Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r
  
 
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Hi everyone,

Sorry if I missed an earlier post on this.

I have been going back and forth between the RRS and Markins L-plate for the A7r.

I usually prefer to leave my L-plate on my camera, only removing it when I really need to travel light. I am sure they are both very well made, but there is a major design difference with the RRS, as it extends the grip (at the cost of more weight?) vs the Marking which does not extend under the battery door. Also I don't usually have any cables coming out the side of the camera, so the extension of the L-plate on the RRS is not entirely critical and I can imagine it adds more weight also.

I would love feed back for anyone who has used the RRS regarding if it made the camera grip more comfortable by extending it and anyone who has used both and may have insight on the weight differences.

Also it is worth mentioning that I have a newer (1yr old) RRS lever release on my ballhead. From what I understand the the newer lever clamps seem to work with Markins plates but I have never tried a markins plate.

Thanks!

Dimitri



Edited on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions



Mar 10, 2014 at 09:45 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I tried both and prefer the Markins, but I didn't take grip or weight into account. Personally, I just liked the design better. It blocks articulation of the LCD much less than the RRS, it costs less, and (this might not be relevant to you) I didn't want to deal with the two-piece design of the RRS when not on the camera.


Mar 10, 2014 at 09:56 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I haven't used the RRS plate, so please ignore this post.

I am normally a huge RRS fan, but their A7/A7r plate seems to be really half-baked, to be generous, and so for the first time ever I have bought another brand of L-plate. The generic RRS plate works, but isn't ideal, and does block downward tilting of the screen slightly, so I went for the generic one offered here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Holder-Bracket-Grip-for-Tripod-Ball-Head-Sony-a7-a7R-/161199995241

I do believe that Fred has the Markins plate, and is happy with it. If you want to wait and hear how the eBay cheap plate is, then wait 5-7 days and I should have it.



Mar 10, 2014 at 09:57 PM
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on what you mean by - 'I didn't want to deal with the two-piece design of the RRS when not on the camera' ?

Also I am curious to understand how the screen is blocked. i.e when trying to pull it out, facing down or facing up?

itai195 wrote:
I tried both and prefer the Markins, but I didn't take grip or weight into account. Personally, I just liked the design better. It blocks articulation of the LCD much less than the RRS, it costs less, and (this might not be relevant to you) I didn't want to deal with the two-piece design of the RRS when not on the camera.




Mar 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Thanks Carsten! I would be very interested to see how the generic works out.

carstenw wrote:
I haven't used the RRS plate, so please ignore this post.

I am normally a huge RRS fan, but their A7/A7r plate seems to be really half-baked, to be generous, and so for the first time ever I have bought another brand of L-plate. The generic RRS plate works, but isn't ideal, and does block downward tilting of the screen slightly, so I went for the generic one offered here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Holder-Bracket-Grip-for-Tripod-Ball-Head-Sony-a7-a7R-/161199995241

I do believe that Fred has the Markins plate, and is happy with it. If you want to wait and hear how the eBay cheap plate is, then wait 5-7 days and
...Show more



Mar 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I have the RRS plate (as do I for my 5D, 5D II, DP1 Merrill, and did for DP2 Merrill). I like the cap on the end of the grip. Just gives a little more to work with in terms of my hand fitting properly on the grip.

Honestly, the a7R is the first camera I've had with an articulating screen. So I haven't really noticed the limitation yet. I do consider it an obvious negative though...and at some point it may actually bother me.

-Tim

Edited on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM · View previous versions



Mar 10, 2014 at 10:10 PM
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Thanks Tim. How does it obstruct the LCD? I do find myself using the flip out function for hip / ground level shooting. My guess is it does not impact this but more when the camera is above you and the screen is tilted down?

tsdevine wrote:
I have the RRS plate (as do I for my 5D, 5D II, DP1 Merrill, and did for DP2 Merrill). I like the cap on the end of the grip. Just gives a little more to work with in terms of my hand fitting properly on the grip.

Honestly, the a7R is the first camera I've had with an articulating screen. So I haven't really noticed the limitation yet. I do consider it an obvious negative though...and it some point it may actually bother me.

-Tim




Mar 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM
tsdevine
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r



It makes it a little hard to flip out..and restricts it somewhat from tilting down like you describe. It doesn't get in the way when you have the camera below you and want to tilt it up.

-Tim



Mar 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


pixelreaper wrote:
Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on what you mean by - 'I didn't want to deal with the two-piece design of the RRS when not on the camera' ?

Also I am curious to understand how the screen is blocked. i.e when trying to pull it out, facing down or facing up?


The two pieces are not really attached to either other, there's a bolt that you screw through both and into the camera. When not attached to the camera, the bolt will hold the two pieces together, but they move around and thus can jiggle and make noise in a bag, scratch each other, etc.

