Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

tweedcab

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

So I was interested in a lens in the buy and sell, and came across a request made by the seller for another potential purchaser to provide references because they had no feedback here on FM. Am I missing something? If the potential buyer has no feedback, but wants to purchase, then what is asking for references attempting to accomplish? You set an expectation for a time to pay by, you get your money, you get it transferred into your bank and viola, sale made. Just curious for a good reason to make the request. It just sounds rather stand offish,and if I were asked for references to part with my money, the real risk in non face to face transactions, then GLWS.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:17 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

A seller may be concerned about being defrauded through a fraudulent Paypal dispute or credit card chargeback, for example. No need to take a simple request personally, because there is risk for both parties. Given the recent incidences of scamming here, neither the buyer nor seller can be faulted for wanting to take extra precautions, including knowing just who it is they are dealing with.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:25 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

tweed cab,

Yo, don't hide under the covers you've got 3 GREAT feedbacks, one from a very highly respected member here. Yet, you have no profile filled out. You live in PA.... great, where? You haven't spent the $25 bucks for Upload and Sell - yeah, I know it's not required to buy - but what the hell, and now you're bent out of shape that somebody wants more info on you before he sells to you?

As Mitesh has correctly noted: there has been an influx of scammers here lately, probably in association with the fee structure on eBay and the relative ease with which it is for folks to gain membership here. So... don't take it personally. Put up the information on yourself.... it can't hurt and will clearly help.

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:23 AM
tweedcab

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

Ant,

It wasn't me who this was asked of. Read the OP. Simply an observation. I'm not at all bent over it. Lol Long and short is if you get paid and take the time to withdraw your money before shipping, then as a seller there is little to be worried about. Provided you use common sense, you are going to get your $. Fyi, already paid for the B&S. The time expired after I sold my stuff. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Anyway, nothing wrong with protecting yourself that's for sure. It just struck me that it's usually in the reverse.

So with countless PayPal transactions since the site started I guess I have been lucky to have not experienced this fraud. You guys answered my question. Fyi, I'm in Warrington, PA.

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:00 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · References requested to "buy" in the B&S forum

Anthony, I think you were a bit hard on tweed, who seemed to ask a logical question.

Tweed, you state that you had a B&S membership that has already expired, yet your membership started on Jan 14th? I was not aware there were 1 month memberships, but that could be my own naivety.

I think Mitesh's response was spot on. I think there is also the issue of selling to somebody who has a history of complaining and providing negative feedback! There is certainly a small group of people that do this, buy something, give negative feedback (or threaten to) unless the seller refunds part of their money. If I see a person who has given negative feedback to people that otherwise have excellent feedback, I become suspicious of them as well.

As a business owner, I can honestly say, there are just some people you don't want as customers!

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password