FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Chickadee

pdmilesjr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chickadee

Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between a black capped chickadee and a carolina chickadee? I am guessing that this one is a carolina chickadee since my book said that the wings of the black capped were more strongly edged with white.

Mar 09, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chickadee

Hi Paul, looks like in souther Ohio you get a mix of both. My book says the voice of the Carolina is a much faster chickadee-dee than the Black Capped. Also the Black Capped has a rougher bottom edge to the black bibb under the chin.

The colors in your image seem a bit muted, a little muddy in color? Nice focus hit to the eye, nice pose too and looks like good details
Karl

Mar 09, 2014 at 08:17 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chickadee

Nice shot Paul. For sure it is a chickadee. Not familiar with the southern variation so cannot help you there.

Mar 09, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chickadee

Paul,

may I recommend you use a faster shutter speed. 1/500 is simply not fast enough for the little ones from my experience. I would also recommend you try to set focus on the eye of the bird.

Love the background & perch.

Lil

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:05 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.