New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

supermario343
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

Hi everyone...I would love some help with a roller bag for my equipment.

My equipment list is:
-Canon 5d mark iii
-Canon 24-70L II
-Sigma 35
-Canon 100L
-Canon 200mm f/2L IS

I also have a few screw on filters and giottos rocket blower that I carry in my backpack. I can no longer fit all my gear since I acquired the 200 f/2L beast. Can anyone recommend me a good roller bag that will fit all this equipment and then some for future lenses? My budget would be under $400 if possible. Thanks much and appreciate any imput.

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:29 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

Whichever Think Tank best fits your gear.

I have the Airport International V2, which is probably on the big side for you, but it's incredibly fantastic. Their bags are just a huge step above the rest.

For what it's worth, in my International I fit:

Nikon D3
Nikon D700
70-200 2.8
24 1.4
35 1.4
85 1.4
90 2.8 Macro
SB-900 flash
Yonguo 560 flash x4
The typical filters, batteries, etc...

Mar 08, 2014 at 04:08 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

I'm needing a roller too - and have looked at the usual suspects and a couple extras.

I've really fallen for Vanguard bags in the past few years - I'm no fan of their tripods but their cases are winning awards like crazy in Europe - I think for good reason.

The Think Tank Airport 4 is one I've looked at - and I'm not sure if I need all 4 wheels or not. For regular luggage it's a must, but for camera gear it could be an extra set of wheels in the way. The Vanguard Xcenior 48T is one I'm really liking, but not sure if I want it to hold my laptop. If so, I'd need a larger model like the 62T as I've got a 17" laptop. It'd be nice to get everything into one bag - but if it didn't fit in the overhead or under a seat I'd be in deep doo-doo! There are several bags in this series so check them out.

The Heralder 51T is super flexible, 4 wheels and can turn into a backpack. This is tempting too. One of my Vanguard bags is a Heralder, they seem to be a sort of "hybrid" line, and I love it. Their Quovio 49T looks a bit more compact - I'm not sure it's for me but might be of interest to you. I'm also looking at it for Video gear, so possibly 15mm rail and follow focus, perhaps a C100 camera - you know how that stuff must just breed in the closet!

Anyway, compare the features - there's a lot of reasons to like the Vanguard products. I've owned or do own most every popular brand - and overall this has become my go-to brand for the time being. Good pricing, amazing engineering and has the protective qualities I expect and demand.

Oh! So you know what I get into my regular Heralder 38 bag when necessary:
- Canon 6D
- Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS
- EF 17-40 f4L
- EF 24-105 f4L IS
- 50mm f1.4
- 600EX-RT flash in case
- YN-565EX flash in case
- Giottos Rocket (med)
- 4-6 spare batteries
- 4-6 AAA x 4 battery packs
- 4+ filters in boxes
- bunch o SD cards
- 3 Trigmaster Plus Triggers & cable
- lenspen
- pens, pencils, readers
- iPad
- Battery Charger for Camera and AAA

So, the thing IS one solid brick, and yes, you would NOT want to carry it around like this.
However, if I needed to I could pull out the 6D with the 70-200 on it from the zippered top and shoot. It's quite comfortable with 2-3 lenses and one flash and batteries and such. The layout of the bag is spectacular. Their Up-Rise series is expandable, all of them come with laptop capabilities and sleeves.

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:15 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

Appreciate the input guys. Ive been looking at the Vanguard Xcenior 48T a lot and think I will go with that one. I wont really be carrying a laptop with me so fitting that won't be a problem for me. All these roller bags look beastly lol.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

BTW, United Airlines just has started enforcing carry-on restrictions of 9x14x22.

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:47 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

for airport and genera use, I take pelican 1510 with divider inserts and pouch top.
it can fit 1DX (2), 300 2.8 IS (with hood), 580 EX II, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, and 24-70. and all those pockets (5) on top to put filters, cards, cleaners, etc etc... and you can carry it with you at the airport as carry on.

/r
Andy

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:08 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend me a sturdy roller bag

Here is my list in order of desire pelican, think tank, Lowepro . I have a Lowepro road treaters aw I'm needing to unload to free up some space.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.