New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · ball head help…

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ball head help…

I've had a manfrotto 322 RC2 for many years (and the older pistol style before that), and it is time for me to upgrade. Ive been happy with that one, so I am not super picky lol.

I have a D600 a 14-24 and heaviest glass I would see myself shooting with would be a 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 - so not a huge stress load.

The size of the RRS BH-30 is appealing. I know there are a ton of similar ball heads that would be better than what I have, but not as good as the RRS, which is fine. What ball heads would fit this bill? I know manfrotto makes ball heads for cheap ($150-200), and I see a ton on ebay that look well built - but have never heard of them. I am heading on a trip to the SW for 9 days next month, and will be camping the whole time - so would like something before then.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ball head help…

seems sunwayfoto has some nice looking products… tempted

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ball head help…

Consider Feisol. Looks like the Kirk but less expensive.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:41 PM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ball head help…

I picked up a Horusbennu LX-5 from Korea on eBay, for ~$80, and it's pretty nice. Large 44mm ball and no creep with a D600/80-400G. The panning is a bit stiff on mine, but thats not the end of the world. Great value ball head in my opinion.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:50 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ball head help…

I moved from pistol grips to balls..... and then back again. Pistols really spoiled me. I had a 322 RC2 and really didn't like it as the bezel was smooth and I couldn't grip it when I needed to spin it. The handle position limits movement so I moved to a Manfrotto 222. The issues with this one is that it is heavy, high so can bit a bit torquey (bouncy), and not easy to squeeze. But this 222 has remained my everyday head.

I could not get used to a ball head.... my brain was spoiled by a pistol. I kept dropping my rig over "clunk!" and pinched my finger "FK!!!". I know I am a dope, but nothing is as intuitive as a just letting go of a pistol to lock everything.

Best pistol I ever used was a SLIK, still in production after twenty years or so.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:50 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ball head help…

I just did the same thing. Have a bunch of Manfrotto. They make some nice heads, but I don't believe their ball heads are all that. I also like the Arca Swiss plates (but I'm stuck for video!).

I narrowed my choices down to SunwayFoto, Isolde and Sirui. These are all excellent brands. The SunwayFoto was inches away from being bought - I've been eying them for months, but I changed my mind at the last second. Check the forums here for reviews from a year or two ago when SunwayFoto gave FM members ball heads for reviews! Some very comprehensive reviews and tear-downs.

Check this review showdown, and this review showdown, but you'll need a translator unless your Deutsche is good!

The Feisol and Sirui are a tiny bit less expensive than the SunwayFoto, but not enough I think to be a determining factor. The SunwayFoto probably has the sexiest look and feel, but that's really subjective. I've got a friend with the BH-55, and that's like a piece of jewelery. I thought I'd get something smaller - and got the Sirui K-40X. Smaller? I think the ball itself is. The whole head certainly is not. So, the 30 would probably have been closer to what I'd want looking back on it! I can't say enough good things about the Sirui, I'd buy again. It's really, really silky - easy to use and move, positive locking.

If I were to complain it would be the locking knob is sort of small - but I'd have that complaint about all of them compared to the BH-55!! Gorgeous finish - top notch. The rubber grip is nice, and the friction number settings are easy to set as well as is the friction set screw. Panning is super smooth - not like a fluid head but really nice. Put it this way - I've gotten to use another brand a few times that's well loved (but somewhat obscure) and I think this trounces it for less than half the price. It's in the first review there. I also like the all-metal knobs on the SunwayFoto (not all models) but a lot of people in the cold country give this a demerit - I can see why.

Feisol also makes a carbon fiber body version that's inexpensive - and as much as I like carbon fiber (I know you don't) I wonder how it would work for a ball head. Shaving off weight couldn't hurt, but I think a hunk of alloy is best for a body.

Anyway, I can say having handled both SunwayFoto and Sirui they're built like tanks. I'd assume Feisol is in there too, their tripods certainly are nice. If you think about SunwayFoto, OEC camera at Amazon and eBay are really good to deal with, and have great prices on their entire line.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ball head help…

Rather than the BH-30, take a look at the Markins Q3T for small (1 series equivalent) tripods.

EBH

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:00 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ball head help…

Also take a look at the Photo Clam ballheads, like the Markins they are copies of the Arca-Swiss B1/Z1 but a bit cheaper in price. I've used one and it was pretty good.

Whatever you get make sure it has an Arca-Swiss type of quick release, you'll need to buy a new plate for your camera but it's by far the most widely used QR system and is no longer proprietary like the Manfrotto QR system.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ball head help…

EB-1 wrote:
Rather than the BH-30, take a look at the Markins Q3T for small (1 series equivalent) tripods.

EBH

I agree. I know you are going to get a bunch of replies praising different ones based on experience, so take what we all say with a grain of salt. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major player heads, but my personal vote is for Markins, as I have used one of their heads for the past five years and am completely satisfied with it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:46 PM
stubbsj20

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ball head help…

I am currently facing the same dilemma as you. After doing some research, I have “narrowed” my list down to the below.

Benro B3
Photo Clam PRO 38NS
Sunwayfoto FB-44DL
Induro BHD2
Sirui K-40x

Based on what I have read, I keep going back and forth on whether to just save my pennies and get an Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1.

I know this doesn’t help much, but it may give you a couple other options to look at. I am looking forward to the advice you receive.

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:04 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ball head help…

stubbsj20 wrote:
I am currently facing the same dilemma as you. After doing some research, I have “narrowed” my list down to the below.

Benro B3
Photo Clam PRO 38NS
Sunwayfoto FB-44DL
Induro BHD2
Sirui K-40x

Based on what I have read, I keep going back and forth on whether to just save my pennies and get an Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1.

I know this doesn’t help much, but it may give you a couple other options to look at. I am looking forward to the advice you receive.

The Sunway is the standout of that group. I'm an RRS/Markins guy, but I also have a Sunway (sent as a free sample), and it definitely has that high-end build and feel. If you can, buy your head w/o a clamp, and buy an RRS clamp.

Mar 11, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ball head help…

thanks guys! I was looking at the Manfrotto 055 head, the sunwayphoto FB-36 and now the sirui K30x.

I am leaning twords the sunway FB-36. The link was fantastic for the comparisons!

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:56 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ball head help…

I know this thread has veered off of the BH-30 for a bit, but wanted to say a word about it. Just mounted one to my new Gitzo GT0541 legs and have to say, it's a nice combo size wise. The BH-30 feels exactly like a shrunken version of my BH-40, which is to say, very very nice!

Picked up this setup for a small travel kit and it's pretty much perfect for that. The head is perhaps a little overkill for these spindly legs at $250, but I feel like I'll get a lot of milage out of it!

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM
JCWOlson

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ball head help…

There's a German article comparing 37 ballheads of various different sizes and price ranges, and two of the highest scorers were from Sirui and Feisol - in fact, Feisol had two that scored higher than the RRS BH-55. Dollar for dollar, the best 'name brand' for your money is the Markins Q3, which scored 85 overall to the RRS BH-40's 77 points(sirui had a $50 ball score nearly as well)
http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ballhead/ballheads.php

The Markins Q20 wasn't tested, but it's a bit heavier than what you need anyways.

Mar 15, 2014 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.