tripod-Ball-Head-Sony-a7-a7R-/161199995241

I do believe that Fred has the Markins plate, and is happy with it. If you want to wait and hear how the eBay cheap plate is, then wait 5-7 days and
...Show more

The plate has arrived. It is an iShoot piece, sold by photoloving.com on eBay.

It came in a plastic bag, in a black flocked bag (the flocking comes off and left residue on my desk; I won't be using it), in an iShoot box, in a compact shipping box. The shipping box was very dented, the iShoot box slightly dented, but everything inside was perfect. I opted for the GLS shipping, which added 50% to the price, but otherwise it may have arrived as late as April. It is still much cheaper than the competition. Note that no hex-key is included.

The general machining and fit of the piece itself is very nice. The surface is matte and feels good, although whether or not it can stand up to rough use is to be seen. The mechanical design is very good. The vertical riser has a cutout, which allows me to open the doors easily. The battery and SD card doors open easily, and without interference. The connection between the two parts is solid. The screw on the bottom is hex-key based, but can also be turned with a penny, which is handy. The screen is a little tricky to grab, but then pivots the full 90 degrees up, and maybe 35-40 degrees down. I think the beveling in the bottom right corner stops it from being perfect, so maybe a little work there would get the full 45 degrees, but for my purposes, this is close enough. The grip extension gives me a place to put my pinky, and I suspect I will leave the plate on always.

Note that I cannot test it for fit with the older RRS lever clamps. I sold the only one I had, once I realised that RRS were making their brackets and clamps the wrong size to be perfectly compatible with real Arca Swiss components, and all my clamps are now screw-type.

Overall, I am very pleased. There are only a couple of very tiny niggles, apart from the slightly encumbered LCD swing: the fit near the front grip is very slightly too large, there is a needless cutout below the SD card door, and the clamp slot on the rear is much longer than at the front, which is completely useless. Perhaps it is just easier to machine that way. The only possible issue would be the longevity of the finish, I would think.

For the price, I can heartily recommend it. I am not normally a fan of supporting Chinese products (politics, freedom, industrial espionage, cracking, Tibet, yadda-yadda), but given how the usual suspects appear to have messed up in various ways, I have made an exception this time.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Very TIC - I also received my iSHoot L-bracket a few days ago, so my comment: "what Carsten said"

Carsten's is a very comprehensive account.

The main benefit for me is simply that the A7R becomes a nicer camera to hold
Of course I'm intending to make use of the dovetails for landscape and pano photography - fit of plate in Arca-Swiss style ball-head (and RRS pano slide) not yet checked.

Mar 26, 2014 at 03:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Here are some photos:

Mar 26, 2014 at 08:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

I see what you mean about the finish at the bottom of the grip. Is it uncomfortable?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

No, it is great, there is just a small gap, that is all. I leave mine on all the time now. I like the size better with it.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Thanks for the images. I just ordered one, mainly for the extra grip.
My Markins is great but my Canon lenses are heavy and I need the extra support.
Fred

carstenw wrote:
Here are some photos:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2661.jpg

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2662.jpg

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2663.jpg

Mar 26, 2014 at 04:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

By the way, it turns out I did have an RRS quick-release lever, on my tripod head! I tried it, and it is tight, quite tight, but it does fit.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:17 PM
davidbogdan
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

carstenw wrote:
By the way, it turns out I did have an RRS quick-release lever, on my tripod head! I tried it, and it is tight, quite tight, but it does fit.

Bingo!!

db

Mar 27, 2014 at 02:17 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

Double bingo. Just to check, is this the old version of the lever release? I've got two of them.

Apr 01, 2014 at 01:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

The new one is adjustable, right? This one isn't.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:24 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

I prefer (and own) the RRS, but if I am not going to be tripod shooting I always take it off to save weight.

Apr 01, 2014 at 02:44 PM
neildradford

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

carstenw wrote:
Here are some photos:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2661.jpg

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2662.jpg

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/IMG_2663.jpg

Hi Carsten, I'm trying to decide which L-Bracket to get and I'm almost sure it's the one you bought above. One thing I'm not certain of for all the brackets mentioned here, is it possible to attach a sling style strap to the underside of these? I use the Sun Sniper Steel which uses the standard tripod hole for attachment, any idea? I'd like to leave the bracket on if I can, not having to remove it when carrying around on my sling.

Many thanks,

Neil.

Apr 06, 2014 at 05:50 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r

The sling style straps usually have a screw and this bracket has a hole, so I guess yes.

Apr 06, 2014 at 07:13 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password