Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

SKumar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

lenticular11 wrote:
If only Australia had such generous consumer laws, permitting us to have the same 30-day try-and-return policy. I'm envious...

I'm glad they don't. Would hate to buy a "new" item that someone has tried out for a month.

Mar 11, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

SKumar25 wrote:
I'm glad they don't. Would hate to buy a "new" item that someone has tried out for a month.

Those are usually sold at a discount and marked as returned items.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

lenticular11 wrote:
If only Australia had such generous consumer laws, permitting us to have the same 30-day try-and-return policy. I'm envious...

It's not a law, it's just what some retailers choose to do to entice customers.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:31 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

lenticular11 wrote:

BTW, yourshots of the lighthouse on the shore of one of the Great Lakes, taken with the 7R and the EF 70-200/2.8L II were absolutely stunning!

Thanks so much! And now, I have sold that lens along with most of my Canon DSLR gear. I've kept my Zeiss ZE collection however.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:34 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Not corner to corner but quite sharp.

Edited on Mar 30, 2014 at 02:46 AM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Another review (FE 24-70mm f/4)
So far, the most honest review I've read on this lens.
http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4645

At 24mm corrected

At 35mm corrected

At 55mm corrected

At 70mm corrected

Mar 23, 2014 at 06:30 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

I generally like this guy's reviews because he has a very practical mind and very little bias.

Mar 23, 2014 at 06:44 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Fred Miranda wrote:
Another review (FE 24-70mm f/4)
So far, the most honest review I've read on this lens.
http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4645

Wow, he won't even put up a referral link to the lens because of how poorly he rates it. Ouch.

Mar 23, 2014 at 06:45 PM
serhan_
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Klaus also posted his review samples at photozone, so his review should be available soon:

review photos

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/3610-carl-zeiss-fe-24-70mm-f4-oss-samples/

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

SLRgear posted their review on the Sony FE 24-70mm f/4 OSS lens.
Here is an excerpt:

"Despite carrying the Zeiss branding, which is typically indicative of high quality results, the Sony FE 24-70 Zeiss lens unfortunately misses the mark. At 24mm, the lens displays good sharpness right in the center of the frame, even wide open, but outwards and especially in the deep corners it's noticeably soft. Surprisingly, even stopping down doesn't improved the corner softness at 24mm, and by /16-/22, diffraction comes into play and reduces sharpness all around even more."

This review is more in line with the impressions from FM members including my own.
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1654/cat/83

I will update this thread when Klaus at Photozone posts his review. I am confident his tests will confirm that the Zeiss zoom performs poorly at 24mm in the corners and at 70mm @f/4.
Fred

Sony FE 24-70mm @24mm f/8

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sjredo

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Do the people that have this lens find it so bad as the reviews says? Is it any better after software corrections? I ordered one (still don't have my hands on it) and these comments can get pretty scary sometimes.

Does it at least carry the micro contrasty zeiss look? Is the build quality good? Does it perform much worse than the canon or just the EXTREME corners?

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Sjredo wrote:
Do the people that have this lens find it so bad as the reviews says? Is it any better after software corrections? I ordered one (still don't have my hands on it) and these comments can get pretty scary sometimes.

Does it at least carry the micro contrasty zeiss look? Is the build quality good? Does it perform much worse than the canon or just the EXTREME corners?

My impressions are that the Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 is quite excellent from 35mm to around 55mm at f/5.6 and f/8 (center and comers). Both contrast and color rendition is Zeiss.

The biggest issue is the wide angle range performance (24-30mm) and 70mm. However, at 70mm, the lens give good results when stopping down to f/8.
Distortion and vignetting are both high when not corrected in software.

An alternative would be to get the FE 35mm and 55mm primes instead.
Fred

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:55 AM
Sjredo

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

I'm coming from a NEX6 APSC with the "awful" 16-50 pancake lens... will the difference be there or will it just be a better kit lens? :|

Although I've seen photos from enthusiasts with this lens that are just breathtaking.

I kinda need the lens to start doing some paid work... My other option was turning to Fuji, but man that 16-55 looks like it'll weight a ton :|

Mar 29, 2014 at 02:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Photozone's review is out:
http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/867-zeiss2470f4oss

Mar 29, 2014 at 04:33 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Sjredo wrote:

I'm a lensaholic and will find just about any excuse (IQ, size, handling, rarity, pedigree, unique design, bang for the buck, etc.) to buy a lens. I very very rarely return a lens except when I have a bad copy (decentered, typically) and exchange it for another copy.