The RRS plate has anti-twist flanges on both sides, whereas the Markins only has it on the front. As a result, the RRS plate almost completely blocks the screen from articulating downward whereas the Markins only partially blocks it. It's a notable difference.

I'm with carsten by the way, this is the first time I've gone with a non-RRS plate. I communicated my disappointment to them via e-mail and they were gracious about it.



Mar 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM
robsonj
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I ordered the ebay version also, again as others, all of my stuff is RRS, but to be frank I think their pricing is verging on extortion, hence looking else where.


Mar 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



cocosphere
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I bought the Markins L plate for my A7 after reading about it from one of Fred's posts and it works great for what I wanted. Almost all my plates have been RRS except the 5d3 (Kirk) and this one. The Markins doesn't interfere with the LCD screen as others have said, doesn't add much weight or bulk to the camera, and still allows the A7 to sit flat on a surface even though it isn't a full plate on the bottom.


Mar 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM
anthonylars
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I tried both plates and I very much preferred the RRS. It does make flipping the LCD require a little more effort, but it is not a big deal at all in my opinion. I just really feel the RRS plate is more compact, even with the two pieces. The two piece design is a big plus, and adds no heft or extra weight.

Bottom line, the RRS plate just seemed much better designed in terms of it's fit to the A7r. I actually keep the plate on most of the time, and the extra attention to detail, especially along the base and grip of the plate really made this plate stand out against the Markins. I would recommend folks look at both side by side.



Mar 11, 2014 at 03:59 AM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


here's another option - no affiliation

http://www.milich.com/sonya7plate.html



Mar 11, 2014 at 04:36 AM
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Thanks Anthony! Did you find the weight to be significantly different?

anthonylars wrote:
I tried both plates and I very much preferred the RRS. It does make flipping the LCD require a little more effort, but it is not a big deal at all in my opinion. I just really feel the RRS plate is more compact, even with the two pieces. The two piece design is a big plus, and adds no heft or extra weight.

Bottom line, the RRS plate just seemed much better designed in terms of it's fit to the A7r. I actually keep the plate on most of the time, and the extra attention to detail, especially along the
...Show more



Mar 11, 2014 at 01:23 PM
pixelreaper
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


+1 regarding pricing.

robsonj wrote:
I ordered the ebay version also, again as others, all of my stuff is RRS, but to be frank I think their pricing is verging on extortion, hence looking else where.




Mar 11, 2014 at 01:26 PM
Beni
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I've got the old RRS lever release so I'm somewhat hostage to using their plates, just to get a fit. Problem then is that I lose the ability to tilt down which I'm rather loathe to lose. Not sure why RRS have been churning out duds recently, there was the whole 5D3 fiasco with about 3 versions till they got it right. I'd get the markins but I've heard that it doesn't fit in the old lever release by someone who tried. Shame, it's significantly cheaper too.


Mar 11, 2014 at 04:45 PM
kdrk888
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


Don't mean to hijack the thread. How about the non "L" type quick release plate for the A7? Any recommendation?

Thanks,

Douglas



Mar 11, 2014 at 05:18 PM
JaKo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


anthonylars wrote:
I tried both plates and I very much preferred the RRS. It does make flipping the LCD require a little more effort, but it is not a big deal at all in my opinion. I just really feel the RRS plate is more compact, even with the two pieces. The two piece design is a big plus, and adds no heft or extra weight.

Bottom line, the RRS plate just seemed much better designed in terms of it's fit to the A7r. I actually keep the plate on most of the time, and the extra attention to detail, especially along the
...Show more

^^^ I totally share your view on RRS quality. In addition, RRS' L-module is machined as one solid piece; something that is more expensive to produce and perhaps more rigid than two separate plates fastened together by a screw.
Supplied Wing-Screw allows for easy, no-tools-required attaching of the L component, if one choses not to have it mounted all the time.

Oh, and how about black anodized finish on RRS products comparing to others? I am sure it won't wear off just after few weeks.




Edited on Mar 12, 2014 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions



Mar 11, 2014 at 05:57 PM
DRose44
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I have owned a couple of the i-shoot (the ebay one) L-plates for Fuji along with many RRS, Kirk, Markins, Pro Media Gear brackets and plates. The quality of the i-shoot is right up there with the best of them.

Just ordered one for my a7R.



Mar 11, 2014 at 09:30 PM
lenticular11
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RRS vs. Markins L-Plate for A7r


I just ordered the I-Shoot. For A$79 delivered it's worth a try.

I would really have liked to buy a Milich plate, but that would have cost me US$190-200 delivered



Mar 11, 2014 at 09:58 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password