Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

Actually, it was only intermittently non-focusing.

**MAIN QUESTION:
Can looking at EXIF data help narrow down AF problems to either the body or lens?**

Had it outside in 20F temps. That hasn't ever been enough to cause gear to act weird in the past.

I shot a bit first w/ lens #1, no problems. Switched to lens #2, did fine at first, then simply wouldn't AF.

I tried pointing it at several high-contrast items.

I checked the C/S/M switch, that was on S.

I have the lens AF/M switch gaffer-taped to AF.

I tried mounting/remounting at least twice, maybe even thrice, all w/ the same results.

Finally it returned to functioning normal, but I want to figure this out.

What it be doing

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:54 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

When you switched lenses you probably allowed internal components to freeze/get condensation that muddy up the contacts is all.

Mar 09, 2014 at 01:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

You also had what appears to be adequate light. I think you inadvertently got your breath on the rear element of the lens and it took a while to evaporate.

Mar 09, 2014 at 02:14 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

Those out-of-focus light disks are pretty well defined. It probably focused on them as being the highest contrast edge it could find.

Mar 09, 2014 at 02:22 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

Three things occur to me:

1: Condensation on the lens rear element, mirror, or AF sensor that prevented focus (but I would expect this to cause the problem at first, not be good for a few shots, then stop. But if the lens was in a warm pouch or something, I can see this happening after a few shots.).

2: Condensation on the lens electronics, but I would expect an error message, although it with Nikon's system sometimes it doesn't.

3: The metal baffle / shield over the AF sensor got stuck for a few shots, then unstuck. This happens sometimes in temperature extremes and can have effects from no AF to randomly weird AF. Sometimes it happens once and never happens again, but sometimes it eventually sticks in the bad position and has to go to Nikon.

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

RCicala wrote:
if the lens was in a warm pouch or something, I can see this happening after a few shots.)

It had been in a Think Tank belt pouch for the ~15 minutes we had been shooting. But as I was wearing 5 layers on top, I doubt that any of my body heat had warmed it up.

Thanks for the insight.

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:12 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can EXIF data help troubleshoot a non-focusing lens?

But getting back to my original question- is there anything in the EXIF data, i.e., something more extensive than seen in the caption above, that can help narrow down whether the body or lens was misbehaving?

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.