New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

tashley1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

You have a point but don't forget, a 50% view is equal to a 36" print. My rule of thumb is that if the file looks good at 100% on a retina screen, which is 220 dpi, then I know it'll make a very acceptable 30" print.

My standard fine art print size for sales is a tad over 21" on the long side. This lens is capable of of doing that well with nearly all subjects at nearly all focal lengths. Of course, if the scene is something I really want to print hugely, I will use a prime, or my IQ180 with a Rodenstock on a technical camera... but huge prints don't sell as well - most people don't have the wall space.

I had a couple of 21" prints that sold at an auction last year for £1500 each. They were in editions of 25. A few other images from other people sold at around £7,000 in editions of 5. The math favours smaller prints in larger editions for me but everyone's buyers are different.

Last comment: I treat the D800 and the A7R as 'oversampling devices'. An RX1 file at 100% looks much nicer. But my prints are pretty much always at 200 DPI or higher resolutions so I really mostly care about a 50% view on a 100dpi monitor, or a 100% retina view. For those uses, this zoom shot at 50mm is so close to the 55mm F1.8 that for most subjects I just don't care about the difference!

EDIT: but I should add that I am not much of a 'cropper' - more a slow and deliberate shooter: I treat it as if I were shooting film, trying to get as much right in camera as I can...

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:32 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Dxo has tested canon 24-70/4 on 5DIII.
The results of Zeiss 24-70 on A7 are very poor in comparison. It compares well to 24-120/4 on D800.
Am i missing something? Is Canon 24-70 F4 so good?

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:10 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Well drats, mine seems decentered. Or the 28-70 kit lens I have is really, really, really stellar (much better at the corners). Phooo-ey.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:27 PM
tashley1

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Jono Slack also has a really really good 28-70. Mine is, ehem, less good.

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

To check for decentering, use a resolution chart and have your camera squared to it.
Another option is to follow these steps:
http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/830-do-it-yourself-centering-sanity-check

I doubt so many copies are decentered but it's possible. I have a well-centered copy and the lens is soft in the extreme corners from 24 until 30mm. That is the case even focusing on the corners and stopping down. The good news is that when we have high astigmatism, we usually have well controlled field curvature. To check it while in live view, focus on an extreme corner and then refocus after moving the focusing point to the center. See if the distance changed. I tested this with distances close to infinity and didn't get much variation in distance.

I agree that it's a zoom and there will be compromises but after the release of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon shooters got very spoiled.
For my landscape needs, the lens is great center to corners from 30-60mm. Some may consider carrying 2 lenses for that range instead. (35 f/2.8 and 55 f/1.8)

Regardless of its wide angle IQ limitations, I really like the FE 24-70 f/4 for its size, weight, build and image stabilization and will be carrying it during strenuous hiking.

Fred

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:44 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

I squared up and shot at my rock fireplace w/ a tripod and self timer. My 24-70 appears to be off on the right side at 35, 50, and 70mm tested @ 5.6.

Kit lens is considerably better looking re: centering. For the price, I'd expect it to match the kit, at least? So the question is do you accept the lens as is or not so much?

I thought for sure the 24-70 would kick the stuffing out of the 28-70 at 50mm and at 70mm... FWIW, both my kit 5N lens and my kit A7 lenses have been pretty decent. Guess I won the kit lens lottery.

right corner, 28-70 on left, 24-70 on right

@50mm

upper right, note the kit lens is wide open here

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Kinda surprised there isn't already a cottage industry dedicated to reselling Sony lenses at very small markups but after vetting them for things like decentering.

AKA: Sony, really, how much would it cost you to test these things?

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:25 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

I had always wished Lens Rentals would offer this service. I'd be buyin'.

Edited on Mar 08, 2014 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:30 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Kinda surprised there isn't already a cottage industry dedicated to reselling Sony lenses at very small markups but after vetting them for things like decentering.

I believe Lensrentals provides an optical test report for some of the used lenses they sell.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:35 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Yeah, I have noticed it on some used lenses... The Zeiss's that I have drooled over, in particular.

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regardless of its wide angle IQ limitations, I really like the FE 24-70 f/4 for its size, weight, build and image stabilization and will be carrying it during strenuous hiking.

The only reason I see for getting it for landscape use over a Zeiss 3.4/35-70 or even a Minolta 3.5/35-70, which will both give better corners, is the image stabilizer and better flare resistance (at least for the Minolta, I don't own the Zeiss 35-70).
As I usually carry a tripod and because I have to manage my limited resources I sold my copy.

