FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tropical Flower

gernertt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tropical Flower

Would you believe this came from a phone? I took this with my new Lumia Icon. Not bad. It's almost as good as my 6D.

© T&L Photography 2013

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:52 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tropical Flower

Nice hibiscus shot. Amazing what phones can do

Birdie

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:55 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tropical Flower

Pretty flower. Looks like your phone takes much better pics than mine.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:45 PM
gernertt
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tropical Flower

Thanks. Nokia has really stepped up its game when it comes to smart phones. I'm not entirely sure I could have gotten as good as a shot with my Canon EOS-6D. Hmmm...I think I will try with my 6D tomorrow and compare.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:28 PM
gernertt
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tropical Flower

Ok. Here are some comparison shots between my Canon EOS-6D w/ EF50mm Lens and my Nokia Lumia Icon. I used the same ISO (ISO 100) for both shots and to even come close with DoF, I set the Canon to aperture priority at f/16. Lighting conditions were identical for both shots. Both were processed in Adobe Lightroom CC. I used the same level of sharpness adjustments on both.

Tell me what you think.

Tim

© T&L Photography 2013

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:27 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tropical Flower

Interesting Tim. A quick glance only shows the reds being a little hot on the phone shot ~ Ron

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:03 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tropical Flower

Yes it dose not look like a DSLR photo, too much DOF

Morris

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:16 AM
gernertt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tropical Flower

@Surfnron - True, that is one thing that the phone can't do. The DNG file embeds a profile that I can't change. It's the ONLY thing I can't change. The Canon allows me to select a color profile (i.e. Landscape).

@Morris - Yes, THAT is the biggest disadvantage to phone cameras and most point and shoot cameras. The sensor sizes for those types of cameras are tiny when compared to DSLRs. To even get a decent DoF on the Canon I had to stop down to f/16; that was the lowest I could go and still get a good handheld shot.

Nokia has a REALLY cool app though. It is called Nokia Refocus. It allows you to take a picture then dynamically refocus after image capture. It's pretty slick.

In the end, my Icon is not replacing my 6D. There are obvious advantages that my 6D has over my Nokia Icon and my Pentax WG-3 GPS. Larger sensor, inter-changable lenses and much greater image control post capture. However, my Pentax does time lapse and is waterproof; and my Icon is in my pocket pretty much where ever I go. So at all times, I have a pretty powerful camera at my disposal.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tropical Flower

excellent detail for a phone

Mar 09, 2014 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.