New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Kris Reiswig
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Just wanted to report on my recent experience. I sent my lens in to see if they could get it to work on my Canon 1D classic camera. When I mount it, it comes up with an Error 99 on the camera.

Paid $19 to send it in and WOW, it came back a lot better! They did the 3 day turnaround as promised.

NOTE: The lens is not useable on the Canon 1D classic. A minor bummer, but not a deal breaker.

The lens is not so jumpy while holding in the back button focus on the 6d and 70d bodies. I'm really, really pleased with it now. An overall very positive experience.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Kris Reiswig wrote:
Just wanted to report on my recent experience. I sent my lens in to see if they could get it to work on my Canon 1D classic camera. When I mount it, it comes up with an Error 99 on the camera.

Paid $19 to send it in and WOW, it came back a lot better! They did the 3 day turnaround as promised.

NOTE: The lens is not useable on the Canon 1D classic. A minor bummer, but not a deal breaker.

The lens is not so jumpy while holding in the back button focus on the 6d and 70d
...Show more

You have me confused. There is no 1D classic. Perhaps you mean a 1D

You are really, really pleased with it now because it is not useable on the 1D, yet you sent it in to see if they could get it to work on your 1D. Makes no sense to me.

I am pretty sure Tamron did not mention that the lens would not be useable on a 1D.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:48 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Yes, it is a 1d. It is a very old camera. Tamron, obviously did not test the lens with this old camera. I'm not an angry person. They said send it in and I did. It came back better than I sent it. Don't be confused. It's not worth it. This was my first experience ever with Tamron service and getting a lens back that is sharper and better than when I sent it in was worth the $19.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:50 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Thanks for posting
Does it work in AI servo ? I'm on a back order list and lots say it won't work on 7 D .
I know you said 70 D .

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

As for AI servo mode. I've taken several hundred photos since the lens was returned. If I would set and keep the lens at 400mm, my results are pretty predictable, as was my 100-400 lens. The problem is that I can now go to 600mm and it is much more difficult and requires more practice to track at 600mm! My expectations are that the more I practice at 600mm, the better my results will be. I'll be going into an overnight photo blind on the Platte River to see the sandhill cranes next week. I'll be using this lens on a tripod, so I'm expecting that my results will be much better than hand holding. The AI servo mode is working with back button focus on both my 70d and 6d cameras.

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

It will be interesting to see how the version for Nikon performs. Tamron do not need problems similar to those in some of the Canon Forums in the Nikon counterparts. I'm sure I am not saying anything they don't already know.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:40 PM
Darrell Dorsey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Kris Reiswig wrote:
...The lens is not useable on the Canon 1D classic. A minor bummer, but not a deal breaker.

The lens is not so jumpy while holding in the back button focus on the 6d and 70d bodies. I'm really, really pleased with it now. An overall very positive experience.

Can you be a little clear on what you mean by "not useable"? Are you still getting an Error 99. Did Tamron say that this would always be the case? Why are you pleased? Did they adjust the focus so that it's sharper?

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

Yes, the Canon 1D still gives me an Error 99 on the Tamron lens. This is the original 4MP 1D camera. Game over for that combo. It was worth a shot and so I sent the lens in. Not upset in the least that it doesn't work....my 1D just comes out a couple of times a year anyway.

Tamron did not give me detailed notes back from the service, but I talked to the staff who said that a complete calibration was done on the lens. All I can say is that optically, I am very happy with how sharp it is. I'm not an optics expert, but the lens that I have now is way better than the way it was at time of purchase.

I am pleased because I have a super sharp, copy of my lens. I am pleased because they did a 3 day turnaround. I am pleased because I can call and talk directly to a tech. This was my first ever experience with Tamron, so I thought I'd report it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 04:27 PM
john paskey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Experience with Tamron USA and service on the 150-600

i bought one locally and tried it out in 17 degree weather since i wanted an eagle hunting lens a little longer than the sigma 150-500 or the 18lb canon 600f4

it quit after about an hour as the lens quit focusing in the cold - returned it

when it worked it was a good compromise

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.