Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Michigan HS Hockey Finals

andypep
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Friday and Saturday were a few long days for me. I photographed 5 HS games and one college hockey game. These are from Saturday's HS finals.

There were a few major story lines this weekend. On Friday, the senior captain of the Grandville hockey team passed away in his sleep of an enlarged heart. (RickVB photographed their regional win the previous week and posted about it here). The team played and lost. While I was not there, a buddy of mine said it was one of the most surreal hockey games he has ever covered.

On to Saturday. One of the teams coaches was going for his 11th state championship, 14th in schools history. Last week he became the most winning hockey coach in the state. They won. Another team was in their first finals in school history, and they won.

The other major story dealt with Detroit Catholic Central HS. One of their players, during a pre HS season game was paralyzed from the waist down in a freak accident when a few of his vertebrae were crushed when he went hard into the boards. Most every team in the state was wearing his number 18 throughout the entire season.

On to the pics.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.5    1/640s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/3.5    1/640s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    115mm    f/3.5    1/640s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM
andypep
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Here are three more. The last image is Matt - the paralyzed player. I was able to get this image using the "hail mary" technique. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I am not gonna lie - got a little scared when I saw this image. I am lucky to not have gotten hit.

Canon EOS 7D    EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens    15mm    f/4.0    1/640s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Great shots, thanks for sharing them here. I found out about the Grandville player on Saturday morning and couldn't believe it. A very sad story and tough for those kids to go out and try and play that night I am sure. The first shot of the second set is crazy. Was the puck flying at you or was it popped up in the air. It looks like it's headed for your face.

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andypep
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Thanks Rick. In the 4th photo. The puck was tipped and bounced around then landed in the box between the benches at my feet.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Great shots again, and now the question, when are you buying a helmet?

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:26 PM
andypep
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Michigan HS Hockey Finals

Steve - thanks. Funny thing is that I actually have a helmet in my garage from when I was a referee. I just never bring it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password