Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · When to walk away from work?

keith_cooper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When to walk away from work?

What point do the warning bells ring?

I get asked quite often by other photographers about pricing and Ts&Cs for work, sometime directly (which I don't mind) and sometime in the guise of a fake enquiry about work (I can usually spot it a mile off and my response depends on how mischievous a mood I'm in ;-)

After a call last week from a photographer, who had accepted work without working out all the costs, I remembered when I'd nearly took on work some time ago, but walked away from it.

Anyway, I've written up some of what happened, as much as anything to encourage those new to the business, that whilst any of us can be too keen sometimes, having a slightly more formalised enquiry handling process can let you step back and see whether something is right for you.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff2/?p=2569

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:15 AM
FstopRocker

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When to walk away from work?

Great stuff Mate. From someone who is still in the first stages of business, I truly appreciate it.

It's awfully refreshing to hear an encouraging word for the new guys, rather than the old "You have to pay your dues or get out of the kitchen" type remarks. I hope to be in a position soon, where I can offer the same sort of advice to the young guys. (Metaphorically speaking, of course. They don't have to necessarily be young, nor guys for that matter)

By the way, I'm still browsing your website, here an hour later or so later. Good articles. Keep up the good work.

_RW

Apr 24, 2014 at 04:26 PM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When to walk away from work?

Thanks - glad to hear it's of interest!

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:33 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When to walk away from work?

That "scope creep" thing is the number one warning that I really don't want to work for this person. I experience it most often with small companies who think that once I'm on site and set up, I won't mind "shooting just a couple more (for free)"

Or the client who wants some outdoor product shots who also wants me to scope out potential locations (subject to their approval) for no additional charge.

Or the client who balks at paying for a catered lunch for models, assistant(s), and company personnel, even when it's an all day shoot at a remote location.

All of them are bad news up front and bad news later on.

Run away, very quickly.

<Chas>

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:51 PM
pdp123
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When to walk away from work?

Keith, That was a great reminder for us who have been in business for a while and a better piece of information for anyone starting out. Thanks for posting your link.

Apr 26, 2014 at 08:39 AM
mranger211
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When to walk away from work?

Great post, Keith. Sometimes the best strategy is just to walk away from a potential client. Personally, as a rule, I do not talk price on the phone as it opens the door for misunderstanding and "scope creep". I try to get as much information about the project, and promise a detailed estimate in writing. This gives me the time to work out everything, including doing some research on the client. It also gives the client a better idea about what exactly is involved in the project. Sometimes inexperienced clients do not understand the amount of work required to get them the results they want.

Martin

Apr 30, 2014 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.