Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Manfrotto 393 gimbal

bitterroot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

Anyone use this Gimbal with canon 100-400 lens? Is this lens better off being hand held for BIF? I would like to get this as it seems like an affordable option for me, but am interested in feedback first. Thanks

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:16 AM
kzoockof
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

I have this gimbal head and I love it. I actually got rid of the Wimberly because I like this head better.

That being said, I have not used a lens as small as the 100-400 on it. I have used two lenses on this head, a Canon 500mm and a Sigma 300-800 mm lens on it. For both of those lenses it is great.

I have a 70-200 2.8 IS V2 and a Canon 400mm 5.6 lenses (referenced due to similar size as your lens). I have not used either of these lenses on this head and the tripod I use that head on. I, use these lenses on a ballhead, but you know, the truth be told, I like the gimbal head better than the motion/balance with the ballhead and maybe should try them on the MF Gimbal. Usually, both those lenses are shot hand held anyway.

The one main thing I don't like about the 393 gimbal is that the spin or rotation is cumbersome to change in the field. It uses an allan head screw, which in my opinion should be replaced with a manual permanently installed knob. If you don't get any other replies, PM me and I'll get out my 400mm and try it on this head and let you know what I think.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

bitterroot wrote:
...Is this lens better off being hand held for BIF?

Yes. Handheld, or on a monopod. Unless it's far away, in which case a beanbag is good.

bitterroot wrote:
Anyone use this Gimbal ...

I used it many years ago for big lenses, like the SMC Pentax 500/4.5 and Nikkor * ED 400mm f/3.5, but then I switched to all Arca-Swiss (A-S) clamps and etc., and picked up a Wimberley Sidekick for tripod work with big lenses (which I rarely do) - it's all monopod and handheld for my 500/4L IS, and 100-400L IS.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Davis B.
• • •
p.1 #4 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

I did a small modification to mine

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:03 PM
martines34
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

I have a friend who also modified his by installing ball bearings for a smoother rotation action both left and right and up and down, in addition to the knobs!!. It helps if you are mechanically inclined.

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:16 PM
MP79
• •
p.1 #6 · Manfrotto 393 gimbal

I use mine on a monopod and it works pretty good. I even mounted a cheap Desmond DAC-02 60mm QR Clamp onto the large lens plate it comes with to make it Arca Swiss compatible. It's a bit fussy getting the clamp in the right spot on the plate to make things easy to balance, but once everything is adjusted it works well for my Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS and 400mm f/5.6L. I wouldn't want to try using this mod for anything larger though like a 500mm f4 or a 300mm 2.8 for example, but then I don't own such a lens, so for me it's all good.

When using a tripod though I prefer my Jobu gimbal, which is more similar in design to a Wimberley.

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password