Mar 09, 2014 at 01:59 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Yesterday, I was at a local camera store who was holding a copy of the 24-70/FE for me. I was determined to buy this lens based on a lot of the reviews here and elsewhere knowing its limitations. I shot a number of frames in the store at various focal lengths checking the corners through the LCD. I just couldn't pull the trigger and make the purchase because the corners looked too smeared and filled with CA. Maybe it was that copy (the only one in the store). I had also returned a 16-70/4 E mount. It is a very good lens but only works in crop mode on the A7r and delivers 16mp vs. full frame 36. So, I ended coming home empty handed.

What held me back is that I also have a new Fuji X-T1 whose kit lens (18-55) is stellar in comparison, IMHO. So, in the end, I felt I would be disappointed had I purchased the lens. Maybe I should buy the lens, keep it for up to 30 days and decide to keep or return.

Mar 09, 2014 at 08:33 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

For my limited usage of zooms/AF/IS,the copy of 28-70kit that I got is OK.Good to very good on the A7 and very good on the NEX5N/7.The 24-70/4 is a disappointment.I'd rather spend my money on some other interesting MF lenses.

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:05 AM
waterden
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Almost diametrically opposed opinions here. I have been tempted by this zoom because of its AF but I think my OM Zuiko 24/2.8 and Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro will probably be a better combination, not withstanding the extra bulk and lack of AF. Of course it is easier to walk around with a one-size-fits-all lens but I think this may encourage a tendency to laziness and indiscriminate snapping although I can see its virtues for hikers.

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

waterden wrote:
Almost diametrically opposed opinions here. I have been tempted by this zoom because of its AF but I think my OM Zuiko 24/2.8 and Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro will probably be a better combination, not withstanding the extra bulk and lack of AF. Of course it is easier to walk around with a one-size-fits-all lens but I think this may encourage a tendency to laziness and indiscriminate snapping although I can see its virtues for hikers.

It seems like the reviews pretty much agree that the lens overall image quality is great with very low CA and a pleasant rendering. Flare resistance, size, weight and build quality are also pluses. However, those expecting great corner performance at the wide angle range will be disappointed.

I have never shot with Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8 but from what I've read, the Zeiss seems to be at least equally good is not better at most focal lengths. Most of the praise for the Zeiss is coming from photographers comparing it to Nikon lenses.

When comparing it to the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II + adapter, the Canon zoom is vastly superior at the wide angle range on the A7R. The negatives are very slow AF when using with the Metabones adapter, weight/bulk (because it's a stop faster) and lack of image stabilization.
Fred

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

As long as we're mentioning tests for decentered lenses, I thought I would post this link to Roger's quick and easy to perform test:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/testing-for-a-decentered-lens-an-old-technique-gets-a-makeover

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:12 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Taylor Sherman wrote:

It's not financially feasible to do with Imatest - it's too time consuming. It might be doable on an optical bench, though, and that's something I'm looking into.

The question becomes, what do you do with the lenses that aren't the best? Returning them is not an option.

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:46 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

rji2goleez wrote:
Yesterday, I was at a local camera store who was holding a copy of the 24-70/FE for me. I was determined to buy this lens based on a lot of the reviews here and elsewhere knowing its limitations. I shot a number of frames in the store at various focal lengths checking the corners through the LCD. I just couldn't pull the trigger and make the purchase because the corners looked too smeared and filled with CA. Maybe it was that copy (the only one in the store). I had also returned a 16-70/4 E mount. It is a very
...Show more

Well, I went back to my local store and picked up the lens. I figure I have 30 days to enjoy it and decide if I like it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 06:24 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

Roger, we know you are testing this lens as we talk

RCicala wrote:
It's not financially feasible to do with Imatest - it's too time consuming. It might be doable on an optical bench, though, and that's something I'm looking into.

The question becomes, what do you do with the lenses that aren't the best? Returning them is not an option.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:12 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 Reviews

rji2goleez wrote:
Well, I went back to my local store and picked up the lens. I figure I have 30 days to enjoy it and decide if I like it.

If only Australia had such generous consumer laws, permitting us to have the same 30-day try-and-return policy. I'm envious...

BTW, yourshots of the lighthouse on the shore of one of the Great Lakes, taken with the 7R and the EF 70-200/2.8L II were absolutely stunning!

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:29 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.