Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Maui Drone Photography

Lccameron

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maui Drone Photography

I'm exploring the idea of utilizing a drone for a low altitude shot I need for an upcoming project on Maui. Has anyone had any experience with capturing hi-res images with drones? I contacted one local company (mostly weddings and real estate) but their services retained copyright to the images, a non-starter for my needs. I have the time and place selected - I just need a drone pilot to lift a camera up about fifty feet for the shot. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:56 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maui Drone Photography

This may be of absolutely no help, but if you only need to go up 50ft I imagine it would be as cheap to rent a lift for the day from an industrial rental yard. Either a boom or scissor lift, depending on the location. I imagine the quality of the photo would be better too.

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:17 PM
Lccameron

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maui Drone Photography

Good suggestion but unfortunately the location won't allow for heavy equipment - too remote. A drone/balloon seems the only way.

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:36 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maui Drone Photography

You could possibly try contacting some RC stores in your area or see if there is a RC airplane club in your area. Their might be people that have the equipment already and the knowledge to operate it. I would go with one of the multiple rotor helicopters.

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:04 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maui Drone Photography

FWIW, apparently this apparently isn't as simple as buying a unit and having at it - there's been several articles lately about how this isn't exactly legal/the FAA is trying to figure out how to control drone usage:

businessweek article on drones used for photography

Good Luck sorting it out.

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:42 PM
msack
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maui Drone Photography

It is legal now, the court overturned the FAA ruling. Look at DJI equipment, it's fairly easy to use and relatively inexpensive. I'd recommend the option with the Phantom 2 with gimble and then buying a Go Pro 3. I have one and the resolution and capabilities are amazing. It's not a buy it one day and become an expert the next. There is definitely a learning curve.

Mar 15, 2014 at 08:07 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maui Drone Photography

msack wrote:
It is legal now, the court overturned the FAA ruling.

You are mistaken. In the Ralph Pirker case, the FAA appealed the ruling. So the court stayed the ruling until the appeal is heard. A long way from "legal now."

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maui Drone Photography

We call them UAV's (unmanned aerial vehicleIs) not drones. In Australia you have to have a pilots license to shoot commercially using a UAV. The law is changing as we speak. My son is involved in the training. The quality from the Phantom/go-pro setup is amazing. I am thinking of getting some video of a wedding to promote to clients. We do a lot of outdoor weddings. Adds a whole new dimension to capturing a wedding.

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Silver506

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maui Drone Photography

http://www.droneabove.com/gallery.html

Apr 06, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maui Drone Photography

EOS M drone.

Apr 06, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maui Drone Photography

What a great rig Paul! Who makes that product?

Apr 06, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Lccameron

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Maui Drone Photography

Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to secure some assistance but have a good lead. I'm trying to resist buying anything as it's a one-off situation plus I don't want to schlep it from the east coast.

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Shootmenow

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Maui Drone Photography

I heard on NPR radio that you'll need a pilots license for commercial use in the US. However, you can still use it as a hobbyist.

Jun 01, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Maui Drone Photography

JWilsonphoto wrote:
What a great rig Paul! Who makes that product?

Sorry, I don't know. They became very popular with journalists for covering ongoing protests in Bangkok, and are now trendy with production companies shooting soap operas.

Jun 02, 2014 at 04:38 AM
Lccameron

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Maui Drone Photography

Quick follow up and wrinkle about the drone: I was not able to secure the drone service I had hoped for, in part, due to the weather. But the main complication came from the vendor and the requirements in his contract. As I explained to him, I wanted to hire a camera mounted drone and an operator. I wanted to monitor the camera and direct the operator to the desired position then trigger the camera. After landing, I simply wanted to transfer the card to my laptop, return his card and pay him for his services. Initially he was willing to do this but then began to add other conditions to the contract including tieing the fee to the number of publications printed, post production costs, distribution areas, additional compensation for any second printing, a credit line in the book. All this amounted to doubling the original estimate with no firm final cost. While I am very familiar with copyright and useage fees, I balked at this proposal as I wasn't hiring him for any creative input, just the technical operation of he equipment. I've shot assignments with rental gear from a real helicopter and never run into this kind of restrictive interpretation of image rights. Maybe he was just trying to get out of supporting the shoot - don't really know. Anyone else run into this kind of situation?

Jun 07, 2014 at 01:35 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Maui Drone Photography

At first blush, it sounds like the operator views himself as a photographer and is trying to work/charge under the more traditional framework of retaining ownership of his images and charging for usage rather than simply doing "work for hire".

FWIW, Is the guy new to doing this? Changing his tune like that could be indicative of somebody still trying to figure out how to set up his business. Nothing really wrong with that I guess, I mean we were all there some time, right? :-), but it might mean you'd have to be extra wary of stuff like their insurance, billing issues at the back end when the guy figured out he didn't make any money and hits you up for something else to try and fix that, etc.

rkg
(Richard George)

P.S. here's another blerb on this issue of drones for photography in the US:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/faa-considers-drone-film-tv-145944890-cbs.html

Jun 08, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Kaj E
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Maui Drone Photography

A nice video from a "copter drone" of Helsinki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPzVzJFq0ZQ

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:50 PM
Stu Scully

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Maui Drone Photography

Sorry I'm late to the party but is are you using these shots for just a personal project or for a commercial project?

Also, depending on the kind of camera you want to use, the cost of the UAV rig involved can increase greatly. A UAV rig that can lift a DSLR an shoot stills/video costs thousands of dollars (properly set up and not crossing fingers it'll make it up and back without major issues). Generally folks who buy/build these rigs are production companies or well funded hobbyist. If you're just needing Go-Pro quality then you can get away with rigs that'll cost less than a thousand.

If the gig is a commercial gig you might have a hard time finding someone who'll do the shoot with no copyright attachments (or you 'll pay a lot of money up front). I think once the FAA does get around to writing firm legislation (and remove the cloud of "fighting the govt" that hovers over a lot of potential commercials uses now) this market will explode.

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:54 AM
Lccameron

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Maui Drone Photography

This was for a book project. My objection was not to the price offered, it was that the final price was tied to publication numbers and credit lines with no limit. In this particular case, I couldn't see how the rental of a piece of gear and an operator functioning in a technical support role should have fees tied to those factors. As I said, if I had rented a real helicopter for a shoot with a rental camera package, these factors would not come into play. If I had hired them to perform a creative service, I could see their argument but not in this case.

Jun 10, 2014 at 04:08 AM
Stu Scully

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Maui Drone Photography

Ah! Definitely sounds like someone who didn't want to do the job (and purposely priced themselves out of it) or they were trying to sneak into a quick big pay day.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password