Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for all the many nice posts and comments on these boards - a rare corner of civilisation on the internet.

I took this with a Nikon D700 and the 105mm f2.8, probably my favourite portrait combination and capable of lovely results. However since then I've sold all my Nikons and Nikkors barring an old FE-2 I'm keeping for sentimental reasons. I've switched to the Fuji X-T1. In many ways it's a lesser camera but it is 1/3 or the weight and 1/4 of the bulk and I think it's a lot closer to being a modern FE-2 than the Df or whatever.

It feels odd after 23 years to leave the Nikon world. I love the cameras. I just no longer want to hold them at eye level for hours at a time. And variety is the spice girl of life.

Steff by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Mar 08, 2014 at 04:59 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Good luck to you Ian. I hope the Fuji will be everything you want it to be.

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:20 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Good luck with the Fuji, Ian. I'm still waiting for the Nikon D 400, but that may never happen. I might be looking for a smaller, lighter camera also after my D 300s dies.

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:36 AM
SoccerTees

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

That's a brilliant pic. And all the best

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:11 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Come back if ya need it. But til then enjoy! There are some gorgeous camera bags to go with your pretty Fuji too. I'm bag shopping right now and all the big bags are so ugly. Like my Gura Gear. Great bag. But not as stylish as some of the little camera bags out there!

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:28 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

When I look at this picture it seems that she doesn't have troubles with bulk and weight.

Edited on Mar 08, 2014 at 10:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:43 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Best of luck!
I too have been with a D700 for 6 years and am contemplating a similar move away for the same reasons. With a heavy heart...

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:58 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

I sold one of my Nikon D300 bodies and I am selling the other. I am staying with Nikon for now. I have an F100 film body and the new 50mm F1.8G and the new 85mm F1.8G, two lenses that I like. I am not so sure about getting the new Nikon 35mm F1.8G for FX. It does not seem to be the lens quality that I am looking for in a wide angle lens. The Nikon 28mm F1.8, I don't know. I want a full frame Nikon DSLR body now. It would be tough to sell an entire kit of lenses that I like. To me, it is mostly about the lenses in a system. Have a nice life.

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Ian Boys wrote:
It feels odd after 23 years to leave the Nikon world. I love the cameras. I just no longer want to hold them at eye level for hours at a time. And variety is the spice girl of life.

A friend who has a bunch of Fuji equipment as well as a D800 has a lot of praise for the Fuji system, especially the lenses. And from what I've seen from him they're quite impressive.

He also recommends Photo Ninja as a raw processor vs any of the Adobe products. I've seen his tests and comparisons and I have to agree, Photo Ninja processed Fuji images are really, really good, even when compared to the best that Nikon has to offer.

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:40 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

I too am looking at a smaller system, but not quite ready to choose which. I like to handle small cameras and big boobs.

Kent in SD

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:42 PM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

I have both systems and will fallow your posts on the Alt threads. Too many cameras too little time

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:57 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

If I had to sell both my m43 and D800 gear to get just one system it would be Fuji and the XE-2 and/or XT-1.

Can't wait to see your images from it!

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:02 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

I just received my X-T1 on Thursday and pick up a 50-200 next wee. However, there are many shortcoming in this system that prevent it from being my only system, mainly manual focusing and its generally clunky interface, which tends to slow action down. But, I do love the camera and enjoy it for what it is. It is light, easy to carry, and a good travel camera.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

you'll be back good luck, enjoyed your work

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:52 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steff (and goodbye to Nikon)

Two23 wrote:
I too am looking at a smaller system, but not quite ready to choose which. I like to handle small cameras and big boobs.

X2. Especially the big boob part. Especially.....

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.