New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              21       22       end

Archive 2014 · Money equals talent ?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Money equals talent ?

Maybe not the right forum for this...but as a lifelong Canon user (since the 60s) and a viewer of this forum for a few years now and see the comments made...and recent comments on this forum have motivated this...here is the question:

Does having loads of money make a person a better photographer?

I say that as I am always surprised at the number of post where people have gear that is (from my humble perspective) totally superb and out of my reach..but they need to 'upgrade' to get the results they need.

I basically wander around with a G1X and a G111 1.7 QL loaded with PanF......how do I cope??

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Money equals talent ?

I can't contribute cogently to this topic because I ain't got either the money or the talent, however, I expect Dan Mitchell will be here presently, and he will elucidate the issue like no other could.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:08 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Money equals talent ?

PetKal wrote:
I can't contribute cogently to this topic because I ain't got either the money or the talent, however, I expect Dan Mitchell will be here presently, and he will elucidate the issue like no other could.

Can't wait then

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:13 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Money equals talent ?

"Does having loads of money make a person a better photographer?"

if one has no talent or lacks the photographers eye; hell no. i'll leave it at that. good day.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:16 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Money equals talent ?

But which is more important: being a better photographer or taking better pictures?

And then define better pictures: pictures other photographers like better, or pictures that people buy more of?

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Money equals talent ?

I've got loads of talent.
I've just never been able to share it with anyone, describe it, or produce any thing with it.
However, I'll sell you some.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:28 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Money equals talent ?

R.H. Johnson wrote:
"Does having loads of money make a person a better photographer?"

if one has no talent or lacks the photographers eye; hell no. i'll leave it at that. good day.

The question is deeper than that...read the multitude of posts that equate 'good' images with high definition or dynamic range...qualities that can presumably be best achieved with the 'best' gear...namely...gear that isn't cheap.

There seems to be a new aesthetic in photography biased towards a definition promoted by the camera manufacturers that equates some forms of (technical) image generation as being superior to others...for example....the 50mm 1.2 being superior to the 1.4. This sensor being much better than this one...and so on.

Although with a little manipulation in PS I am surprised many people can tell the difference in most cases...just one example. People who 'need' 10 frames per second as eight doesn't cut it...another example.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:31 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Money equals talent ?

you definitely need some of both

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:40 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Money equals talent ?

Recently shot some promo stuff for canon on a G16.

The style, framing, content of the shots were very similar to what I would get with any gear. Just you couldnt print them anywhere near as big. Obviously I wasnt shooting sports or BIF but I did a fair bit of night/astro work.

Would I by choice? No, I would pick a better tool for the job, and do, because they exist and I can afford them

I cant affort the new PhaseOne IQ250 nor medium format gear to go along with it.

So I 'make do' with canon SLR. Its a happy affordable (just) compromise, like most things in life.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Money equals talent ?

anthonygh wrote:
...and a G111 1.7 QL loaded with PanF......how do I cope??

load it with HP5--liberating!

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Money equals talent ?

Does having loads of money make a person a better photographer?

No. Not in the least.

Spendy gear will enhance the technical quality of your images, but won't do a damn thing for your ability to 'see' and synthesize an appealing image. (In anything, the all-too-common fixation on gear invariably serves as a huge distraction and impediment to developing one's aesthetic abilities.)

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:14 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Money equals talent ?

About as much as talent = money ��

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:14 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Money equals talent ?

Money and Talent are two unrelated attributes - one is not dependent on the other.

Though, by having good equipment you will be able to take photos that may not be possible with lessor or less equipment.

If you choose to buy the best of the best - good for you, it has absolutely nothing to do with me, it will not make me feel more or less.

I have a very good friend who has the best of the best, he take great photos, with his gear he can make photos that would be impossible for me to make if we both stood in the same spot.

If you are a professional photographer, you need to have the gear that gets the job done, no more and no less.

If you are a non-professional - then use what makes you happy.

Talent! ? What is talent? Is a talented photographer one that makes lots of money? Is it someone who makes THE best single photo?

When we do look at photos - who can tell if it was shot with the most expensive camera and lens? with the exception of specialty gear. No One and tell if it was shot by a Nikon or Pentax or Canon camera kit. Likewise, no one can see if you have edited it on a Mac or a PC, though many Mac user's will beg to differ...

I can't believe I am responding to this I must be bored

All the best - just make sure regardless of what you shoot with, that you have fun doing so, if not make sure you make good money from it

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:15 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Money equals talent ?

anthonygh wrote:
Can't wait then

I think I'll watch my PVR'd Walking Dead episode instead.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Money equals talent ?

To me the point is moot because outside of some specific usage cases (like BIF, wildlife, sports shooting, very low light, etc..) , the image quality of today's inexpensive bodies and lenses is well beyond what is required to achieve IQ close to the most expensive gear available.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Money equals talent ?

anthonygh wrote:
The question is deeper than that...read the multitude of posts that equate 'good' images with high definition or dynamic range...qualities that can presumably be best achieved with the 'best' gear...namely...gear that isn't cheap.

There seems to be a new aesthetic in photography biased towards a definition promoted by the camera manufacturers that equates some forms of (technical) image generation as being superior to others...for example....the 50mm 1.2 being superior to the 1.4. This sensor being much better than this one...and so on.

Yep, that's where the rot has crept in. With not a little help from the manufacturer's marketing monkeys, the majority of photographers have come to worship 'sharpness,' resolution, DR, etc. as holy; assigning these attributes value far above mere aesthetic merit. This is - of course - all backwards, but just try convincing a new 5D3 owner! It's impossible. It's too late. He's already chugged a toxic dose of the megapickle flavored kool aid. Maybe, in a few years, he'll start to question his gear fetish. But in the short term, the typical gear dweeb with a high end camera will cheerfully go on snapping amazingly sharp, oversaturated, terminally _boring_ images. What's worse, his aggressive gear enthusiasm will likely infect others with this insidious disease.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:28 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Money equals talent ?

Yes, in some niche areas better more expensive equipment does help capture better photos. I'd say out on a Safari trip, a 600mm f4 lens will allow for better photos than a 28-200 f5.6 zoom. A 1dx will allow for a better chance to get the image of the hand just touching home plate during the winning run of the world series than say a rebel. A TSE lens will get you those great indoor images without having the walls look like they are caving in compared to a 17-40 zoom.

So, yes...equipment does allow for better photos. If you think otherwise...then why are you still not shooting with a 10d?

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:38 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Money equals talent ?

For some areas, having the money for the better (aka expensive) equipment is helpful. However, you can get great shots out of a budget setup.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Money equals talent ?

chez wrote:
I think I'll watch my PVR'd Walking Dead episode instead.

I'll be watching the Kardashians something......and that is as low brow entertainment as I can possibly fathom. Well, yes, there is the Duck Dynasty too....

Edited on Mar 08, 2014 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Money equals talent ?

It can be a VERY contentious subject - that of money. No doubt richer photogs have access to almost all the gear they want. Whereas the less wealthy don't have the ability to order a 500 f4L IS on a whim, or 'play around' with a 200-400.

We all know talent has nothing to do with money, but having top shelf gear and the time to indulge your interest, or to travel, does make a huge difference when it comes to accessing photo opportunities.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.