Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WOW, who does this sound like!

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/so-how-do-you-fix-what.html

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:26 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Andre Labonte wrote:

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Maybe you could just PM Fred and ask him to set up an auto-post system for every time Thom posts an article... might save you some time

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:49 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WOW, who does this sound like!

a bored person

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:51 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Andre Labonte wrote:

Who does it sound like? A right know all.

I suspect that Hogan would come a cropper were he to run a camera company.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Oh you guys are no fun ... grumpy old men.

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:55 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WOW, who does this sound like!

I must say that I get a little tired of those people complaining all the time about camera's that don't exist.

Today there are plenty of excellent camera's to choose from for your hobby (or profession) in all possible sizes, formats, qualities, prices, etc.

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:57 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Andre Labonte wrote:
Oh you guys are no fun ... grumpy old men.

Says who?

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:58 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WOW, who does this sound like!

I still don't get this "missing" segment of Nikon.

Landscapes? D800E
Sports? D4(s)
Everyday? D800/DF/D600
Wildlife? Big glass on D800/D4
Too poor for big glass? D7100

Add in that the D700, D3, and D3s are still very relevant and there's really no shortcomings in the lineup at all.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:08 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Andre Labonte wrote:

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Nima M
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WOW, who does this sound like!

it sounds like somebody who just wants attention

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:06 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Sounds like some people need a sense of humour transplant. FM wouldn't be the same without you and your D400 angst Andre ! Good on ya mate, keep the hope alive !

Andy

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:54 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WOW, who does this sound like!

and I agree with pretty much everything in the article BTW

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:54 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Jason_Brook wrote:

Landscapes? D800E
Sports? D4(s)
Everyday? D800/DF/D600

Add in that the D700, D3, and D3s are still very relevant and there's really no shortcomings in the lineup at all.

Don't say that, Thom will have nothing to write about.

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:28 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Hey Andre,

I can identify with your frustration. Obviously not the end of the world but no worries if one is frustrated. I had similar frustrations with Canon and that is why I now shoot Nikon.

You were hoping for a D300 replacement and it has not happened. And the D7100 is close but Nikon crippled some of the features you want/need. When Canon crippled the outer af points of the 5d2 I was frustrated. Not to mention no spot metering feature with all af points. I could not afford a full frame 1 series body so after I vented I moved on and picked up a D700. I have been very happy ever since!

The way I see it . . . business make decisions based on what they deem necessary for their profits.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WOW, who does this sound like!

cadman342001 wrote:
and I agree with pretty much everything in the article BTW

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:30 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · WOW, who does this sound like!

At the risk of being labeled a whiner, I have to agree with both Andre and the article. I would have liked to see Nikon follow the path that they had been on. It's predictable and makes it easy to decide on upgrade paths.

As of late, who the heck knows what they are going to do next?

I think the biggest problem with this unpredictability is that, in the past, when a competitor offered something appealing, you kind of knew what was coming next with Nikon, so it was easier to just wait until the camera was announced. You were in the system and you liked shooting with that style body.

Right now, that's out the window. If the rumored Canon 7DMKII comes out as expected / hoped in the next few months, D300 shooters would, rightly, be tempted to switch - after all Nikon seems to have abandoned them. No reason to hang on and see what the D400 would be like - it's long past due for an update and Nikon seems to have abandoned that market segment.

At this point I think the only cameras certain to be updated in Nikon's lineup are the D4s (to D5 in a couple years), and the lower end models. Who knows if we'll ever see another pro "X" model, or even a D800 replacement (if you don't believe me, ask the D700 people still waiting for a real replacement).

Don't get me wrong, I can get the pics I want with my current gear, but it could be better (36~54Mp D4x in my case that seems to have been abandoned, since the "x" model has always come before the "s").

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:52 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · WOW, who does this sound like!

+1 with Steve.

And, no mention of DX or FX mirrorless systems from Nikon.

I would love a mirrorless FX body - even with 16MP - that had a great EVF and was compatible with AFS glass. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they kept the current mount registration distance as I'd be mainly after the mirrorless advantages and not necessarily a smaller body (though a smaller body would be welcomed for the most part if it wasn't too small).

I believe Nikon is going mirrorless with DX and is waiting for the sensor and EVF technology to become good enough. Don't know if it will be the low end of DX that goes mirrorless first or the high end. Same thing with FX (though likely a high end FX mirrorless first I would guess).

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:09 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · WOW, who does this sound like!

Jason_Brook wrote:

Landscapes? D800E
Sports? D4(s)
Everyday? D800/DF/D600

Hey Jason, you sure nailed it. The only thing missing is some common sense, and an appreciation for the fantastic cameras already out there. I am thinking in life, you can either focus on what you think you are missing, or focus on what you already have and use it. To always be focused on what one is missing or perceives to be missing will lead to a very unsatisfied life.

Jim

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:32 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · WOW, who does this sound like!

I agree with you Steve on everything you stated. I am one of those D700 users that has been waiting for an update ...... ... waiting........and will still wait. But I dont go on and on how Nikon should and would !

Its just like beating a dead horse - we all know about it, Nikon knows about ( I hope ) but everyone just keeps brining these topics back and adding salt to the cut

Just Wait People

Steve Perry wrote:
At the risk of being labeled a whiner, I have to agree with both Andre and the article. I would have liked to see Nikon follow the path that they had been on. It's predictable and makes it easy to decide on upgrade paths.

As of late, who the heck knows what they are going to do next?

I think the biggest problem with this unpredictability is that, in the past, when a competitor offered something appealing, you kind of knew what was coming next with Nikon, so it was easier to just wait until the camera was announced.
...Show more

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.