The FE 24-70 was one of the those rare cases where a lens was so crappy I returned it. I tried it in the store a got and razor sharp portrait of the saleman. That was enough for me and I bought it. Turned out that pic was between 40-50mm which is the only focal length at which the lens shines. Trying it in the field for 3 days I got so many crappy pictures, really disappointing images, that I returned it. Maybe it was a lemon, but it was good in the 40's so I don't think so.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:32 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

While everybody talks about 35-50 being good, i find 24 to 40 especially satisfying for my usage.
I do people shots and center being awesome from 24 to 40, it will serve me fine. Extreme corners are not important and corners are not bad at all. In real life use, half the time extreme corners dont matter anyway because of the subject that they cover.
Its especially fine because i can shoot wide open and center will still be excellent at most FLs.
There aint a whole lot of lenses available from 24 to 35. Infact this is the only one that AFs.
If i were a landscape shooter, yes, this would have been a bummer. Even then i dont find it a whole lot worse than the Nikon, wide open.
Add to this that my copy is quite decent, and giving benefit of doubt to the fact that i am not that technically incliend/learned, my copy seems very sharp even in the corners, and surprisingly, less sharp when stopped down. Maybe user error.
All in all, its a general purpose lens with those compromises built in, just a bit more than the Nikon i think. Its not that you have many great standard zooms available in the market.

Mar 29, 2014 at 06:50 AM
Julio Marcos
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Got my copy this week - I ordered it even after hearing the initial reports of the corners not sharpening up at 24mm. Phillip Reeve's sample pictures looked very nice, so why not try it?
I love primes, my main system is the RX-1 with 35mm, which is fantastic. The FE 55mm with the A7 is incredible too. With a zoom, I can compromise a bit as long as the image is pleasant, has great center, and overall good quality to say 90%-95% of the image circle. This would be for family/vacation, so no ultra-demanding landscape photography.

So far I really like the colors and the micro-contrast of the my 24-70. Overall sharpness is great across the zoom range, even 70mm at f/4 (I see no difference vs. 60mm or 50mm - where is that softness?). The uncorrected extreme corners at 24mm are indeed dark at f/4 and not that sharp. Vignetting looks more natural at f/5.6, and once the automatic profile is in LR, it should automatically crop-out the very extreme corners. In that respect it reminds me of the latest Nikon 24-120mm, I can live with that. I pointed it towards the afternoon sun at the wide settings and could barely get any flare, that is fantastic!!

Compared to the 28-70mm kit lens, the 24-70 is giving me the edge I really wanted. Better sharpness across the image, with that bite that I was missing. Not that the kit lens is bad, it's actually pretty decent, but for my needs, the extra expense of the 24-70 is worth it while keeping the weight and system size to something I can enjoy.

Mar 29, 2014 at 08:29 AM
DavidBM

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

I've been using for quite a while; I need something no bigger than it for for lightweight hiking over many days.
It's pretty good at over a lot of its range; but I can confirm that the corners are pretty bad and never sharpen at close distances at 24mm (seem a little better at medium distances to infinity). And, like the reviews say, not great wide open at 70: which is the most annoying thing for me, because for people work I want to use it wide open at the long end to blur the background.

It is pretty small for an FF 24-70 (67mm filter size is the smallest of any of them including the Canon f4). I don't know if it could be better at this size. It's a useful lens for what it is - I'm going to keep it because there is no alternative for some of my needs (and the FE primes and a few other Canon and Zeiss lenses fill the other needs). But it's not the kind of zoom you can use and not expect to notice much difference from your good primes, other than perhaps speed.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Got the lens this past week and did some quick comparisons with my Canon 24-70 f4. While the color and contrast was very nice and central sharpness good, the edges and corners are awful, except for 50 which is pretty good. As stated in previous posts, the edges get better in the 35-55 range, but the Canon 24-70 f4 easily beats it at all the focal lengths, except 50. I am guessing that my sample is at the low end of the quality control range. I will be sending the lens back.

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

out of curiosity, for those who have used both this lens and the kit zoom, does the OS appear to function equally well between the two lenses?

Mar 29, 2014 at 03:47 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password