1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Where's The 14-24?

GreenMountainG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Where's The 14-24?

Steve Perry wrote:
I know it may come as a shock, but it's one of my favorites

Fantastic photos! I especially like the third image. But the fourth one is more like something I might actually shoot! There are more waterfalls available here than that type of mountain scape.

I've been considering buying the 14-24 because I have heard so much about it, and images from it are often exceptional. I don't mind not being able to use filters - don't use them all that often anyway. But I am wondering about the bulbous nature of the lens. Looks like the hood offers pretty good protection as long as you don't drag it around over bricks or in a brush pile!

Will it work well on a D7000? I realize the angle of view will be reduced, but should still be plenty wide. I am going to take my 18-105mm lens and try it out at the widest settings just to make sure I would be happy with it. My tendency is to zoom in on things, since I am used to trying to capture wildlife as close as possible!

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:15 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Where's The 14-24?

GreenMountainG wrote:
Will it work well on a D7000? I realize the angle of view will be reduced, but should still be plenty wide. I am going to take my 18-105mm lens and try it out at the widest settings just to make sure I would be happy with it. My tendency is to zoom in on things, since I am used to trying to capture wildlife as close as possible!

Will it work? Of course. You're dining on the image center so does the 16-35 (24-53 vs 21-36) offer you less? Doubtful.
Filters, no exposed front element, VR. Lots of advantages, no downside. IMHO, worth the grief on a FF. 14mm is after all...14mm with minimal distortion.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM
brianric
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Where's The 14-24?

I shot charity events, and with the indoor events getting more crowded the 14-24 is starting to be used more.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Where's The 14-24?

Here's my latest shot from it @14mm
http://studio102.net/uploads/josh/_DSC6971bw.jpg

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM
GreenMountainG

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Where's The 14-24?

Will it work? Of course. You're dining on the image center so does the 16-35 (24-53 vs 21-36) offer you less? Doubtful.
Filters, no exposed front element, VR. Lots of advantages, no downside. IMHO, worth the grief on a FF. 14mm is after all...14mm with minimal distortion.

I know it will work, but was asking if it would be a good combination. I have heard that the 16-35 has flaws that make it not as good as the 14-24. Just in case I manage to acquire a FF camera in the future, I prefer to get the best I can. And, since I am giving up some wide angle with the 14-24, it does not seem practical to give up even more with the 16-35!

Thanks for your feedback.

Susan

Mar 12, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Where's The 14-24?

GreenMountainG wrote:
Fantastic photos! I especially like the third image. But the fourth one is more like something I might actually shoot! There are more waterfalls available here than that type of mountain scape.

I've been considering buying the 14-24 because I have heard so much about it, and images from it are often exceptional. I don't mind not being able to use filters - don't use them all that often anyway. But I am wondering about the bulbous nature of the lens. Looks like the hood offers pretty good protection as long as you don't drag it around over bricks or
...Show more

Thanks!

I can tell you from my use, that I personally wouldn't like it on DX - although I use it at every focal length, that 14-20mm range is where most of my shots are taken. I think if you get it, you'll be looking for a D600 or D800 real soon.

As for the front element - I'm hard on gear, out in everything from rainstorms, to sandstorms, to hot and humid and -40F, and have even been blasted by wave once! Despite everything, the front element on mine still looks like new.

As for filters, see my video

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Where's The 14-24?

just got my 14-24 delivered to me tonight. The hood is better on the 14-24 than it was my Samyang - and that thing was used I wouldn't worry about it personally - other than it costs a bit. But that is why I have insurance

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:58 PM
GreenMountainG

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Where's The 14-24?

Steve Perry wrote:
I can tell you from my use, that I personally wouldn't like it on DX - although I use it at every focal length, that 14-20mm range is where most of my shots are taken. I think if you get it, you'll be looking for a D600 or D800 real soon.

As for the front element - I'm hard on gear, out in everything from rainstorms, to sandstorms, to hot and humid and -40F, and have even been blasted by wave once! Despite everything, the front element on mine still looks like new.

As for filters, see my video

Steve, Thanks for the reply. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't like the 14-24mm lens on DX, besides losing some wide angle? I have considered a D800, but feel that acquiring quality lenses is first priority. Perhaps later...

Thanks for the link to the video. I have looked into filters, and the Fotodiox filter system looks very attractive. Especially since the package with filter gives such a good discount on the filter-with-package. There are other systems out there, but some are prohibitively expensive.

Susan

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:43 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Where's The 14-24?

GreenMountainG wrote:
Steve, Thanks for the reply. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't like the 14-24mm lens on DX, besides losing some wide angle? I have considered a D800, but feel that acquiring quality lenses is first priority. Perhaps later...

Thanks for the link to the video. I have looked into filters, and the Fotodiox filter system looks very attractive. Especially since the package with filter gives such a good discount on the filter-with-package. There are other systems out there, but some are prohibitively expensive.

Susan

Hi Susan -

You got it - the only thing I have against it on DX is that, IMO, you lose the coolest feature of the lens - the really UWA stuff.

However, if you're doing it as strategy to get good glass and then go FF in the future, I can totally see it. I do think the 14-24 will make your next purchase an FX camera though - just warning ya

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:43 PM
GreenMountainG

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Where's The 14-24?

Steve Perry wrote:
Hi Susan -

You got it - the only thing I have against it on DX is that, IMO, you lose the coolest feature of the lens - the really UWA stuff.

However, if you're doing it as strategy to get good glass and then go FF in the future, I can totally see it. I do think the 14-24 will make your next purchase an FX camera though - just warning ya

Thanks for the warning Steve! I already know that photography can be a "money pit", with a steep and slippery slope! This is why I approach purchases carefully and with forethought... I looked up the angle of view for the 14-24, and it goes from 114-84 on FX, and 90-61 on DX. This is much wider than what I now have, so still a plus for me!

Yes, I believe you have described my strategy correctly. If I only get DX glass, then I limit myself; if I get FX glass, understanding what is lost and what is gained, I retain the option of switching to an FX camera without going through the lens investment process all over again.

I have been using my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro lens for some general photography, and appreciate the better light-gathering ability so much that it makes me feel more frustration with my other lenses!

Appreciate your help.

Susan

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:13 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.