New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

duparis00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Still too cold to go out but I got the 4x5 in January and I've been dying to use it. So I removed the panels from my living room window and shot the only thing I had a good view of lol.

Got a lot of learning to do. Out of 6 exposures I only got 2 right; duplicates of this one. The others I missed focus trying to use swing and tilt movement to create the toy/miniature effect.

Shot with a Nagaoka 4x5, Kodak Portra 160ns, scanned with Epson v700.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

The minature effect is nice and different. I have a TS-E lens and hope to try this technique at some time also.
BUT...the sensor appears to be very dirty. I see dust, dirt and other all through the image. Plus the noise is very pronounced.
The kiosk at the center bottom is distracting as well.
But I do like the attempt at minaturization and the taillight trails.
You are a step or more ahead of me in that regards!
Dan

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:31 AM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

COOL shot!

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Danpbphoto wrote:
BUT...the sensor appears to be very dirty. I see dust, dirt and other all through the image. Plus the noise is very pronounced.

Did you miss the part where this was shot with film? Or is my joke detector simply not up to operating temperature yet?

OP, nice photo!

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

^ +1.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:03 AM
larrison_c

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

This really does look like a miniature play set. Great job!

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Fast6 wrote:
Did you miss the part where this was shot with film? Or is my joke detector simply not up to operating temperature yet?

OP, nice photo!

I did and I did not..film or scanner platen is dirty. If you scanned it I would think you have post processing tools..if it was on the film then you might want to clean it and the scanner glass before scanning.
Sorry.. I was offering constructive suggestions to better his post not making it a "joke" as you imply.
Dan

Edited on Mar 07, 2014 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:22 PM
bf5hpjg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Fast6 wrote:

OP, nice photo!

Whether your "joke detector" is not up to temp yet has nothing to do with dirty film or scanner glass. I does however detract form the image be it film or digital.. I believe the poster, Dan, was trying to help the person out not slam him as you infer.
Angelo

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:32 PM
PatrickDixon10
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Danpbphoto wrote:
The minature effect is nice and different. I have a TS-E lens and hope to try this technique at some time also.
The kiosk at the center bottom is distracting as well.
But I do like the attempt at minaturization and the taillight trails.
You are a step or more ahead of me in that regards!
Dan

You did a good job with the TS-E miniturization process. It certainly looks that way.

I too see quite a bit of dust, dirt, whatever either on the film or the scanner's platen.

And as to "Fast6" I don't see where "joke detector temps" has anything to do with "artifacts" detracting the composition. The poster was giving a serious constructive cririque of the image while also complimenting him on his work!
Patrick

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:49 PM
duparis00

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Thanks for the replies guys. You know at first I didn't notice much spot/dust marks now after so many comments about it, it's all I see in the image now, I'm actually finding more than I noticed before. I think I was really caught up on getting the major parts right.

I'll go back and spot the scan to improve the image.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:12 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

duparis00 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. You know at first I didn't notice much spot/dust marks now after so many comments about it, it's all I see in the image now, I'm actually finding more than I noticed before. I think I was really caught up on getting the major parts right.

I'll go back and spot the scan to improve the image.

Nothing wrong with that at all! Been there done that many times...it is part of learning.
Dan

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tilt Shift Large Format Shot

Sheesh.

Clearly declared film photograph, comment about dirty sensor.

Regardless of whether some cleanup of the photo is prudent or not (it is), and regardless of whether the comment was intended as sarcastic or not (it was not), no one else sees the humor in the situation?

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:15 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.