New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

TSLA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

After some heavy rains, I decided to try a little bit of slow shutter photography.

I'm semi-happy with the results, but I think the post processing could be better. I also think the composition could be better. Please C&C.

Ballona Creek by TSSB, on Flickr

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:03 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

I think you did the long-exposure water effect pretty well, assuming you're going to really smooth it out
The leading lines of the edges of concrete lead off into nothingness in the upper right corner. The wire in the top is unfortunately distracting. It's a tough composition for sure.

Maybe try shorter shutter speed to have a little more texture in the water, or being lower to get more emphasis on the water?

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:18 PM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

FarmerJohn wrote:
I think you did the long-exposure water effect pretty well, assuming you're going to really smooth it out
The leading lines of the edges of concrete lead off into nothingness in the upper right corner. The wire in the top is unfortunately distracting. It's a tough composition for sure.

Maybe try shorter shutter speed to have a little more texture in the water, or being lower to get more emphasis on the water?

Thanks for your reply, FarmerJohn.

The long-exposure water effect is what I was primarily going for. I feel better about this photo knowing that you think it came out pretty good.

I also wanted the water to appear as if it were starting from a small source and then gradually getting wider. Getting lower to the water, as you suggested, probably would have helped me achieve that look better.

I hadn't even notice the wires until you mentioned it. Thanks for that observation and comment. That's the kind of advice that I was hoping to get in posting this photo; that's to say, having people point out things that I didn't even notice. Thanks again!

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:42 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

It's a bit of a nit but the cut off treetops on the upper left bother me some. Perhaps they aren't a problem for anyone else, but if you get lower and shoot at a very slightly different angle you can include the treetops. I'd like to see a little more room at the top, too.

As pointed out earlier, getting a good composition from that particular location certainly presents difficulties.

keith

Mar 08, 2014 at 08:40 AM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

beanpkk wrote:
It's a bit of a nit but the cut off treetops on the upper left bother me some. Perhaps they aren't a problem for anyone else, but if you get lower and shoot at a very slightly different angle you can include the treetops. I'd like to see a little more room at the top, too.

As pointed out earlier, getting a good composition from that particular location certainly presents difficulties.

keith

Thanks, Keith.

I had always thought that I could take a picture pretty much anyway that I wanted to and then get the composition that I wanted in post, mainly by cropping. However, based on your comment and FarmerJohn's comment, there really isn't any substitution to getting the composition as correctly as possible when I take the picture. Lesson learned! I feel composition is one of my weak points so I'll definitely try to focus more on that from now on.

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

Mind adding the EXIF? The starburst effect of the distant light makes me think you stopped down. But I am not sure why the image looks soft in the mid-distance. Where did you focus?
Scott

Mar 09, 2014 at 10:57 AM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

sbeme wrote:
Mind adding the EXIF? The starburst effect of the distant light makes me think you stopped down. But I am not sure why the image looks soft in the mid-distance. Where did you focus?
Scott

f/11
25.0 sec
100 ISO
28mm

Focus was in the middle of the frame (after cropping, it's somewhere close to below the first row of cars where the water and cement meet).

Mar 09, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Spencer Cox

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

I like how the water looks in terms of form. What I think you could improve is perhaps shooting at sunrise/sunset or on a less cloudy day when there is more color in the sky. Because the water takes up so much room in the photo, it could make the photo more dramatic to have either deeper blues or brighter orange colors from sunset.

Also, maybe this is just me, but is the photo slightly tilted clockwise? I don't know, I may be wrong, but that was my first impression. If it is, it should be very easy to remove in PP because it is so slight.

I like the concept overall!

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:26 PM
TSLA
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

Spencer Cox wrote:
I like how the water looks in terms of form. What I think you could improve is perhaps shooting at sunrise/sunset or on a less cloudy day when there is more color in the sky. Because the water takes up so much room in the photo, it could make the photo more dramatic to have either deeper blues or brighter orange colors from sunset.

Also, maybe this is just me, but is the photo slightly tilted clockwise? I don't know, I may be wrong, but that was my first impression. If it is, it should be very easy to
...Show more

Thanks, Spencer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree - A little more color in the sky would have made this photo more dramatic. I'll take that into consideration the next time I do a shot like this. In this case, I had to strike while the iron was hot. That's to say that this canal only gets like this after a heavy rain, which isn't often around here. I walked by this canal the very next day when the sun had popped out and the amount of water in the canal had decreased quite significantly.

After looking at the photo again, it does look slightly tilted. I'll be sure to pay a little more attention to that in the future.

Mar 09, 2014 at 10:12 PM
brutigo

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slow Shutter Landscape Attempt

More details on the water

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.